Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I did the biggest thing I've feared in cars, I swapped my calipers and bled the brakes. Went well. I want to change my lines out for steel lines. I would like to know what kind of brake line plug I could use to stop fluid from draining while I remount the calipers, and then position the lines for quick install. What size are our lines and is there a part # for this brake line plug? Thanks

I searched the forum for brake AND plug and there were no results

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
When I did my swap i just made sure the brake pedal was depressed fully (you will have to crack the bleeder valve) and then find a way to keep the pedal depressed. I used my seat and an old vacuum straight hose. What you are doing is closing off access to the master cylinder not allowing it to gravity drain. I left my car like that over night when i painted my calipers and only had a nominal amount of air to bleed out. master cylinder tank stayed full over night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent, i will do this when replacing my brake lines, i have a cinder block here at my house i can use that to keep the pedal depressed.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart GT 1994 M998A1
30 Posts
Reviving this because there's a product just for this kind of thing. The FLSBAN by S.U.R.&R. AUTO PARTS INC. is a spring-loaded clamp assembly that's meant to plug banjo bolts. It's less than $10 from Grainger and I also saw it listen on Napa's website. I attached a PDF that has a few images of it and its variations in use. I haven't used one myself, but it looks like something I'm going to get soon for how often I work on brakes and how much I hate to work around a caliper being hung up on the suspension.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Reviving this because there's a product just for this kind of thing. The FLSBAN by S.U.R.&R. AUTO PARTS INC. is a spring-loaded clamp assembly that's meant to plug banjo bolts. It's less than $10 from Grainger and I also saw it listen on Napa's website. I attached a PDF that has a few images of it and its variations in use. I haven't used one myself, but it looks like something I'm going to get soon for how often I work on brakes and how much I hate to work around a caliper being hung up on the suspension.
I guess this is good if you have other vehicles, but this looks like it would be useless for a Dart, which does not use banjo bolts. My brake lines didn't drip more than a few drops when I removed my rear calipers using the exact method described by @Bullfrog. I used a rigid vacuum extension to press the seat into the brake pedal to keep the brakes applied.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
I guess this is good if you have other vehicles, but this looks like it would be useless for a Dart, which does not use banjo bolts. My brake lines didn't drip more than a few drops when I removed my rear calipers using the exact method described by @Bullfrog. I used a rigid vacuum extension to press the seat into the brake pedal to keep the brakes applied.

Laws of fluid dynamics. and knowing exactly how systems work.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart GT 1994 M998A1
30 Posts
Whoops! I've been working on so many cars lately with banjo bolts that I forgot the dart was different. You should still be able to use the other tools in the series, the FLS516, FLS38, or FLS12 (I haven't taken any effort to know what the size is of the fitting to know which of those is most appropriate for the Dart). These other ones are designed to clip onto the end of a flared fitting and seal it.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Whoops! I've been working on so many cars lately with banjo bolts that I forgot the dart was different. You should still be able to use the other tools in the series, the FLS516, FLS38, or FLS12 (I haven't taken any effort to know what the size is of the fitting to know which of those is most appropriate for the Dart). These other ones are designed to clip onto the end of a flared fitting and seal it.
There's really no need. As long as the brake pedal is kept pressed, the brake lines won't lose fluid. I had my rear calipers off for over 8 hours and lost no fluid at all from the car, just what was in the caliper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts