Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I come to those of you this morning that live in areas that have snow fall greater than 3" and that ends up sticking and not melting instantly...

Now that the snow has started to fall here in Illinois, the stupidity has also started back up.

What I mean by that is the extreme laziness and stupidity that prevents people from cleaning their vehicles off before driving away from their house.

If your car sits outside over night and has the potential to be covered by snowfall from the night before, MAKE SURE that you go outside and COMPLETELY uncover your car!!! And when I say COMPLETELY, I mean COMPLETELY...

Don't sit there and leave 3.5" of snow sitting on the roof of your car and have the mentality "Its fine, it'll just blow off when I'm driving 55MPH down the street!"

That is horribly reckless and can cause some serious injuries and sometimes death. What you dont realize is that most times that snow will melt on top of your car and end up creating a layer of ice underneath all the snow that is sitting on top of the roof. Then when youre driving 55MPH down the street that snow and ice can get thrown from your car... It may not bother you that the ice is getting thrown from the top of your car, but the it'll definitely bother the people behind you, as there is a chance that the snow and ice flying off your car will not only hit the cars behind you but potentially cause damage to their cars or even break someone's windshield and cause an accident.

I was on my way to work this morning and the amount of people who left the 5" of snow that fell yesterday on the top of their cars was sickening, there were also multiple times where not only I, but other drivers on busy roads had to make evasive maneuvers to avoid being hit by these flying pieces of ice and snow...

I've seen it all too many times, cars being hit by this flying ice and snow, having it break their windshield, not being able to see, and crashing...

So, I say to you, the members of the .ORG... DONT BE LAZY A-HOLES! MAKE SURE TO COMPLETELY CLEAN YOU CAR OFF AFTER THE SNOW FALLS!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
its a law in PA you have to clear your car because of that.
It's probably a law everywhere that gets snow, but then so is "don't go 60km/h in 40km/h school zones". If people can't be bothered not to go 150% of the speed limit in a busy school zone, what's the chances that they care enough to de-ice their cars? Which, for the record, I spent 20 minutes doing to both of my vehicles this morning. My wife can't reach the roof of the Grand Caravan to de-ice it. I also go the speed limit in school zones. You know, so I can avoid killing a small child because I wanted to get to work 30 seconds earlier.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I have a few rules I go by when driving in snow, or winter in general.

-Keep your headlights on. Be visible to other drivers.

-Wear sunglasses. Keeps me from squinting and losing peripheral vision from the abundant whiteness of snow.

-You see you're going 30mph. Drive like the car is handling at 60mph. Mentally doubling your actual speed solves a LOT of performance problems in snow. Keeping your following distances longer and braking sooner happens more naturally when you do this method.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Simple fix, Move south! It's like 60 degrees here...

·
Registered
407 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts