Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, good afternoon!

I'm writing because, as part of the list of things i want to enhance on my dart, the overhead is one of them.
as previous forum users also told, there's an overhead option for the Dart with the sunglasses holder and the homelink.
i've tried looking around internet, googled, looked on ebay, but with no luck yet, as pictures and references are referring to models with the sunroof control.

i would appreciate a lot if someone can share this P/N.

Thanks a lot!!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
5MW38JXPAB was the part number but it's now discontinued, You might be able to find one at a self serve junkyard from a wrecked Dart. The connector will be different but if you look up old posts, there is a way to wire it in to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5MW38JXPAB was the part number but it's now discontinued, You might be able to find one at a self serve junkyard from a wrecked Dart. The connector will be different but if you look up old posts, there is a way to wire it in to work.
Thanks a lot! i'll keep trying around!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alpine, i was able to get one, i wired it and everything looks like it's working, do you know if the homelink module needs connection to an antenna, aside from positive and negative? i found that there's a 3rd cable (a white one) on the homelink wire. I saw on other posts that everyone used only the first two.
my question comes because i tried yesterday to program it with my door garage but with no success.

maybe i missed something?

aside from that, it's a great update, now i have a sunglass holder!

Regards!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
The white wire is for it to light up with the panel lights.

08 - Electrical / 8M - Message Systems / Universal Transmitter / Description

DESCRIPTION

Vehicles equipped with the optional universal transmitter (also known as the HomeLink® transmitter or Universal Garage Door Opener/UGDO) have a universal transmitter switch pod (2) integral to the overhead console (1) located in the headliner just behind the windshield opening header. The switch buttons are centered between the two map/reading lamps (4), forward of the sunglasses storage bin (5) and, if equipped, the power sunroof switch (3). This switch has three momentary push buttons clearly marked by the Roman numerals I, II and III for identification of each of the three transmitter channels. A single transmission indicator illuminated by a red Light Emitting Diode (LED) unit is also integral to the switch pod in the overhead console. The switch push buttons have instrument panel dimmer controlled LED units that provide back lighting for visibility at night.

Each of the three universal transmitter push buttons controls an independent radio transmitter channel. Each of these three channels can be trained to transmit a different Radio Frequency (RF) signal for the remote operation of garage door openers, motorized gate openers, home or office lighting, security systems or most any other device equipped with a RF receiver operating in the 280 to 418 MegaHertz (MHz) frequency range. The transmitter is capable of operating systems using either rolling code or non-rolling code security technology.

The universal transmitter switch pod cannot be repaired and is only serviced as a unit with the overhead console. If the transmitter or any of the switches are ineffective or damaged, the entire overhead console unit must be replaced.

08 - Electrical / 8M - Message Systems / Universal Transmitter / Standard Procedure

ERASING UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES

NOTE:
Individual channels cannot be erased. Erasing any universal transmitter (also known as HomeLink® transmitter or Universal Garage Door Opener/UGDO) code will erase ALL programmed codes.

The programming from all three channel push buttons can be erased using the following procedure. Individual channel push buttons cannot be erased, but can be reprogrammed.

1.Depress and hold the two outer universal transmitter push buttons until the red transmission indicator begins to flash slowly (about 20 seconds). Do not hold the buttons depressed for longer than 30 seconds.

2.Release both buttons.

3.The universal transmitter is now in the Emulate Mode (also known as the train or learning mode) and can be programmed at any time using the Programming standard procedure. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8M - Message Systems/Universal Transmitter - Standard Procedure) .

08 - Electrical / 8M - Message Systems / Universal Transmitter / Standard Procedure

PROGRAMMING UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES

WARNING:
Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a dangerous gas. Do not run the engine while training the universal transmitter. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

WARNING:
A motorized door or gate may open and close while you are training the universal transmitter if the vehicle is within range of the device. Do not train the universal transmitter if people or pets are in the path of the door or gate. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE:
When programming a garage door opener, it is advised to park outside the garage. It is also recommended that a new battery be placed in the hand-held transmitter of the device being programmed to the universal transmitter for quicker training and accurate transmission of the Radio Frequency (RF) signal.

NOTE:
If programing the universal transmitter is unsuccessful using the following procedure, refer to the Owner's Manual for the current customer assistance phone number.

PROGRAMMING COMMON UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES

1.Press and hold the two outer universal transmitter (also known as HomeLink® transmitter or Universal Garage Door Opener/UGDO) buttons, and release only when the red transmission indicator begins to flash slowly (after 20 seconds). Do not hold the buttons for longer than 30 seconds and do not repeat Step 1 to program a second and/or third hand-held transmitter to the remaining two universal transmitter buttons.

2.Position the end of your hand-held transmitter 3 to 8 centimeters (1 to 3 inches) away from the universal transmitter buttons while keeping the red transmission indicator within view.

NOTE:
Some gate operators and garage door openers may require that you replace Steps 3 and 4 with the Step noted in the CANADIAN PROGRAMMING OR GATE PROGRAMMING procedure, which follows this procedure.

3.Simultaneously depress and hold both the universal transmitter button that you want to program and the hand-held transmitter button. Do not release these buttons until Step 4 has been completed.

4.The universal transmitter red transmission indicator will transition from flashing slowly to flashing rapidly after the transmitter successfully acquires the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons after the transmission indicator begins flashing rapidly.

5.Press and hold the universal transmitter button just programmed and observe the red transmission indicator. If the transmission indicator stays on solid (not flashing), programming is complete. The newly programmed device should activate when this universal transmitter button is pressed and released.

NOTE:
If the red transmission indicator flashes rapidly for two seconds and then changes to solid, proceed to Steps 6 through 8 to complete programming of a rolling code equipped device. Rolling code is most commonly found on garage door openers.

NOTE:
To program the remaining two universal transmitter buttons, begin with Step 2. Do not repeat Step 1.

6.At the garage door opener receiver on the motor or head unit in the garage, locate the Learn or Smart button. This can usually be found near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor or head unit. The name and color of the button varies by manufacturer.

7.Firmly press and release the Learn or Smart button.

NOTE:
You have about 30 seconds after completing Step 7 in which to initiate Step 8.

8.Return to the vehicle and firmly depress, hold for two seconds then release the programmed universal transmitter button. Repeat the depress, hold, then release sequence a second time. Depending upon the brand of the garage door opener (or other rolling code equipped device), it may be necessary to repeat this sequence a third time to complete the programming. The newly programmed rolling code equipped device should now activate when this universal transmitter button is pressed and released.

NOTE:
To program the remaining two universal transmitter buttons, begin with Step 2. Do not repeat Step 1.

CANADIAN PROGRAMMING OR GATE PROGRAMMING

Canadian Radio Frequency (RF) laws require transmitter signals to time-out (or cease) after several seconds of transmission, which may not be long enough for the universal transmitter to acquire the signal during programming. Similar to this Canadian law, some U.S. gate operators are designed to time-out in the same manner. If you are located in Canada or if you are having difficulties programming a gate operator (regardless of where you live) using the PROGRAMMING COMMON UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES procedure, replace Steps 3 and 4 of that procedure with the following:

NOTE:
When programming a garage door opener or gate operator, it is advised to unplug the device or move the vehicle out of range during the Cycle process described in the following Step to prevent possible overheating and damage to that device.

•3 & 4 - Continue to depress and hold the universal transmitter button while every two seconds you press and release (Cycle) your hand-held transmitter until the frequency signal has been successfully acquired. The universal transmitter red transmission indicator will transition from flashing slowly to flashing rapidly after the transmitter successfully acquires the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons after the transmission indicator begins flashing rapidly.

REPROGRAMMING UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES

WARNING:
Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a dangerous gas. Do not run the engine while training the universal transmitter. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

WARNING:
A motorized door or gate may open and close while you are training the universal transmitter if the vehicle is within range of the device. Do not train the universal transmitter if people or pets are in the path of the door or gate. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE:
When programming a garage door opener, it is advised to park outside the garage. It is also recommended that a new battery be placed in the hand-held transmitter of the device being programmed to the universal transmitter for quicker training and accurate transmission of the Radio Frequency (RF) signal.

NOTE:
If programing the universal transmitter is unsuccessful using the following procedure, refer to the Owner's Manual for the current customer assistance phone number.

REPROGRAMMING COMMON UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES

Program a device to the universal transmitter (also known as the HomeLink® transmitter or the Universal Garage Door Opener/UGDO) using a button previously trained, as follows:

1.Press and hold the universal transmitter button that you want to reprogram. Do not release the button. The red transmission indicator will begin to flash slowly after 20 seconds. Without releasing the transmitter button, proceed to Step 2.

2.Position the end of your hand-held transmitter 3 to 8 centimeters (1 to 3 inches) away from the universal transmitter buttons while keeping the red transmission indicator within view.

NOTE:
Some gate operators and garage door openers may require that you replace Steps 3 and 4 with the Step noted in the CANADIAN REPROGRAMMING OR GATE REPROGRAMMING procedure, which follows this procedure.

3.Simultaneously depress and hold both the universal transmitter button that you want to reprogram and the hand-held transmitter button. Do not release these buttons until Step 4 has been completed.

4.The universal transmitter red transmission indicator will transition from flashing slowly to flashing rapidly after the transmitter successfully acquires the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons after the transmission indicator begins flashing rapidly.

5.Press and hold the universal transmitter button just programmed and observe the red transmission indicator. If the transmission indicator stays on solid (not flashing), reprogramming is complete. The newly programmed device should activate when this universal transmitter button is pressed and released.

NOTE:
If the red transmission indicator flashes rapidly for two seconds and then changes to solid, proceed to Steps 6 through 8 to complete programming of a rolling code equipped device. Rolling code is most commonly found on garage door openers.

6.At the garage door opener receiver on the motor or head unit in the garage, locate the Learn or Smart button. This can usually be found near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor or head unit. The name and color of the button varies by manufacturer.

7.Firmly press and release the Learn or Smart button.

NOTE:
You have about 30 seconds after completing Step 7 in which to initiate Step 8.

8.Return to the vehicle and firmly depress, hold for two seconds then release the reprogrammed universal transmitter button. Repeat the depress, hold, then release sequence a second time. Depending upon the brand of the garage door opener (or other rolling code equipped device), it may be necessary to repeat this sequence a third time to complete the programming. The newly programmed rolling code equipped device should now activate when this universal transmitter button is pressed and released.

CANADIAN REPROGRAMMING OR GATE REPROGRAMMING

Canadian Radio Frequency (RF) laws require transmitter signals to time-out (or cease) after several seconds of transmission, which may not be long enough for the universal transmitter to acquire the signal during programming. Similar to this Canadian law, some U.S. gate operators are designed to time-out in the same manner. If you are located in Canada or if you are having difficulties programming a gate operator (regardless of where you live) using the REPROGRAMMING COMMON UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER CODES procedure, replace Steps 3 and 4 of that procedure with the following:

NOTE:
When programming a garage door opener or gate operator, it is advised to unplug the device or move the vehicle out of range during the Cycle process described in the following Step to prevent possible overheating and damage to that device.

•3 & 4 - Continue to depress and hold the universal transmitter button while every two seconds you press and release (Cycle) your hand-held transmitter until the frequency signal has been successfully acquired. The universal transmitter red transmission indicator will transition from flashing slowly to flashing rapidly after the transmitter successfully acquires the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons after the transmission indicator begins flashing rapidly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect! The schematics helped me review if everthing i done was correct and safe. I tried the programming procedure again and it didn't work, as a last test, I tried holding the button after i push the learn button on the garage door and Voila! the garage door light blinked, telling me that he read the homelink. This might help anyone else in the future who needs to program it and it's facing the same situation. forget the pushing twice or 3 times, hold the button you are programming until your garage door tells you that it paired it.

Thanks a lot for the schematics @alpinegreenneon. My baby is getting better and better!! it reached the 100K milestone and it still feels like new.

Have a great weekend!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts