Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having issues with my 2014 Dodge Dart Aero. It has a 1.4L turbo engine and C635 DDCT. I am getting the following codes and warnings when driving my dart: P1CC1, P1C9D, autostick not available, service transmission. This only happens when the vehicle is significantly hot (between 85-95 degrees C from what I can see). The vehicle is still driveable when these warnings/codes come up but tends to shift oddly. When the vehicle is parked out in the heat and shut off it will not start again until after sunset. When the vehicle is parked in a garage or shade it will restart after approximately 10-15 minutes. Moreover if the vehicle is driven slowly for an extended period at slow speeds or down hill the fault goes away and it drives normally as the temperature decreases. This leads me to believe that heat is causing a failure in either a wire bundle, sensor, or degrading the transmission fluid as it has been contaminated.

This issue first started away from my home town. A dodge mechanic (family friend, not through a shop) replaced the Transmission Range Sensor part number 68141741AA and topped off the reservoir with ATF 4+. The car was driven approximately 500km with no additional faults. The car showed the same issues again while in my home town so I started trouble shooting the problem. Found out that ATF4+ was the wrong fluid to put in. Moreover I found a significant amount of fluid on top of the transmission and in the bay. I drained and removed the reservoir and refilled with 68092638AA (appears to be 75W engine oil). I also replaced the o-rings on the line (68320095AA) going under the reservoir. Car operated properly for about 2 days and found same issue. Reservoir appeared low so I topped it up again. There was no indication of a continuing fluid leak. Car operated well in the morning and same issue by the afternoon. I removed the wiring harness 68240543AA and inspected for faults as well as looking at the sensors it connects to for faults. Only defect noted was a hard bend in wire 1 very near the connector. I rang out the wire harness and did not find anything I thought was unusual as all the small connector sockets had continuity with one of the pins on the large connector. Each pin on the large connector had continuity with one of the sockets on a small connector with the exception of pin 1 and pin 8 which had continuity with 3. I did find a break in continuity twice but was never able to replicate it so i'm concerned it had more to do with how I was holding the probes on the connector than an actual issue with the wire harness. I also tried baking the wire harness at 200 degrees Fahrenheit to see if I could fail it when hot but I couldn't. I checked 4 ground points on the frame that the battery tray attached to. They were a bit dirty so I cleaned them and rang them out finding all 4 serviceable (less than 1 ohm).

I have looked up these codes (P1CC1 and P1C9D) and there are a few suggestions for repair including: 2-4 position sensor replacement, wire harness replacement, hydraulic shift actuator replacement, transmission control module replacement, and transmission fluid reservoir leak repair.

My next steps seem to be the following:

Drain, flush, and re-service DDCT
Replace wire harness 68240543AA
Replace hydraulic shift actuator 68445377AA

My main question to the forum is has anyone had this issue or similar issue and managed to resolve it? Most of what I read tends to stop short of having a fix repair the problem.

My secondary question is if any automotive mechanics can chime in on my troubleshooting process or suggest a next step. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and have very little experience/knowledge on transmissions.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Nice to see you are not intimidated by the DDCT!
Here is a schematic and the diagnostic info from the FSM for those two codes.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), C635 DDCT / Diagnosis and Testing

P1CC1-00-UNEXPECTED NEUTRAL DISENGAGEMENT

Theory of Operation

This diagnostic checks for the number of unexpected Neutral disengagements occurring during a trip without receiving a control signal to disengage from the Transmission Controller Module (TCM). The Neutral gear is engaged when the four gear actuators are in the middle stable neutral position. If one or more of the gear actuators is not exactly in the middle neutral stable position the Neutral gear is disengaged. The total number of gear engagement control actions and the number of unexpected Neutral disengagements during a trip are accumulated in the internal memory of the TCM. The two separate registers in the internal memory which contain these counters are cleared after every trip. When the accumulated number of the unexpected Neutral disengagements during a trip is greater than a threshold, this diagnostic will be considered failing.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•The total number of gear engagement control actions performed during a trip is greater than a calibrated value.

Set Conditions:

•The accumulated number of the unexpected Neutral disengagements during a trip is greater than a calibrated value.

Possible Causes

TRANSMISSION HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
TRANSMISSION MECHANICAL OPERATION
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)

Always perform the PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) /Standard Procedure).

CHECK THE TRANSMISSION OPERATION

View Repair.

Repair

•Check transmission hydraulic operation, transmission mechanical operation, and valve body in accordance with the Service information. Repair as necessary.
•If no hydraulic or mechanical problems are found, and using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for possible causes that may apply. If no problems are found, replace and program the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in accordance with the Service Information.
•Perform the C635 DDCT VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), C635 DDCT / Diagnosis and Testing

P1C9D-00-GEAR SHIFT POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT

Theory of Operation

This diagnostic compares the output signal of the sensor to threshold values of normal operations. When the signal is out of range the diagnostic will be considered failing. The sensor is mounted next to the 2nd - 4th gear engagement actuator to detect a linear movement of the piston. For this purpose a permanent magnet is mounted on the piston which is moved over a complete travel stroke. The magnet position generates a saturation area in the internal ferromagnetic core of the sensor which is transformed to an output position signal. The sensor provides an output signal with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) at a fixed frequency and duty cycle proportional to the piston position of the actuator. The PWM duty cycle ranges between 10% and 90%.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•Ignition is on or the Transmission Control Module (TCM) control unit is in power-on state.
•The engine is not in cranking mode.
•Power supply is between 7 - 24 volts.
•Main Micro Processor (MMP) supply diagnostics have not failed.
•The Sensor Power Supply 2 (VS2) to the Gear Shift Position Sensor “B” has no electrical failure.

Set Conditions:

•Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) Duty Cycle Fixed Value:

◦The duty cycle value is continuously fixed between 4% and 6% (i.e. the magnet reference is lost).

•PWM Duty Cycle Check Range:

◦The duty cycle value is more than 90% or less than 10%, but not between 4% and 6% (PWM Duty Cycle Fixed Value).

Possible Causes

5 VOLT SUPPLY B CIRCUIT OPEN
2-4 POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
2-4 POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
2-4 POSITION SENSOR
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)

Always perform the PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) /Standard Procedure).

1.CHECK TO SEE IF DTC P1C9D IS CURRENT

1. Using the scan tool, read TCM DTCs.

2. Record the Environmental Data and any DTCs.

3. Clear DTCs.

4. Using the recorded Environmental Data, along with the When Monitored and Set Conditions above, operate the vehicle in the conditions that set the DTC.

5. Read TCM DTCs.

Did the DTC reset?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Go To 5

2.CHECK FOR OTHER SENSOR DTCS

1. Using the scan tool, read TCM DTCs.

Are there other sensor or sensor power supply DTCs set?

Yes

•Check the (F894) 5 Volt Supply B circuit for an open or short to ground. If no problem is found, and using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM in accordance with the Service Information.
•Perform the C635 DDCT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.CHECK THE (T47) 2-4 POSITION SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.

2. Disconnect the TCM C2 harness connector.

3. Disconnect the 2-4 Position Sensor harness connector.

4. Check the (T47) 2-4 Position Signal circuit for an open or short to ground.

Was an open or short to ground found?

Yes

•Repair the (T47) 2-4 Position Signal circuit for an open or short to ground.
•Perform the C635 DDCT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4. CHECK THE (T191 AND T192) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUITS FOR AN OPEN

1. Measure the resistance of the (T191 AND T192) Sensor Ground Circuits between the 2-4 Position Sensor and the TCM C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 Ohms?

Yes

•Replace the 2-4 Position Sensor.

No

•Repair the (T191 or T192) Sensor Ground circuit for an open.
•Perform the C635 DDCT VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

5.CHECK THE WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.

2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.

3. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.

4. With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.

No

•Test Complete.

EDIT:
The hydraulic fluid C SERIES DDCT SAE 75W HYDRAULIC FLUID:
Part No. 68092638AA

Do not confuse with the C SERIES MANUAL & DUAL DRY CLUTCH
TRANSMISSION FLUID:
Quart
Part No. 68092630AA

Gallon
Part No. 68092636AA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Is it safe to connect the battery with the TCM removed to check for voltages? This system seems to be analog so i can't think it will hurt anything. May not come to that however as i confused the smart drive unit for the tcm. When i located the TCM one of the connectors was only partially installed. I will be test driving it shortly to see if that was the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plot thickens. Removed the TCM to check both pins and sockets for obvious defects and found no issues. Also checked the two grounds for continuity as its easy enough to do and found resistance less than 1 ohm. Went to test drive as one connector was loose and car wouldn't start even though it has been parked in the garage. Found the two codes stated above and a new code U11CE. Oddly enough this code seems to do with ABS and a lateral motion sensor but comes on with a signal sent to the TCM. I have a feeling this is a wire harness issue but unfortunately not the one stated above but instead one of the larger bundles. I'm running out of time today but will ring out the two connectors going to the TCM once i'm able and let the forum know the result. Hopefully I can track this down to a wire harness and replace it and get things going again.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts

U11CE-00-LOST VEHICLE LATERAL ACCELERATION MESSAGE

Theory of Operation

This diagnostic checks the availability of the vehicle lateral acceleration signal which is sent by the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) via a CAN message. The diagnostic checks the availability by checking the received value is not equal to the Signal Not Available (SNA) default value.

•When Monitored:
Ignition key is ON and the engine is not in cranking mode.

Power supply must be between 7 volts and 24 volts.

The Bus OFF failure is not present, the CAN communication between the TCM and ESP is not lost, there are no dual port RAM faults and the CAN message was read at least once.

•Set Condition:
When the signal is not available, the ESP sends a SNA default value to the TCM. If the TCM reads this value then DTC U11CE is set.

Possible Causes

ORC - INTERNAL ERROR
ESP - INTERNAL ERROR
ABS - INTERNAL ERROR

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.CHECK FOR BCM CAN BUS DTCS

1. With the scan tool, read BCM DTCs.

Are any BCM CAN BUS DTCs present?

Yes

•(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Body Control (BCM) /Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure. Perform the diagnostic procedure for DTC U0001-CAN C BUS first if it is present.
•Perform C635 DDCT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 2

2.CHECK IF ABS DTCS ARE PRESENT

1. With the scan tool, read ABS DTCs.

Are any ABS DTCs present?

Yes

•Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.
•Perform C635 DDCT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals for corrosion, damage or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM in accordance to the Service Information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How’s it goin. My 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4l turbo has the same code P1C9D. I barely made it to my local dodge to have it looked at. They said it’s the gear position sensor 2-4 that’s failing. Also said that they can’t just order the sensor that they have to order the hydraulic transmission actuator as it is all one part. They are quoting me at $3,872 dollars for parts and labor. Are they lying? Can the sensor just be ordered by itself? And is the sensor located inside the transmission or outside of it? Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Unfortunately your dealer is not completely wrong. The troubleshooting they would have done would lead them to this sensor and it cannot be ordered separately as you can see from the parts list above.

I am not entirely convinced it’s the sensor. I think it may be either one of the pressure sensors or solenoids attached. This is a fairly complex problem and will take me some time to finish troubleshooting and repair (I have a full time job and two young kids so spare time is at a premium).

@macbeans do you have any other information on your failure? Is the problem intermittent (goes away and comes back)? Does heat have anything to do with it (works when cold doesn’t when hot)? Are you always able to start your vehicle? Any additional information you can provide on symptoms or attempted fixes will help reduce the time it takes me to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

Unfortunately your dealer is not completely wrong. The troubleshooting they would have done would lead them to this sensor and it cannot be ordered separately as you can see from the parts list above.

I am not entirely convinced it’s the sensor. I think it may be either one of the pressure sensors or solenoids attached. This is a fairly complex problem and will take me some time to finish troubleshooting and repair (I have a full time job and two young kids so spare time is at a premium).

@macbeans do you have any other information on your failure? Is the problem intermittent (goes away and comes back)? Does heat have anything to do with it (works when cold doesn’t when hot)? Are you always able to start your vehicle? Any additional information you can provide on symptoms or attempted fixes will help reduce the time it takes me to troubleshoot.
The check transmission first came on when I was camping about 3 hrs from home. On the way back home I had to pull over off the freeway and limp into the gas station. I started the car back up at the gas station and drove home 3 hrs without a problem. Sat in the garage for two days and me and a buddy looked at the wiring and checked fuses and all that. A 20 amp fuse had blown so I thought it could of been that so I replaced it and when I turned the car on the check engine immediately went off. I drove it to work the next morning and about 10 miles in the check transmission popped back on and it would not engage in drive. I pulled off the freeway and tried to get it to go but it would just rev up and not move. I put it in park and turned the car off. I tried to turn the car back on but it thought the car was still In drive so it wouldn’t start. I got out of the car and shut the door, then opened the door and got back into the car (all within 15 seconds) and this time was able to start the car. It ran rough all the way to the dodge dealership which was a mile away. I’m going back to pick it up tomorrow, I told the mechanic that I am not going to pay 4k after Taxes for a car that is worth maybe 5 thousand.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
When a problem is intermittent, it's almost always wiring or with these symptoms, maybe a solenoid on the valve body. Looks like the $1800 part includes everything that could go wrong. From what I see in the FSM, it can be replaced by yourself with basic tools without dropping the trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When a problem is intermittent, it's almost always wiring or with these symptoms, maybe a solenoid on the valve body. Looks like the $1800 part includes everything that could go wrong. From what I see in the FSM, it can be replaced by yourself with basic tools without dropping the trans.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s what I was thinking alpinegreenneon. My plan this weekend is to remove the solenoids and test them on the bench and see if any are sticky or less powerful. The difficult part is going to be finding new solenoids as there is no part number for them. Hopefully I can either order directly from the manufacturer of the solenoids or find a generic replacement. I’ll update the forum when this has been done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late reply but I ended up having a house insurance problem that required my attention. I ended up pulling a significant amount of wire harness, the DDCT hydraulic power assembly and the DDCT valve body also known as hydraulic shift actuator. I disassembled the valve body and found transmission range sensor was very dirty between it and the valve body housing. I also found that the shift actuator fluid was still contaminated with ATF 4+ as well as being fairly dirty. Moreover with the valve body removed I could see in the transmission and the fluid in there was very dirty (almost completely black). I cleaned the transmission range sensor and replaced both the transmission fluid and the shift actuator fluid. I test drove the vehicle and it ran well. I followed the same route that failed the vehicle twice before and noted the radiator temperature made it to roughly the same as when the vehicle had failed. The major difference other than the repairs I had done was that it was evening and fairly cool at 22 C instead of mid afternoon and fairly hot at 34 C. I am not completely convinced that my repair has been successful as temperature did seem to be a factor. Unfortunately it will not be hot again in my area until the weekend. I will continue to test the vehicle and update the forum after one week and one month to let you know the results.

If you are having similar issues and do not want to wait to hear my results I would recommend removing the transmission range sensor and checking for security as well as dirt. I would also recommend changing the hydraulic shift actuator fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but I ended up having a house insurance problem that required my attention. I ended up pulling a significant amount of wire harness, the DDCT hydraulic power assembly and the DDCT valve body also known as hydraulic shift actuator. I disassembled the valve body and found transmission range sensor was very dirty between it and the valve body housing. I also found that the shift actuator fluid was still contaminated with ATF 4+ as well as being fairly dirty. Moreover with the valve body removed I could see in the transmission and the fluid in there was very dirty (almost completely black). I cleaned the transmission range sensor and replaced both the transmission fluid and the shift actuator fluid. I test drove the vehicle and it ran well. I followed the same route that failed the vehicle twice before and noted the radiator temperature made it to roughly the same as when the vehicle had failed. The major difference other than the repairs I had done was that it was evening and fairly cool at 22 C instead of mid afternoon and fairly hot at 34 C. I am not completely convinced that my repair has been successful as temperature did seem to be a factor. Unfortunately it will not be hot again in my area until the weekend. I will continue to test the vehicle and update the forum after one week and one month to let you know the results.

If you are having similar issues and do not want to wait to hear my results I would recommend removing the transmission range sensor and checking for security as well as dirt. I would also recommend changing the hydraulic shift actuator fluid.
Thank you for the update!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s what I was thinking alpinegreenneon. My plan this weekend is to remove the solenoids and test them on the bench and see if any are sticky or less powerful. The difficult part is going to be finding new solenoids as there is no part number for them. Hopefully I can either order directly from the manufacturer of the solenoids or find a generic replacement. I’ll update the forum when this has been done.
That assembly is not very complicated to replace. Roughly took me at most 2 hours. Being extra careful and neat. This was on a fiat 500 lounge which is the same setup as the dart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad news as the fault has come back. I've also had a new fault code come up, P0911. This code mentions the fault is likely in the valve body or the tcm. DandMAutosales did you have this issue on your fiat 500? Did replacing the valve body fix the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This will be my final reply to this thread. Troubleshooting has found the most likely culprit to my Dart issue is the transmission shift actuator. I managed to find one for $4000 CAD but I couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on this vehicle. I ended up taking advantage of a government program to scrap my car for $6000 CAD towards an electric vehicle. It is extremely unfortunate/frustrating that Chrysler would attach its name to such a poorly constructed vehicle, as I had nothing but issues with it from the day I bought it. Hopefully my new vehicle treats me better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts