Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Dodge Dart SE 2.0 automatic transmission.

Okay, a few months back I had an oil pressure sensor fail and when I tried to take it off I nearly broke the plastic connector (I have a habit of not being gentle and breaking things) So I decided to take it to a local dealership, it's a Chevrolet dealership (the only dealership in our area) that says they work on all models. While it was in there I said may as well change the transmission fluid.. Well ever since then sometimes it clunks shifting when it's cold or if I run fast (over 80) and go back down to slow speeds. Today this morning shortly after taking off it through P0711. I'm thinking maybe they didn't get the proper fill? Where would you all start?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
2013 Dodge Dart SE 2.0 automatic transmission.

Okay, a few months back I had an oil pressure sensor fail and when I tried to take it off I nearly broke the plastic connector (I have a habit of not being gentle and breaking things) So I decided to take it to a local dealership, it's a Chevrolet dealership (the only dealership in our area) that says they work on all models. While it was in there I said may as well change the transmission fluid.. Well ever since then sometimes it clunks shifting when it's cold or if I run fast (over 80) and go back down to slow speeds. Today this morning shortly after taking off it through P0711. I'm thinking maybe they didn't get the proper fill? Where would you all start?
As a general rule of thumb, trans fluid should NEVER be changed. The Dart transmission requires a special dipstick tool to check the level (I doubt Chevy has one) and it has special guidelines based on fluid temperature (I doubt they have that). They could have also put the wrong fluid in. Modern cars are very unique, it's not the same as back in the day when you had a general mechanic to work on all cars.

I would call them up and ask what was their procedure, what type of fluid, etc and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
Drain whatever they put in and replace it. Get the tool on eBay. The correct fluid is:

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Transmission Control (TCM), 6F24 / Diagnosis and Testing

P0711-00-TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR A CIRCUIT RANGE-PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation

The purpose of this diagnostic is to check the rationality of the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor signal. The TFT sensor is an analog device for which the TCM performs A/D conversion every 80 msec. The TFT sensor circuit diagram is shown below. The malfunction conditions detected in range by this diagnostic include TFT sensor signal stuck too low, stuck low and stuck high.

•When Monitored:
Conditions for TFT sensor stuck too low:

System voltage greater than 9.0 Volts.

Engine rpm greater than 400 rpm.

Shift lever in Drive.

No transmission fluid temperature sensor DTCs set.

Transmission fluid temperature is less than –10° C (14° F)

Conditions for TFT sensor stuck low:

Shift lever in Drive.

Engine rpm greater than 1,500 rpm.

No other temperature sensor or sensor ground DTCs present.

Transmission fluid temperature is more than or equal to -10° C (14° F).

All the above conditions are present for more than 0.8 seconds.

No CAN DTCs present.

No Engine RPM errors present.

Conditions for TFT sensor stuck high:

Engine rpm greater than or equal to 400 rpm for more than 5 seconds.

Transmission fluid temperature at ignition off is greater than 60° C (140° F).

Engine coolant temperature at ignition off is greater than 74° C (164° F).

Engine coolant temperature decrease from previous ignition off to current ignition on is greater than 40° C (104° F).

•Set Condition:
Conditions for TFT sensor stuck too low:

Transmission fluid temperature is less than –10° C (14° F) for more than 300 seconds.

Conditions for TFT sensor stuck low:

Transmission fluid temperature is less than 20° C (68° F) for more than 800 seconds.

Conditions for TFT sensor stuck high:

The difference between transmission fluid temperature at ignition off and ignition on is less than 2° C (4° F).

Possible Causes

TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I'm in the process of changing it now, we'll practically done. Here is the problem though, you can't read that dip stick tool. The tool has a slight Gloss finish to it and you can't see the fluid level on it. If you take that tool and stick it in a new quart of transmission fluid you still can't see the fluid on it.. The only way I can somewhat guess at it is to stick it in the transmission, pull it out and the run my fingers down it until I fill the fluid.. The thermo is saying the pan is around 73C and it appears to be somewhere between 30-35mm on the dip stick, But I'm not 100% sure. I did take it out for a drive to test it and at first it was still clunking shifting into drive/reverse, after putting about 20 miles on it things smoothed out and it shifted just fine. Any further suggestions before I wrap this up and put everything back on?

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
Reading a transmission dipstick has always been a challenge. May try using a bit of fine sandpaper on the tool?
If you are confident you put in the correct amount, go ahead and finish up. Drive it and let us know in a week or two if replacing the fluid helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started clunking shifting into reverse/drive Wednesday again. So, I checked the fluid level today again and was able to see it on the dip stick tool better. I ended up adding almost 3/4 of a quart and it's about spot on far as fluid level goes. We will see if 3/4 of a quart makes a difference or not later this week, Fingers crossed that it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts