Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would hook up a odbII tool/or gauge and get a number reading of your oil. a scale with out numbers is pretty meaningless. Oil needs to be 220°F to burn off all the deposits and accumulated water vapor and conventional oil starts to break down at 275ish°F, synthetics are roughly 50° higher. Some race-only synthetics operate at 350+ degrees. Varnish is the result of oil breaking down because of heat.

A clogged injector can cause excessive heat. I would think you would see a temp rise in coolant too if it were an injector. But I know the 2.4l has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottom of the piston to cool the pistons and if you have an injector/s clogging it will cause your engine to run lean. Running lean means more heat. Also a lean mixture is known to trigger a misfire code P0300 (random misfire).
Its a bit of a vicious circle, heat causes varnish in the injectors. the varnish clogs the injectors. the clogged injectors cause a lean Air/fuel mixture. the lean mixture causes excessive combustion heat. not saying this is your problem, but it is one place to look if your having heat problems.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Agreed, and it should be hotter under load. Just wish dodge would have kept the temp reading on it before they got rid of it. I just like to monitor it. Without an actual reading I'm not too sure what is normal for the car which is why I was asking others their readings
Be glad you have any readout at all. Those of us with the analog dash have no oil temp readout at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I would hook up a odbII tool/or gauge and get a number reading of your oil. a scale with out numbers is pretty meaningless. Oil needs to be 220°F to burn off all the deposits and accumulated water vapor and conventional oil starts to break down at 275ish°F, synthetics are roughly 50° higher. Some race-only synthetics operate at 350+ degrees. Varnish is the result of oil breaking down because of heat.

A clogged injector can cause excessive heat. I would think you would see a temp rise in coolant too if it were an injector. But I know the 2.4l has oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottom of the piston to cool the pistons and if you have an injector/s clogging it will cause your engine to run lean. Running lean means more heat. Also a lean mixture is known to trigger a misfire code P0300 (random misfire).
Its a bit of a vicious circle, heat causes varnish in the injectors. the varnish clogs the injectors. the clogged injectors cause a lean Air/fuel mixture. the lean mixture causes excessive combustion heat. not saying this is your problem, but it is one place to look if your having heat problems.
I don't think it shows oil temp on OBDII. I don't think it's something that it reads. At least my Aeroforce gauge does not pick one up. It could also be why the dash does not show an actual temperature. They could measure the temp a different way instead of exact temp. Maybe a algorithm that can estimate the oil temp based on other engine factors (coolant temp, cat temp, etc).

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
I don't think it shows oil temp on OBDII. I don't think it's something that it reads. At least my Aeroforce gauge does not pick one up. It could also be why the dash does not show an actual temperature. They could measure the temp a different way instead of exact temp. Maybe a algorithm that can estimate the oil temp based on other engine factors (coolant temp, cat temp, etc).
Does the Dart have an oil temp sensor? If so, it's being read somewhere, and if not, well, I don't need to point out the challenges in reporting data that doesn't exist, do I? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Does the Dart have an oil temp sensor? If so, it's being read somewhere, and if not, well, I don't need to point out the challenges in reporting data that doesn't exist, do I? ;)
Yes! at least i know the 1.4T has an oil temp sensor! I got an error CEL for it a little while back! It actually sits right under the PCV on the back of the head.

If you have the TFT display on your dash, it will show you both coolant temps and oil temps!

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Yes! at least i know the 1.4T has an oil temp sensor! I got an error CEL for it a little while back! It actually sits right under the PCV on the back of the head.

If you have the TFT display on your dash, it will show you both coolant temps and oil temps!
What I am getting at is I have the TFT and it does NOT show oil temperature. Specifically It just shows a bar Hot or Cold.

So yes it's reading a temperature, but it's not picking up actual temp like it does for coolant. If it has s temp sensor why not show it? I will have to play with my aeroforce again, but i am pretty sure oil temp is not an option. It might be on the Torque app, but I am not sure.

I am not in the mechanical engineering field, but they could have a way based on how the engine was engineered and using a mathematical implementation of different engine values that it DOES read the temps for, it could theoretically find what range of temp the oil is at. Now is it easier just to use a sensor? Yes, and it probably does. Honestly I wouldn't trust a computer powered algorithm to estimate my oil temp either. Just coming from a computer science degree background, weird thoughts pop in your head. lol I just find it odd that you cannot access the actual value of it (unless you can and I just didn't know).

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
What I am getting at is I have the TFT and it does NOT show oil temperature. Specifically It just shows a bar Hot or Cold.
because it was only a 2013 feature w/ the TFT.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
To my knowledge this was NOT a feature at all on the 2013 TFT.

Actually i am thinking about oil life. My bad. I will have to verify this. I know the 13s do not have an oil life meter.
41543d1410839473-base-premium-digital-tft-instrument-cluster-upgrade-image.jpg

you are right, the coolant is only specific to the degree. Oil is red or blue and correlation to oil life.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts

So yes it's reading a temperature, but it's not picking up actual temp like it does for coolant. If it has s temp sensor why not show it? I will have to play with my aeroforce again, but i am pretty sure oil temp is not an option. It might be on the Torque app, but I am not sure.

I am not in the mechanical engineering field, but they could have a way based on how the engine was engineered and using a mathematical implementation of different engine values that it DOES read the temps for, it could theoretically find what range of temp the oil is at. Now is it easier just to use a sensor? Yes, and it probably does. Honestly I wouldn't trust a computer powered algorithm to estimate my oil temp either. Just coming from a computer science degree background, weird thoughts pop in your head. lol I just find it odd that you cannot access the actual value of it (unless you can and I just didn't know).
Thats my mistake for sticking my nose in! i didnt realize you were looking for specific temp!

Reactions: Cntrollerfanboy

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts

It's a bad idea to use a mathematical model to display what the oil temperature should be, because a lot of assumptions would need to be made. The whole point is to know what the actual temperature is at any given time, to identify when something has gone horribly wrong. I'm pretty sure the Dart will at least throw a CEL if you boil the oil, so to speak, so it would have to use an oil temperature sensor for this. The Aeroforce gauge and Torque app depend on manufacturers doing things in fairly standard ways, and if Dodge decided to do something unique (or at least different) with the Dart to read oil temperature, it may not be possible for OBD2 tools to read it.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
It's a bad idea to use a mathematical model to display what the oil temperature should be, because a lot of assumptions would need to be made. The whole point is to know what the actual temperature is at any given time, to identify when something has gone horribly wrong. I'm pretty sure the Dart will at least throw a CEL if you boil the oil, so to speak, so it would have to use an oil temperature sensor for this. The Aeroforce gauge and Torque app depend on manufacturers doing things in fairly standard ways, and if Dodge decided to do something unique (or at least different) with the Dart to read oil temperature, it may not be possible for OBD2 tools to read it.
Totally agree. Still questions why Dodge themselves did not show the exact oil temp if that values is available. The 200 shows volts and trans temp exactly. Seeing as the 200 has the 8 speed auto and is highly computer controlled to operate properly (varying based on temp) showing trans temp is a must.

I guess it's one of those questions that no one will every know why FCA did it. A lot of those questions go un answered anyways. lol

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Totally agree. Still questions why Dodge themselves did not show the exact oil temp if that values is available. The 200 shows volts and trans temp exactly. Seeing as the 200 has the 8 speed auto and is highly computer controlled to operate properly (varying based on temp) showing trans temp is a must.

I guess it's one of those questions that no one will every know why FCA did it. A lot of those questions go un answered anyways. lol
The 200 has the 9-speed, actually. ;) The C635 DDCT is also entirely computer controlled (it has not one, but two computers dedicated entirely to its operation), and it doesn't provide a transmission temp readout, though it does have "transmission overheated" warnings, so the temperature is being monitored. The Powertech 6F24 is also computer controllers and has no readout. The only vehicles where transmission temp readout from the factory is really important is trucks, where towing can cause overheating.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
The 200 has the 9-speed, actually. ;) The C635 DDCT is also entirely computer controlled (it has not one, but two computers dedicated entirely to its operation), and it doesn't provide a transmission temp readout, though it does have "transmission overheated" warnings, so the temperature is being monitored. The Powertech 6F24 is also computer controllers and has no readout. The only vehicles where transmission temp readout from the factory is really important is trucks, where towing can cause overheating.
I knew that! I was too lazy to google it and verify lol I had one for a rental a couple times.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So yesterday I went on a long road trip. Remembering this thread, I did a little looking into my oil temp gauge. Here's a picture I snapped about 30 minuets into the drive, it also shows outside temp conditions.

I'm guessing this is what OP had as a question.

jsblanch said:
I'm pretty sure the Dart will at least throw a CEL if you boil the oil, so to speak, so it would have to use an oil temperature sensor for this.
You're assuming way too much here. There's really no good reason why Dodge didn't include a physical number along with this gauge. The ECM knows this number, the display just refuses to show it. That could be due to the fact that oil temps do run much hotter than coolant temps, and the average customer is not used to seeing this number, and they would probably freak out when it reads 250 F.

My 2006 Charger does show the oil temp in one of it's system gauges, and it typically reads around 240ish. (that one has an actual number associated with it).

Also, oils have different flash points as to when they vaporize. This is really only determined by getting an engine oil analysis after performing an oil change as some other members here have done. Reason being, the flash point can change greatly based upon conditions such as fuel sneaking past the rings and mixing with the oil.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So yesterday I went on a long road trip. Remembering this thread, I did a little looking into my oil temp gauge. Here's a picture I snapped about 30 minuets into the drive, it also shows outside temp conditions. I'm guessing this is what OP had as a question. You're assuming way too much here. There's really no good reason why Dodge didn't include a physical number along with this gauge. The ECM knows this number, the display just refuses to show it. That could be due to the fact that oil temps do run much hotter than coolant temps, and the average customer is not used to seeing this number, and they would probably freak out when it reads 250 F. My 2006 Charger does show the oil temp in one of it's system gauges, and it typically reads around 240ish. (that one has an actual number associated with it). Also, oils have different flash points as to when they vaporize. This is really only determined by getting an engine oil analysis after performing an oil change as some other members here have done. Reason being, the flash point can change greatly based upon conditions such as fuel sneaking past the rings and mixing with the oil.
That is exactly what I had a question on. Just wanted to get a feel for what is normal for a dart!

·
Registered
249 Posts
After driving it for about 6 hours pretty much non stop, I'd have to say this is pretty normal for a reading. Mine stayed there pretty much the entire trip.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does the DART have an oil pressure display? Could Chrysler have mistaken the temp for pressure? Although there is no pressure number either???

·
Registered
558 Posts
Does the DART have an oil pressure display? Could Chrysler have mistaken the temp for pressure? Although there is no pressure number either???
oil pressure sensor=Multiair. As long as your car is running, it's good ;). No oil pressure sensor (dash read-out) on these things

21 - 40 of 41 Posts