Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Trying to get a feeling for oil temp gauge readings from everyone else. Driving today, I had my gauge read 3/4 full for engine oil temp. It held steady there and didn't change but normally it only jumps to about 1/2. Coolant temp was Normal about 200 cruising at 75. It is 85 degrees out here and maybe I just never paid attention to it before, but yeah what is your normal gauge reading for oil temperature?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I guess that makes sense. I am a little confused why Mopar didn't include a number read out with the oil temp when it does with the coolant temp. I find that very strange. Though as others have pointed out many times, this engine runs very hot. It also retains that heat very well. I'm not a big fan of that, but it's what Mopar wanted to do to boost economy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I knew it ran hot, and I have driven with the Ac on many times, I guess it's something I just never noticed. There are a lot of things that mopar does that we'll never understand, like why there wasn't an srt dart, or even why the GT was limited to such low power numbers...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I seem to get the same coolant and oil readings you guys do. However, what I tend to notice is how long the engine bay retains that heat, and just how much that plastic engine cover holds it in near the head and block. Let your car "cool off" for like 3 hours and come back, it will be as hot as if you just shut it off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So about 3 bars full for oil?
I meant 1/3 not 2/3...sry. its one and a half bar. My oil temp seems to be pretty consistent no matter what conditions are.

Beitie said:
notice is how long the engine bay retains that heat,
that was the first thing I noticed when I bought my dart. I would go inside for a few hours and go to leave again and the car is at 170deg as soon as I start it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant 1/3 not 2/3...sry. its one and a half bar. My oil temp seems to be pretty consistent no matter what conditions are. that was the first thing I noticed when I bought my dart. I would go inside for a few hours and go to leave again and the car is at 170deg as soon as I start it.
What oil are you running?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the same problem about a year ago, Oil temperature should ALWAYS be at 1/2, otherwise it is an indicator for a faulty radiator fan or a coolant leak, I had the dealer replace my radiator fan because my car would overheat when idling, fix it asap or it will lead to other problems

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the same problem about a year ago, Oil temperature should ALWAYS be at 1/2, otherwise it is an indicator for a faulty radiator fan or a coolant leak, I had the dealer replace my radiator fan because my car would overheat when idling, fix it asap or it will lead to other problems
Don't think it is my coolant fan of leak. Cars fan comes on when it is supposed to, and no signs of leak.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also are you thinking about the coolant temp maybe instead of oil temp?

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Figured it out, ran with Ac on and Ac off, engine oil temp goes up with Ac on
On long trips I have seen my oil in the 2/3 range as well. Coolant temps are always normal, but I have seen my oil reading a lot higher than I thought it should be. Never got any warnings, and oil level has been good every change so far. Mine is a 15 and I have about 33k on it now.

To debunk that claim, it's not entirely that. I never use my AC so it was never on with this. I believe my heat may have been on, so that might be similar, but the engine isn't working as hard to run the heat as it does for AC. I will keep an eye on it. Normal driving I only see it around half though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On long trips I have seen my oil in the 2/3 range as well. Coolant temps are always normal, but I have seen my oil reading a lot higher than I thought it should be. Never got any warnings, and oil level has been good every change so far. Mine is a 15 and I have about 33k on it now. To debunk that claim, it's not entirely that. I never use my AC so it was never on with this. I believe my heat may have been on, so that might be similar, but the engine isn't working as hard to run the heat as it does for AC. I will keep an eye on it. Normal driving I only see it around half though.
I take that statement back. Running home now back to Illinois, no AC, about 69 degrees out and cruising at 75 mph. Coolant is normal around 200 and oil temp has 3 out of 5 bars whites out.. Just seems odd that oil temp can be higher than coolant, assuming they are on the same scale die to fact there is no actual oil temp read out

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I take that statement back. Running home now back to Illinois, no AC, about 69 degrees out and cruising at 75 mph. Coolant is normal around 200 and oil temp has 3 out of 5 bars whites out.. Just seems odd that oil temp can be higher than coolant, assuming they are on the same scale die to fact there is no actual oil temp read out
It's not surprising that the oil is hotter than the coolant. The oil isn't flowing through a giant radiator, after all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not surprising that the oil is hotter than the coolant. The oil isn't flowing through a giant radiator, after all.
Agreed, and it should be hotter under load. Just wish dodge would have kept the temp reading on it before they got rid of it. I just like to monitor it. Without an actual reading I'm not too sure what is normal for the car which is why I was asking others their readings

1 - 20 of 41 Posts