Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Royal Purple in my car since I got it. I have 70000 on it now and money is getting tighter so I want peoples opinion. What is a good quality oil? Is Royal Purple worth the money or is there something that’s just as good for a lil less?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I only use the cheapest dino oil for my Neons and all 5 have gotten over 200k miles with almost no oil consumption or power loss. The Neons get oil changes every 3000 miles. It's the rust that's killing them and why they got sold. I still have 2 Neons. For my Darts, I use the cheapest 0-20W synthetic I can find a Walmart. New Purolator filters every oil change and I change the oil every 5000 miles no matter what the oil monitor says. All oil has to pass the API and SAE standards so why pay more for a brand?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been using Royal Purple in my car since I got it. I have 70000 on it now and money is getting tighter so I want peoples opinion. What is a good quality oil? Is Royal Purple worth the money or is there something that’s just as good for a lil less?
Basically what Alpine said is pretty spot on in fact the generic stuff has proven to be just as good as the name brand oils which are supposed to be better at least that's how it's advertised...

I've got no problem putting supertec in my cars and Royal purple is now sold at Walmart along with supertec so go figure they probably even come out of the same factory just one has dye while the other doesn't...

What's more important is getting it changed frequently along with the filter as I've known a few people to skip filters between changes due to laziness.

·
Registered
863 Posts
There's a hundred different threads about this. Do a search.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been purchasing Mag1 5W-40 Full Synthetic from RockAuto.com for my 1.4L - good product at an excellent price (<$5/qt) - hard to find a better deal on a respected product. Lots of favorable reviews/analyses of Mag1 oils on bobistheoilguy.com.

They have the Mag1 0w20 Dexos for $4.13/qt.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Just make sure (especially with the 5W40 for the 1.4T) that the oil you use is API SN or better and not SM. Some formulations are still API SM, and they don't stand the test of time. At 5000kms, API SM is basically black watery sludge in my car, whereas at 8000+kms API SN is just a dark golden color and still has the visible consistency of motor oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts