Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while my check engine light would come on and flash oil pressure sensor malfunction. The car still seem to be running fine and the oil was good and the car was not knocking, with the exception of it seem a little more sluggish. For a while i was able to unhook the battery and reset the code and i was good for a few weeks and then it got to the point where it was everytime i started the car. I replaced the sensor and was good for about two months until this weekend when it started again. Any ideas on if i got a wiring problem or just another bad switch? It seem like when the check engine light comes on for this it de-rates the power a little bit.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
So for a while my check engine light would come on and flash oil pressure sensor malfunction. The car still seem to be running fine and the oil was good and the car was not knocking, with the exception of it seem a little more sluggish. For a while i was able to unhook the battery and reset the code and i was good for a few weeks and then it got to the point where it was everytime i started the car. I replaced the sensor and was good for about two months until this weekend when it started again. Any ideas on if i got a wiring problem or just another bad switch? It seem like when the check engine light comes on for this it de-rates the power a little bit.
What do you mean when you say that the CEL comes on and flashes an oil pressure sensor malfuntion? If the CEL is flashing, that's signalling a misfire, not oil pressure issues, but perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. What is the code that you're getting?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry i meant the check engine light just comes on and stays on. But the code it throws is oil pressure sensor malfunction. And i bought the sensor at Orielly’s.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Which engine?? You might have replaced the wrong sensor. Locations are different for 2.0 and 2.4 and it's very easy to confuse the oil temp sensor with the oil pressure sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the 2.0. And im pretty sure i changed the right one. It was on the back of the motor on the passenger side. I changed it and it was fine for about two months and then started doing it again.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
The oil pressure sensor on the 2.0 is on the head not the block. If that is what you replaced, it's possible the aftermarket version is a problem. I have found that when I need to replace a sensor, it's always best to get the oem one. Aftermarket are all made in China.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea thats the one that i changed. I thought about taking it out and taking it back to Oriellys and then go to Dodge and get the OEM one. Other than it seem a little more sluggish than usual it seems to be running fine and it full if oil and not knocking.

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Most aftermarket sensors are made in China. Get the Mopar one like I previously suggested.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just so everyone knows....some oem sensors are made in China, but to a higher quality required by the the automobile manufacturer. A Mopar camshaft sensor i recently bought for my Jeep was made in China.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts