Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I had created a thread previously about oil on my spark plug but can’t seem to fix it. My second cylinder kept having a misfire, so I had changed my tube seals, my valve cover seals, my pcv valve, as well as all spark plugs and one ignition coil. After a couple weeks my second cylinder started to misfire again. When I pull out the spark plug there is oil on the threading of the plugging and a small amount where the plug seats to the tube seal. It’ll drive well for about 2 weeks until the oil just burns out my spark plug. After this work I had done I brought it to a friend who cleaned it all out and ran a compression test. My compression is good and holds. I was thinking it could be my piston ring that is gone or possibly my whole head might have a small crack somewhere.. anyone have any insight or speculations? Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone. It is a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L with 96,000kms.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Click on your screen name. It should show your recent posts. Google your screen name and dodge-dart.org should find it as well.
Check your wiring and connector to coil 2 and injector 2. If the connector locks are broken, that could make an intermittent miss.

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Hey everyone, I had created a thread previously about oil on my spark plug but can’t seem to fix it. My second cylinder kept having a misfire, so I had changed my tube seals, my valve cover seals, my pcv valve, as well as all spark plugs and one ignition coil. After a couple weeks my second cylinder started to misfire again. When I pull out the spark plug there is oil on the threading of the plugging and a small amount where the plug seats to the tube seal. It’ll drive well for about 2 weeks until the oil just burns out my spark plug. After this work I had done I brought it to a friend who cleaned it all out and ran a compression test. My compression is good and holds. I was thinking it could be my piston ring that is gone or possibly my whole head might have a small crack somewhere.. anyone have any insight or speculations? Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone. It is a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L with 96,000kms.
Oil in a spark plug tube almost always means the tube seal is leaking. The oil is outside the engine, so it's not going to be the things you describe. That said, it shouldn't "burn out" the spark plug, although enough oil might cause a short that creates a misfire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil in a spark plug tube almost always means the tube seal is leaking. The oil is outside the engine, so it's not going to be the things you describe. That said, it shouldn't "burn out" the spark plug, although enough oil might cause a short that creates a misfire.
I already changed my tube seals and had a mechanic change my second cylinder tube seal again. Definitely is not my tube seal. But the thing is the spark plug will burn whatever oil is getting in and then after a week or so it’ll misfire. I’ll take it out, clean it in gasoline and it’ll fire normal for another week until the cleaning will no longer suffice. Then I put in another new plug in and the same thing happens. I assume you’re right and it doesn’t burn out the spark plug but over time it is unable to burn off the oil that is somehow getting in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click on your screen name. It should show your recent posts. Google your screen name and dodge-dart.org should find it as well.
Check your wiring and connector to coil 2 and injector 2. If the connector locks are broken, that could make an intermittent miss.
My problem is how come it’ll run fine for two weeks and then start to happen? The connectors are broken but I still am able to push them down and seat them to engage them could they still not be engaged if the tips of them are broken? Thank you again, I’ll look into the wiring and fuel injectors and re read my previous post

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Intermittent problems are almost always wiring. Wire can be broken under the insulation or contact inside connectors can be loose. Connector locks were put there so engine vibration and movement wouldn't cause a momentary disconnect. Broken connectors can be replaced. You can find connectors on eBay or at a junkyard on wrecked Darts or other FCA vehicles. There is a Mopar connector site that lists part numbers. Connectors can be disassembled so you don't need to solder wires.

Electrical Connector "how to" - neons.org connectors and wiring

Reactions: Jefffh
1 - 6 of 6 Posts