Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil change/Tire rotation...FYI

I was told today, that since this car is so new, that only one place in town (Boise) was found that carried the oil filter needed for the Dart. Has anybody else had their oil changed yet? And I had no idea that the tires got rotated at the same time! Fabulous!

·
Registered
635 Posts
did your oil change indicator light up? what mileage?

from FSM:
At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil Change Indicator System:
Change oil and filter
Rotate the tires. Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on.
Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and park brake
Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or off-road conditions

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it did at around 3500 miles. I already had the service appointment scheduled for today so actual mileage when oil was changed was around 3627. The rattle I had that was going to be looked at hasn't been a problem...it's either gone away or I'm just not hearing it anymore...so theyre going to wait until my windshield comes in to check for that noise.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whaaat?? Oil changes due at 3000 miles ; my next one is due at 6627 according to my sticker.

·
Registered
635 Posts
hate to say it, but... RTFM

from owner's manual:

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

Note: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Whaaat?? Oil changes due at 3000 miles ; my next one is due at 6627 according to my sticker.
Engines are made differently than in the past and this car uses all synthetic oil. It is possible Theoretically to not change the car until nearly 10,000 miles as say above this post. If you have ANY car post 2000's and you change the lol at 3k, you are basically wasting your money...

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of my cars is a 2007 that uses conventional oil. I change it and the filter every 3,000 miles. My wife's 2003 GT Cruiser is a turbo and uses synthetic. I change it in hers every 5,000 miles. I'll probably keep the same maintenance schedule when she gets her 1.4L Dart, no matter what this oil change reminder light says.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
One of my cars is a 2007 that uses conventional oil. I change it and the filter every 3,000 miles. My wife's 2003 GT Cruiser is a turbo and uses synthetic. I change it in hers every 5,000 miles. I'll probably keep the same maintenance schedule when she gets her 1.4L Dart, no matter what this oil change reminder light says.
Well then you are welcome to do that, but you WILL be wasting your money on the Dart if you change it before the EVIC tells you to...but to each his own..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oil change/Tire rotation...FYI

I'm going to do the same. I'm not going over 5000 miles. I don't trust it

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
According to what I read in the manual, I did what it states to do, then. I live in a small town, frequent stops and I can assure you I don't have a heavy shoe. According t o the manual, my light came on exactly when it was supposed to, so I'm not really understanding what it is you're implying. If anything, I drive her like a gramma!
Wait....I AM a gramma!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had the oil change message come up at 3800 miles. In my opinion it is a waste of my time and money to do it more than what is recommended, 10,000 miles. So once I hit 10,000 miles I will take it in to be done. I did this for my wife's car and have had no problems. Also, yes, tire rotation is part of regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had the oil change message come up at 3800 miles. In my opinion it is a waste of my time and money to do it more than what is recommended, 10,000 miles. So once I hit 10,000 miles I will take it in to be done. I did this for my wife's car and have had no problems. Also, yes, tire rotation is part of regular maintenance.
Will this void the warranty? Seems to me that the message center would override the manual.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well then you are welcome to do that, but you WILL be wasting your money on the Dart if you change it before the EVIC tells you to...but to each his own..
Well, if I change it every 5,000 miles and some owners are having their oil change light comes on at 3,500 miles I might be saving a few dollars. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
According to what I read in the manual, I did what it states to do, then. I live in a small town, frequent stops and I can assure you I don't have a heavy shoe. According t o the manual, my light came on exactly when it was supposed to, so I'm not really understanding what it is you're implying. If anything, I drive her like a gramma!
Wait....I AM a gramma!
yeah, those short trips/frequent stops will definitely decrease the intervals. sorry, didn't mean to offend. especially not a gramma. :)
proper maintenance is never a waste of money. 10,000 miles is the limit, not the recommendation. the oil change indicator is your recommendation.

Will this void the warranty? Seems to me that the message center would override the manual.
message center definitely overrides the limit posted in the manual.

TheShiebs said:
No it doesn't void the warranty.
good luck getting oil related engine failure covered if they find neglect as the cause.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well with how religious I am about regulat interval maintenance. I doubt I will ever have an oil related issue. New engines can have the miles between oil changes be greater because of the materials used and also how engine oil is made these days. I.e with all the different cleaners and protectants used in it these days.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
The first time the notice came on in our van was pretty shortly after we picked it up, but the next one was longer, and then the one after that was even longer-13,000km (the limit for our 3.6) it included a trip to Florida even.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts