Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get a bit of guidance on my oil leak issue. Here is a timeline of the issues I have:
March 2019 - Went in for a oil change, was told the oil pan gasket was leaking. Was covered under the factory powertrain warranty. (Dealer replaced)
February 2020 - Went in for another oil change (had one in August 2019 at a different place), was told the pan gasket was leaking again. Was covered under the dealers warranty, so I went ahead and did it. They also replaced the pan as they said it had deformed.
While they had it up on the lift they discovered my radiator was leaking :( The plastic tank on the side was the culprit.
I had the radiator replaced at a different shop, but in between I noticed spots in my driveway. The mechanic at the radiator shop said yes, likely the pan gasket leaking again. He also said something about the upper oil pan (can't remember exactly) maybe was leaking. He said that was a major job....
Cue the pandemic and shutdown...the leak wasn't that bad so I just kept a eye on it. When things started to re-open, I took it back to the dealer. This time, they replaced the timing (engine) cover. Covered under extended warranty so the cost was minimal.
Now...it's leaking oil again. What are we dealing with? Failed gasket(s) again? The guy at the radiator shop said if they don't get the sealant on there and torque it down in time they fail. He's seen a few of them. I just don't want to have to deal with oil leaks forever! It's not that much and my level isn't down, but I just want it fixed.
This is the 2.4L Tigetshark SXT.

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
From the FSM:

CAUTION:
Engine assembly requires the use of a unique sealant that is compatible with engine oil. Using a sealant other than Mopar® Engine Sealant RTV Silicone Rubber Adhesive may result in engine fluid leakage.

CAUTION:
Following the application of Mopar® Engine Sealant RTV Silicone Rubber Adhesive to the gasket surfaces, the components must be assembled within 10 minutes and the attaching fasteners must be tightened to specification within the next 10 minutes. Prolonged exposure to the air prior to assembly may result in engine fluid leakage.

See page 39 in the Mopar Chemicals catalog:

Reactions: jsblanch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wondering if it’s the specific dealer I’ve been using then. Sounds like they aren’t following directions to the letter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ultra black rtv is a very good product. The key thing is to get every surface super clean (brake cleaner or similar) and let it set overnight before adding fluids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts