Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a strange smell when the car gets hot sitting in traffic. It was very faint but noticeable. I looked under the hood tonight and there is a small amount of what looks like oil leaking out of a tube at the front of the engine. I think the tube comes out the turbo, but not sure. It turns into a braided mesh hose and then disappears down below. Anybody know what this is. In 3000 miles, it looks like maybe a teaspoon has leaked out. I'll be taking it for an oil change at the dealer soon and will have it checked out but any input so I don't go in blind would be appreciated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think I saw oil on the engine block under the turbo last time I looked. I didn't look that hard though, will do tomorrow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like a feed or return line for the turbo's oil. If that continues to leak it could (possibly) start a fire.

·
Registered
686 Posts
More than likely it's oil built up in the cold side intercooler pipe. Get a catch can to put in the line between the PCV and the intake manifold. With the pressure from the turbo, the PCV sucks up more oil than an N/A engine and it ends up building in the intercooler pipes. Had this happen when I got my first NSRT-4 and then I got a catch can put in there and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to check that out this weekend. I love how much this forum helps with answering questions. I've worked on cars my whole life but never worked with a turbo, so i have a lot more to learn.

·
Registered
323 Posts
More than likely it's oil built up in the cold side intercooler pipe. Get a catch can to put in the line between the PCV and the intake manifold. With the pressure from the turbo, the PCV sucks up more oil than an N/A engine and it ends up building in the intercooler pipes. Had this happen when I got my first NSRT-4 and then I got a catch can put in there and it hasn't happened since.
It turns into a braided mesh hose and then disappears down below.
Pretty sure the catch can will do no good for this one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2013_dart_performance_2-4L.jpg

I tried to find a good picture of the front of the engine but this is the best i could find. I circled the bottom of the tube. It will be hard to get a pic due to the location. Does this help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts