Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept noticing some oil build up on my valve cover around the four spark plug but it wasn't bad. Just annoying to clean up every few thousand miles. It was never enough to need to add any oil. When I hit 20000 miles it got obnoxious. And within 800 miles I had lost a quarter of the dipstick worth of oil.

So I took in it to the dealer for warranty repair. I'm thinking a seal around the sparkplug was busted. Turns out the "Separator" was leaking. The little black box on top of the valve cover was what had been slowly building a leak this whole time. Now I wish I had gone and gotten it changed much sooner. Now hopefully my valvecover will stay nice and clean.

Something like makes me wonder if all those out there with engine covers would ever even notice if their separator was leaking.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I imagine I can't be the first person to have a separator go bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I had to have parts of the oil stem or whatever they want to call replaced, has anyone leaning on the glorious engine cover can cause the plastic to break. Which has only ever been the graciously, highly educated mechanics of Dewey Dodge in Ankeny Iowa. Just one of the numerous issues I've had. 70 plus trips to service and I have a 2013. YAY ME!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had this replaced 3 times, and if you can believe it , it's currently leaking, the best part is when it runs down onto the exhaust manifold when stopping and I get a nice blast of oil smoke through my AC vents, so look forward to having this replaced a few more times .....thanks a lot Chrysler

·
Registered
558 Posts
Had this replaced 3 times, and if you can believe it , it's currently leaking, the best part is when it runs down onto the exhaust manifold when stopping and I get a nice blast of oil smoke through my AC vents, so look forward to having this replaced a few more times .....thanks a lot Chrysler
yup/... my car's in the shop right now for that same leak...hopefully they fix it properly!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes I had to have parts of the oil stem or whatever they want to call replaced, has anyone leaning on the glorious engine cover can cause the plastic to break. Which has only ever been the graciously, highly educated mechanics of Dewey Dodge in Ankeny Iowa. Just one of the numerous issues I've had. 70 plus trips to service and I have a 2013. YAY ME!
Did they pay to fix the damages?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Mine has started to leak... I'm getting the burnt oil smell coming through the vents after I come to a stop.

Checked it out the other day. Sure enough, there's oil starting to build up under the air/oil separator.

I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty.
Does anyone know if this would be covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty??

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been getting that burning oil smell after about 30 min of driving and after hard stopping or hard left or right turning. Will be checking this out this weekend. Thanks for the tip. I always thought it had something to do with the heater/blower. Dealer has claimed unable to duplicate about 3 times now.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Mine has started to leak... I'm getting the burnt oil smell coming through the vents after I come to a stop.

Checked it out the other day. Sure enough, there's oil starting to build up under the air/oil separator.

I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty.
Does anyone know if this would be covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty??
It should since it's powertrain related.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Would mods cause this? Taking mine in tommorow and they told me it may not be covered because of the mods.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got every bolt on but a larger FMIC and they've never tried that BS with me over it, it'd be really hard to prove without a doubt that mods caused it, unless you somehow modded the PCV valve itself

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

This guy seems to have a similar problem. Is that what we are talking about here?
Yes. That black box is the separator that's leaking oil.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Would mods cause this? Taking mine in tommorow and they told me it may not be covered because of the mods.
No mod that I know of would cause this issue.

I'm completely stock besides a K&N drop-in filter.

There's no way any of your mods are causing it.
Don't let them scare you with B.S.

·
Registered
209 Posts
wouldn't have figured any would. I was looking at him while his eyes ran the line from there to my catch can, that's why I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
wouldn't have figured any would. I was looking at him while his eyes ran the line from there to my catch can, that's why I wasn't sure.
I don't see how they'd be able to prove an aftermarket catch can could cause damage to the factory separator.

Hopefully, the techs at your dealer are smart enough to see that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've taken it in before with the mods, and talked to them about them like I knew what I was doing. IMAG0261.jpg Hopefully I get the same peeps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just an update for anyone else who has this problem, it is covered under the drivetrain warranty. Mine will be taken care of and can take up to two days*

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update for anyone else who has this problem, it is covered under the drivetrain warranty. Mine will be taken care of and can take up to two days*
Is there any way, when you get it back, you can find out what parts are needed to fix it? (snapshot of the workorder or something) Mine is outside of its warranty so I will be fixing mine myself.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts