Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. Working on my Mom's 2015 2.0l. She has oil in the coolant reservoir & all of the coolant hoses ae swollen up with what seems like oil seeping out of them. There is no coolant in the oil. I plan on flushing the system, replacing the hoses, & replacing the thermostat, but am not sure what is causing the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't flush the system until you've resolved the problem. This is not a diagnosis you want to do in the driveway. For a permanent solution take it to a mechanic. They can replace anything that may have been damaged by the oil. If you want a quick fix without any more information, I'd suggest looking at the engine oil cooler. If the car is still running normally without a loss of power and white smoke coming out of the exhaust It's more than likely your issue, and also a cheap and easy part to replace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reading up on the oil cooler design, I can't help but shake my head. Apparently this is a common issue on these engines. Mainly because they put the cooler and lines right next to the exhaust manifold... Engineers, right? Looks like I'll be replacing mine as preventative maintenance. Deleting the oil cooling lines might also be an option. Here's a helpful video "
"

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also had oil start collecting in the coolant overflow reservoir a couple months ago. Replaced the oil cooler. OEM from the dealer was Backordered like 99% of parts lately...though it was only a 2 week wait. Fixed the issue for me.

Word of advice... the coolant lines were absolutely BAKED onto the metal flanges on the oil cooler. It was a major pain in the arse getting them to release from the cooler. Also, get a pneumatic spring clamp tool... so much easier getting those spring clamps up out of the way. Maybe its just my arms and hands, it was deceptive just how deep into the engine bay the oil cooler is, and for me getting to it from underneath wasn't very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts