Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 60000 miles on my dart has the 2.4 tigershark was recently shutting down when turning a corner found out when it drops in oil pressure car shuts itself down. So checked oil none registered on dip stick. I have 3000 miles to go for my next oil change. How many of you have the same issues???

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Some 2.4 Darts consume oil. It is a known issue. You can have the dealer do a Oil Consumption Test and if it fails, you could get a new engine, depending on your warranty.
In the meantime make it a habit to regularly check the dipstick and add oil if necessary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2014 with 2.4 engine and 65k miles. The dealer gives me a full synthetic oil change every 5k miles. So far I have done four of those. Each time, the engine burns a noticeable amount of oil, but has been slightly less than a full quart in 5000 miles. I am carrying a quart of synthetic 0W-20 in the trunk now in case the oil consumption increases.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ran into a stalling issue yesterday and had to pull off the side of the highway and add a quart; really glad that I keep a quart on standby.

Put the car into cruise at 40MPH and put the hazards on for 10 miles to make it to the nearest AutoZone. From what I can tell, I burned about 4 quarts in 4K miles since my last oil change. I'm accustomed to losing 1 quart in 7K so this surprised me, but I remembered that this is a more common issue for others. I'm at 67ishK so perhaps a problem is presenting. The engine is still under the 100K warranty, so I'll likely follow alpinegreenneon's advice and have the dealership do my oil consumption test.

Still carrying 3 quarts of SAE 0W-20 in my trunk as well and checking the oil level every few days; previously, I only checked at every fuel-up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks. I guess I'll just keep some spare oil around and save myself a trip to the dealership unless I hit that rate of consumption (which would be a double-edged sword of sorts).

By my estimate, that's already 1 quart / 1000 miles, so if it dips lower we may have what the dealership will recognize as an issue.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
I know that this "consumption" or whatever it is issue has been discussed alot, but I wonder what would happen if you use a heavier grade or non synthetic oil in the Multiairs ? The reason I ask is that back in the 90's I had a Plymouth Acclaim 4cyl which was one of the first generation of newer engines with a need for "thin" oil. I forget what the low viscosity was but it was shockingly low compared to what previous engines called for which was like 10w30 . Supposed because of more advanced close tolerances in the design. But it was later revealed that the low visc was more for MPG's . The heaver weight didn't allow as "free" of a movement.
Either way, my dad at the time said that it sounded like bullcrap in favor of mileage. So we ran 10w30 for like 145,000 miles and never used any oil. Other customers had head gaskets replaced and other oil related issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not opposed to trying a heavier weight of oil if my issue can't be solved and it doesn't have adverse effects; I'd have to research more.

I actually re-checked my book and I used 4 quarts in about 2350 miles that last time. So if we round to 2.4k, that's 1 quart every 600 miles. The last 500 miles haven't really shown anything. Dealership appointment is in the morning so I'll talk to them and see what comes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update on my personal situation.

Visited the dealership. They ran a check, topped me off on oil, and told me to come back in 2500 miles. I'm 1200ish miles in and from my own dipstick, I haven't seen consumption but I am PRETTY dirty on oil. I'm going in tomorrow for some other issues and will ask them if I can continue to the test or have to start over after an oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2.4l are known to consume oil from factory. Like someone had stated above you can have the dealer run a test and get you a new engine, or just use some thicker oil. I usually use 5w-20 and i tend to consume less oil than 0w20.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
2.4l are known to consume oil from factory. Like someone had stated above you can have the dealer run a test and get you a new engine, or just use some thicker oil. I usually use 5w-20 and i tend to consume less oil than 0w20.
Yeah from my understanding is there was a manufacture error with the pistons, which caused scoring in the cylinder walls and leading to the excessive burning of oil in a lot of 2.4s. This must have been a long issue until corrected, or possibly improper training for installation. I get this info from a Master tech at a dealer who has seen hundreds of 2.4s come in for this issue and replaced many of the engines. I don't know if he got that information from corporate or diagnosed it as an issue with the pistons, but either way something was not right on a lot of the 2.4s. Luckily mine does not burn too much oil even though i let it go for longer than 5k. I mean the people on here are seeing like 1quart loss in 1k miles. I might see that amount in 8k so overall I am not too worried about it.

So I wouldn't say it's an issue with all 2.4s, but a crap ton of them lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah from my understanding is there was a manufacture error with the pistons, which caused scoring in the cylinder walls and leading to the excessive burning of oil in a lot of 2.4s. This must have been a long issue until corrected, or possibly improper training for installation. I get this info from a Master tech at a dealer who has seen hundreds of 2.4s come in for this issue and replaced many of the engines. I don't know if he got that information from corporate or diagnosed it as an issue with the pistons, but either way something was not right on a lot of the 2.4s. Luckily mine does not burn too much oil even though i let it go for longer than 5k. I mean the people on here are seeing like 1quart loss in 1k miles. I might see that amount in 8k so overall I am not too worried about it.

So I wouldn't say it's an issue with all 2.4s, but a crap ton of them lol
Yea I used to work at a Dodge dealership and I saw a few 2.4 with this problem. I usually dont lose too much oil, maybe about a quart in between oil changes. But definitely try using alittle bit thicker oil. I have seen many cars consumer almost all the oil in just a few weeks, luckily the car will shut off if there is not enough oil. But, I have seen cases where even while driving if the car sense low oil it will shut off so be careful on that.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Yea I used to work at a Dodge dealership and I saw a few 2.4 with this problem. I usually dont lose too much oil, maybe about a quart in between oil changes. But definitely try using alittle bit thicker oil. I have seen many cars consumer almost all the oil in just a few weeks, luckily the car will shut off if there is not enough oil. But, I have seen cases where even while driving if the car sense low oil it will shut off so be careful on that.
Oh yeah i know I have heard of cars just shutting off because of it. Honestly they are hiding behind that TSB for oil consumption and hoping nothing bad happens until someone loses power going around a busy intersection, loses power steering and gets T-boned and killed or seriously injured. Until those cases come up, they are not going to actively look to fix this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh yeah i know I have heard of cars just shutting off because of it. Honestly they are hiding behind that TSB for oil consumption and hoping nothing bad happens until someone loses power going around a busy intersection, loses power steering and gets T-boned and killed or seriously injured. Until those cases come up, they are not going to actively look to fix this.
I had a customer tell me she was driving on the highway going around 60+ mph and the car shut off on her. Luckily it started back up and nothing happened but things could've been waaay worse

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The engine turns off due to lack of oil. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts