Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the struts on my 2013 Limited. I want to go as close to OEM as possible without having to pay Dodge Dealership prices. Has anyone used any of the Monroe quick-struts from Rockauto.com? Any other good finds that I could use? Car has nearly 200k miles and I don't expect to keep it more than a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Try a self serve junkyard. Some low miles wrecked Darts are out there. You might even find a GT with the firmer springs. Plus, while pulling them, you'll have some experience for when you pull yours. Rears are easy compared to fronts.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
start spraying down your nuts and bolts now on your control arm pinch point and where the bottom of the strut connects with penetrating oil while you shop around for your parts. you will thank yourself later.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
start spraying down your nuts and bolts now on your control arm pinch point and where the bottom of the strut connects with penetrating oil while you shop around for your parts. you will thank yourself later.
I assume you also need to remove the nuts at the top of the front struts as well, under the hood and covered by caps. On a 2013 with its original struts and caps, those will likely be a mass of rust due to water penetration. Even if he had creaky struts fixed, the official repair does not include doing anything with the covers.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I assume you also need to remove the nuts at the top of the front struts as well, under the hood and covered by caps. On a 2013 with its original struts and caps, those will likely be a mass of rust due to water penetration. Even if he had creaky struts fixed, the official repair does not include doing anything with the covers.
but the good news is if you are removing the struts you can use destructive means of removal on the rust. its a lot more complicated if you need to reuse. You do bring up a good point, it almost would be worth buying the new strut and spring together to avoid hassle. sometimes a little bit more money goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
but the good news is if you are removing the struts you can use destructive means of removal on the rust. its a lot more complicated if you need to reuse. You do bring up a good point, it almost would be worth buying the new strut and spring together to avoid hassle. sometimes a little bit more money goes a long way.
Well, the OP asked about replacing struts, so one would assume that would entail removing the old ones. How destructive are we talking here? The location is not such that you can just cut the nut/strut off with a plasma torch. Do you mean just wrenching them off with a breaker bar or impact gun so that as long as something comes free it's all good?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, the OP asked about replacing struts, so one would assume that would entail removing the old ones. How destructive are we talking here? The location is not such that you can just cut the nut/strut off with a plasma torch. Do you mean just wrenching them off with a breaker bar or impact gun so that as long as something comes free it's all good?
Maybe he's talking about putting an angle grinder to it :D I agree with this!!!

Actually I have no idea unless he's talking about grinding the shock from the inside of the wheel well but I dunno. I suppose for me it would just be easier to get a spring compression tool. Less violent and destructive, but does the job (safely).

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Im talking about using any means necessary to get the top nut off depending on amount of rust. dremmel it off, chisel it off, whatever is needed. hammer on a socket and crack that air gun up to 11 to remove it if needed. That kind of thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I got a little worried because I stopped reading after the first 5 words, but then the rest of the sentence made sense. :big smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thankfully, living in south Louisiana, I don’t have to worry so much about the rust. Thanks everyone for the great info. This forum has never let me down!

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
also make sure you have quality jack stands set up properly for this. It is always a good idea to have jack stands but this project more so as you could be wrenching on bolts that shake the car. There is also the fact that if something unfortunate happens with the jack, instead of just brake rotors taking the brunt of the hit, all that will be removed and its going to be just front quarter panel and gets $$$ to fix that kind of thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts