Dodge Dart Forum banner

Odd Transmission Error-- No shifting and No gear inicator

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  alpinegreenneon 
#1 · (Edited)
This has happened 3 times in 5 years

2013 Rallye Dodge Dart with 104K+ on it. I have owned the car since new. First NEW car purchase since a 1991 Chevy Caviler.

2.0L Tigershark™ engine / 6sp Powertech Automatic transmission (with AutoStick® feature)

I have had the issue where the transmission will not shift automatically (it is an automatic) It will not shift up or down. It will also not show at all what gear the transmission is in AKA the little red indicator is not on.

A cycle off power with the key will fix things (for now) I have had it to the dealer once for this issue and they reported they found nothing.

I am in need of doing some expensive fixes to this car (AC) and before I do I am wanting some assurances that I will do not have major electrical issues on the horizon. Is this a common Dart issue ?

Thanks

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a new recall for Darts with the auto trans involving the cable bushing but parts are not yet available.

#3 · (Edited)
You could try re-seating and adding some silicon dielectric grease to the trans range sensor connector.

Diagram Parallel

Text Font Parallel Document

The TRS sits on top of the trans where the shift cable attaches.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

#4 ·
My car's been randomly doing this for about a year now. It all started when I parked on a decent incline at my local auto parts store. When I took it out of park it made a loud noise and wouldn't display the gear. It throws the check engine light and goes into limp mode putting the trans in 3rd gear only. Turn it off and restart it it's fine. The engine light goes off in 3 drive cycles. If you catch the no gear display before you move forward you can usually put it in neutral and back to drive and it will display the gear. Very annoying but very random. The code that pops up is P0705 Transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (PRNDL input). I'm out of my warranty wondering if the new trans recall has anything to do with this issue as well?

#5 ·
The range sensor is easy to replace but you first want to try a little dielectric grease in the connector. Might just be a poor connection.

#9 ·
#12 ·
It's on top of the transmission, just below the battery tray. It has an electrical connector and you should be able to see the shift cable attached to it.
There are two small bolts and a nut in the center that need to be removed. There is not a lot of room. In the TSB and Recall forum there are some more pics in the V34 recall thread about removing the shift cable.