Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good grief. After 45k uneventful miles owning my Dart troubles have come my way. First off, the check engine light came on last week. Ok. Got it home, hooked up the OBDM and it threw me a code for a faulty thermostat or the temp sensor. Ok. Figured it would be under warranty. Nope! Dodge claims it’s an electrical issue. I’m not too happy about that answer. Here is why. That sensor is part of the emissions control! And if the sensor is good then it is a faulty thermostat. Which is not electrical. Anyways, I cleared the code, check engine light off. It stayed off for another 400 miles. Today it come back on. Well, that was the start. About 35 miles later the car started acting like it was misfiring. I suspect a faulty ignition coil pack. I checked the reader again and that code is again the thermostat. Nothing else! No new code. Dammit! At this point I have to assume my gut. But, before I get into the car this weekend I want to ask some of you. Your thoughts? It’s the 2.0 Motor. I can’t seem to find much on the web regarding this misfire/ motor issue. It’s definitely a misfire and definitely out of one cylinder from my experience. Second thought, are these finicky with electrical parts? Should I avoid non dodge ignition packs? Some vehicles are very finicky in my experiences. And lastly, how difficult to do for a guy dangerous enough to know enough but not be an expert? The vehicle is in time out until I can mess with it this weekend. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
246 Posts
When you drive the car, what does your instrument cluster say for coolant temps? Have you replaced your spark plugs? They're only good for 30k miles.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
When you drive the car, what does your instrument cluster say for coolant temps? Have you replaced your spark plugs? They're only good for 30k miles.
For a 2016 Dart Rallye, the only engine options would be the 2.4L or 2.0L (they made some oddball cars at the end of the run when they revamped the lineup). He said he had the 2.0L engine, but either way, the OEM spark plugs should be good for up to 100K miles, and definitely for more than 45K miles. Still, they might be worth replacing anyway. I'd say checking, but for the minimal cost of the good spark plugs for those engines, you might as well put new ones in if you're going to the effort of taking the old ones out.

Also, a Rallye with its analog and wee little EVIC doesn't tell you the coolant temperature. The only way to get that information is if you have a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle (OBDLink MX is recommended, since you can use AlfaOBD with it) and software to read the PIDs from it (OBDLink has proprietary software, but there are other options like Torque for Android devices).

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good grief. After 45k uneventful miles owning my Dart troubles have come my way. First off, the check engine light came on last week. Ok. Got it home, hooked up the OBDM and it threw me a code for a faulty thermostat or the temp sensor. Ok. Figured it would be under warranty. Nope! Dodge claims it’s an electrical issue. I’m not too happy about that answer. Here is why. That sensor is part of the emissions control! And if the sensor is good then it is a faulty thermostat. Which is not electrical. Anyways, I cleared the code, check engine light off. It stayed off for another 400 miles. Today it come back on. Well, that was the start. About 35 miles later the car started acting like it was misfiring. I suspect a faulty ignition coil pack. I checked the reader again and that code is again the thermostat. Nothing else! No new code. Dammit! At this point I have to assume my gut. But, before I get into the car this weekend I want to ask some of you. Your thoughts? It’s the 2.0 Motor. I can’t seem to find much on the web regarding this misfire/ motor issue. It’s definitely a misfire and definitely out of one cylinder from my experience. Second thought, are these finicky with electrical parts? Should I avoid non dodge ignition packs? Some vehicles are very finicky in my experiences. And lastly, how difficult to do for a guy dangerous enough to know enough but not be an expert? The vehicle is in time out until I can mess with it this weekend. Thank you in advance!
Does the car show unusual high coolant temp or low coolant temp? That sould be the first clue of a bad thermostat. The termostat problem is well known issue on the 2.0/2.4l engine and a pita to change but not hard. As for the ignition pack, you can go with aftermarket part, most of the time they will perform as well.

The spark plug are good for 100k miles on the 2.0/2.4 engine, only on the 1.4t that they need to be change every 30k

·
Registered
645 Posts
Okay @Big had. Here is an out of the box possibility. I have 67K on my 2.0 2013. I now am on my third battery. I just put the third one in last Friday. When the first one went bad my car was running like POOP!. I don't remember the CEL trouble code it threw but I took the dart to AutoZone to get the codes read. on the way there the CEL went out. When they read the code it was something obscure. When I went to start the car to drive home, all the needles on the dash started bouncing and then the wipers came on, the car would not even turn over. I had them check the battery, sure as shooting it was bad.

Get your Battery checked.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you’re getting a misfire on your 2.0 it’s most likely a faulty coil pack. Remove it and look for a white dot on the rubber boot. If you can’t find anything wrong visually with the coil then swap it to a different cylinder and see if the misfire follows that specific coil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. It was a coil pack boot that developed a pin hole and was racing off the block. Replaced it yesterday and problem was gone. As for thermostat issue the car is running slightly below normal area of needle when engine light comes on. I feel comfortable saying the thermostat is staying stuck open. Gonna change that out when I get some time and desire to line up! It must be a pain as warranty work pays 2 hours labor to the dealer for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
bla1971
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing