Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...

We love the car, but there are a few noises that we are curious about...

1. Whenever you open the door after the car has been off for a little bit, it sounds like a little spaceship noise winding up? Anyone know why?? Or what that noise is?

2. When downshifting & slowing down, sometimes the car will downshift the same time I do, which when I am going from 4th to 3rd, the car seems to shift the same time I do and that puts it into 2nd..or 3rd to 2nd, the car slams into 1st... it doesnt always do this, but should I just not downshift when coming to a stop? Driving standard my whole life, downshifting to stop lights and traffic saves on the brakes, but this is when it seems to happen...

3. The car seems to shift more smoothly between 5/6K rpm when I'm going for speed...(not that I speed..) :p .. Ive never owned an autostick, or turbo... is this because of this combo? Is it bad to shift it that high?

Just curious on everyone's input... helps talking to other people that owned the car! Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
Doesn't seem like the Dodge DCCT transmission. It will not let you miss-shit, such as trying to go to too low of a gear for your present speed........."Shift Not Allowed."

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't seem like the Dodge DCCT transmission. It will not let you miss-shit, such as trying to go to too low of a gear for your present speed........."Shift Not Allowed."
I've seen that come on the screen once... "Shift not allowed" when downshifting.. Like I said it doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while... I was just like ok..so don't downshift just brake like an automatic? But I like to downshift.. Assuming its just not necessary..

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Ok...

We love the car, but there are a few noises that we are curious about...

1. Whenever you open the door after the car has been off for a little bit, it sounds like a little spaceship noise winding up? Anyone know why?? Or what that noise is?

2. When downshifting & slowing down, sometimes the car will downshift the same time I do, which when I am going from 4th to 3rd, the car seems to shift the same time I do and that puts it into 2nd..or 3rd to 2nd, the car slams into 1st... it doesnt always do this, but should I just not downshift when coming to a stop? Driving standard my whole life, downshifting to stop lights and traffic saves on the brakes, but this is when it seems to happen...

3. The car seems to shift more smoothly between 5/6K rpm when I'm going for speed...(not that I speed..) :p .. Ive never owned an autostick, or turbo... is this because of this combo? Is it bad to shift it that high?

Just curious on everyone's input... helps talking to other people that owned the car! Thanks in advance!
The noise you hear when unlocking your doors is the engine preparing for launch.......its normal

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Downshifting is hard on synchros for manual trannies. With the DDC being an robo shifted manual, I can only assume that it too has synchronizers in it. Which would you'd rather rebuild/replace? The tranny over time, or brakes?

Brake like you would in any other auto, let the car downshift itself, its programed to do so at a very low, safe speed for synchronizedr longevity.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
1. Read post by fnkychkn here:

http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-general-discussion/5091-what-sound.html

2. Don't have one, but I'd probably let it downshift by itself if I did.

3. Shifting at 5k rpm will bring you back down to maybe 3500 rpm, so when you get back on the gas you're already in the turbos power band. If you shift early and your rpm drops below 2500-2700 (3k maybe?) then you aren't getting maximum boost as quickly after the shift and power won't be as smooth as it will be if you keep the rpm above that 2700 range.

When I shift depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm babying it ill shift at 3k to stay out of boost completely. If I feel like "going somewhere" ill shift up around 5-6 to keep the boost up. The "current mpg" meter goes WAY down if you're up that high with your foot in it :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The Dart is a street car, not a race car and was never intended to be driven as such.
Indeed. I don't think it'll ever be a race car until the Srt or rt comes out later on down the line

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Whoever said it was a race car? Guess you are trying to tell us your Neon was a race car? LOL So's my modded VW 1.8T then.

So since you seem to be so knowledgeable about all things racing why would you jump to the conclusion that canyon carving = racing?
I don't know who you think you've got me confused with, but I've never owned a Neon SRT4, lol.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So an 10 year old SRT chassis based on a much older Neon chassis is going to canyon carve better than a new Alfa Romero chassis? I don't think so.
I would have to agree wit this guy^ . Speed aside, the dart could carve a better line than the NSRT when comparing stock chassis to stock chassis.

Reactions: KrazyBeautiful

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
I don't know who you think you've got me confused with, but I've never owned a Neon SRT4, lol.
Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet. lol

Bottom line-I NEVER said the Dart is a "race car" and yes I believe it will out canyon carve many sports cars stock for stock. Just the other day a sport bike rider on here said his new Dart is faster in the twisties than his bike. When is the last time you heard someone say that?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ok let's look at it like this. Performance goes to the Srt4. Handling goes to the dart. I've driven both and can say the dart's handling is better but performance wise, the neon has it hands down

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
Thank you!

There is room for both under the Dodge tent. And considering the NSRT has a 1 liter advantage in forced induction engine size it need not worry about ever being overtaken, on the straits anyway, by a 2013 1.4T Dart.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thank you!

There is room for both under the Dodge tent. And considering the NSRT has a 1 liter advantage in forced induction engine size it need not worry about ever being overtaken, on the straits anyway, by a 2013 1.4T Dart.
Exactly. Let's make this simple. It you want power, go neon. If you want gas, go dart. Simple:furious:

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
True today. Tomorrow, the Dart SRT will be king. So the old Dodge 2.4T was 230 bhp, right? I wonder what the new 2.4T will be rated? I'm going to guess because gas costs 3X as much as when they were designing the NSRT in 2002, the new DSRT will be tuned for economy and will be increased to "only" 275 bhp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts