Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add this to the list of issues. Jump in my car today, after a couple weeks of dead battery, and the throttle won't go over 2-3K RPM. I can get the car rolling, but it falls on its face. I got things to do this weekend and don't have time to take it in. I wish I had kept my Avenger :mad:

j

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Add this to the list of issues. Jump in my car today, after a couple weeks of dead battery, and the throttle won't go over 2-3K RPM. I can get the car rolling, but it falls on its face. I got things to do this weekend and don't have time to take it in. I wish I had kept my Avenger :mad:

j

WELLL, lets figure out what the issue is before you get too bent out of shape! You can try to reset the Throttle position sensor which could be messed up due to the battery being dead?!?! I think you turn the key to "ON" without starting the car and push the throttle pedal in either 3 or 5 times within 10 seconds to reset the throttle body. Also, if there is NO CEL then there really isnt anything wrong and general diagnosis should fix whatever issue you are having. Also, Viper remote starts, or any aftermarket remote starts are INFAMOUS for causing parasitic draws on the battery of your car. Which would most likely explain your dead battery issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciat your info. I'll look into that when I get home.

I've never had a viper cause a parasitic draw on any other vehicles. From my 98 Dakota to my 13 Avenger, we've had 8 different makes and models. This is the only one I've had issues with. It seems, my Dart doesn't like it. My wife's Dart with the same system has no current issues.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
WELLL, lets figure out what the issue is before you get too bent out of shape! You can try to reset the Throttle position sensor which could be messed up due to the battery being dead?!?! I think you turn the key to "ON" without starting the car and push the throttle pedal in either 3 or 5 times within 10 seconds to reset the throttle body. Also, if there is NO CEL then there really isnt anything wrong and general diagnosis should fix whatever issue you are having. Also, Viper remote starts, or any aftermarket remote starts are INFAMOUS for causing parasitic draws on the battery of your car. Which would most likely explain your dead battery issue.
What you describe is the procedure for resetting the oil change interval to zero. So if you depend on the oil change message to change your oil, don't do this. :) I don't think this will reset the TPS, in any case. It looks like there may be different ways to reset it (depending on the vehicle), just google "calibrate dodge throttle position sensor". None of these processes is likely to cause any problems.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, it looks like a couple ignition cycles cleared up the issue. It seems to be running gine, after it starts.

j

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
What you describe is the procedure for resetting the oil change interval to zero. So if you depend on the oil change message to change your oil, don't do this. :) I don't think this will reset the TPS, in any case. It looks like there may be different ways to reset it (depending on the vehicle), just google "calibrate dodge throttle position sensor". None of these processes is likely to cause any problems.
Well on my car the Oil change interval is set by holding the arrow on my steering wheel with the car in the "ON" position but not running. :p ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Exitus04
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing