Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered these on Monday due to a major misfire condition starting up for work. It straight up ran on 3 cylinders for about 15 seconds which I'm very familiar with the feel due to my old project cars..

What's really strange is that there was NEVER an idiot light to say hey shits hit the fan and I need help! which leads me to believe that it's been misfiring for a while based on the difference. I opened a thread last year about it and never got around to it but it seemed to run fine and I didn't have the money to just swap things out based on the occasional burp.

Anyway back to the coil packs and plugs.

These things are a steal! At $161 for all 4 plus copper plugs from rockauto it beats anythjng I could have found locally. The thing is though the car runs smoother then it's ever ran! I idled for a while, gave it the beans and this car just has never felt this smooth!
It's also not backfiring at all but I've only tested it today. I'll see Monday when I climb the hill on the 1 if it backfires when I let it go which it did just about every day.

I'm in love!

Onto my current concern though I am not sure if this is the only issue with the car currently. One of my plugs is a bit lighter then the others. Cylinder 3 to be specific which I'm pretty sure is a lean condition. Wouldn't a misfire cause the exact opposite?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So I ordered these on Monday due to a major misfire condition starting up for work. It straight up ran on 3 cylinders for about 15 seconds which I'm very familiar with the feel due to my old project cars..

What's really strange is that there was NEVER an idiot light to say hey shits hit the fan and I need help! which leads me to believe that it's been misfiring for a while based on the difference. I opened a thread last year about it and never got around to it but it seemed to run fine and I didn't have the money to just swap things out based on the occasional burp.

These things are a steal! At $161 for all 4 plus copper plugs from rockauto it beats anythjng I could have found locally. The thing is though the car runs smoother then it's ever ran! I idled for a while, gave it the beans and this car just has never felt this smooth!
It's also not backfiring at all but I've only tested it today. I'll see Monday when I climb the hill on the 1 if it backfires when I let it go which it did just about every day.

I'm in love!

Onto my current concern though I am not sure if this is the only issue with the car currently. One of my plugs is a bit lighter then the others. Cylinder 3 to be specific which I'm pretty sure is a lean condition. Wouldn't a misfire cause the exact opposite?
How many miles are on your Dart? Also, are there any differences between the NGK and Mopar/OEM coil packs (besides price)?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on your Dart? Also, are there any differences between the NGK and Mopar/OEM coil packs (besides price)?
63k which is pretty damn early for coils to go bad, but the plugs had 35k on them. They were champion iridium plugs gapped at .054, but huge difference.

I had a chat with my boss over it and he shared some really helpful information which pretty much confirmed my misfire condition. Number 3 was actually running too hot...I think the coil while cold kind of did a hangover oh yes, I got his act, then sent too much voltage afterwords while warm.

I initially thought I had a fuel issue, but that may not be the case at all.

As much as I'd like to say I'm glad it's running smoother then ever I also am pretty sure I lost a small bit of performance especially in the low end. The throttle is super sensitive normally with the RRM tuner after you pull the battery, but this time it felt pretty lazy almost stock lazy...

I'll get a better feel for it when I drive to work tomorrow (20.4 miles) so maybe I'll have more data later.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What part number plugs did you get?
Go to rockauto.com, they are pretty much the only NGK plugs on their site listed for the 2016 2.4L

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
63k which is pretty damn early for coils to go bad, but the plugs had 35k on them. They were champion iridium plugs gapped at .054, but huge difference.

I had a chat with my boss over it and he shared some really helpful information which pretty much confirmed my misfire condition. Number 3 was actually running too hot...I think the coil while cold kind of did a hangover oh yes, I got his act, then sent too much voltage afterwords while warm.

I initially thought I had a fuel issue, but that may not be the case at all.

As much as I'd like to say I'm glad it's running smoother then ever I also am pretty sure I lost a small bit of performance especially in the low end. The throttle is super sensitive normally with the RRM tuner after you pull the battery, but this time it felt pretty lazy almost stock lazy...

I'll get a better feel for it when I drive to work tomorrow (20.4 miles) so maybe I'll have more data later.
Funny you mention that about the RRM Tuner. I always disconnect my negative when I do my oil change to allow the ECU to "forget" any behavior it learned and perhaps tried to "normalize". Last time when I did this and reconnected, car felt sluggish. As if the tuner did nothing and I was concerned. After awhile it seemed like something adjusted/kicked in and was back where I felt it should be. Did not take long, and did not notice when it actually happened, but it definitely did not happen right away.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you mention that about the RRM Tuner. I always disconnect my negative when I do my oil change to allow the ECU to "forget" any behavior it learned and perhaps tried to "normalize". Last time when I did this and reconnected, car felt sluggish. As if the tuner did nothing and I was concerned. After awhile it seemed like something adjusted/kicked in and was back where I felt it should be. Did not take long, and did not notice when it actually happened, but it definitely did not happen right away.

Interesting. It might have done exactly this before as well and I'm just forgetting that, its hard to tell, but like I said I'll get a better feel for it tomorrow!

Still, I'm envious of your syked tune...if I had $1000 it would be on my list!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Interesting. It might have done exactly this before as well and I'm just forgetting that, its hard to tell, but like I said I'll get a better feel for it tomorrow!

Still, I'm envious of your syked tune...if I had $1000 it would be on my list!
It's only $499 (only compared to $1000) for a new tuned ECU from Syked.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's only $499 (only compared to $1000) for a new tuned ECU from Syked.

Hey man, chill it!

You are tempting me to take on side jobs for that $499 and I sure do like my nights/weekends!

Edit: as I just found out, I will be working remotely tomorrow so I will not be driving in...

This corona virus is rediculously stupid! Does anyone else feel like we are overreacting???

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
This corona virus is rediculously stupid! Does anyone else feel like we are overreacting???
As individuals, yeah, people are being a bit dumb and doing stupid stuff like buying a 3 year supply of toilet paper and hoarding hand sanitizer.

But if you mean overall, then no, the United States is under-reacting and has probably already missed the window of opportunity to prevent a situation similar to what is happening in Italy, who also responded to the start of the outbreak primarily by closing their borders. People were saying the same thing about overreacting in Spain a week ago, they didn't do what all the actual epidemiologists are saying we need to be doing, and now everything is shut down and their healthcare system is heading toward collapse. This is disease for which literally nobody has any natural immunity, making it more infectious than almost any other disease currently out there. If you are exposed to it, there's a good chance that you will become ill. I hear a lot of people say that the flu kills more people, but that is absolutely not true. We still don't know the exact mortality rate of COVID-19, but it was about 4% in China, and is trending at something like 8% in Italy. Even in the elderly, the flu has about a 0.75% mortality rate. That's world-wide, including third-world countries with limited access to healthcare and vaccines. We're still at the start of this pandemic, it will get worse than it is now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You read my mind and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one here.

We went past the point of no return awhile ago and well, histeria in an absolute shitfest.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yep. And because people cannot be responsible adults, the government has to step in and enforce it legally. My state (Massachusetts) just closed all schools until 4/6, restaurants cannot have sit down service (take out & delivery only) and no gatherings more than 25 people. This is partially in response to Southie being packed yesterday with St Patrick's day coming up.

Not to derail here, but I am; people need to be saved from themselves and the potential impact they have on others.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. And because people cannot be responsible adults, the government has to step in and enforce it legally. My state (Massachusetts) just closed all schools until 4/6, restaurants cannot have sit down service (take out & delivery only) and no gatherings more than 25 people. This is partially in response to Southie being packed yesterday with St Patrick's day coming up.

Not to derail here, but I am; people need to be saved from themselves and the potential impact they have on others.

They pretty much shut everything down here as well in central CA.

It hurts small businesses though and most people do not have any kind of savings or even supplies to help here.

My trip yesterday to test the car involved going to Stevie's Cafe in Prunedale. It's a good place to eat with damn fine people and they need any help they can get because it's been a ghost town as in zero income which they posted online.

I'm going to get it, you are too and I'm not going to hide behind my door over this.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
They pretty much shut everything down here as well in central CA.

It hurts small businesses though and most people do not have any kind of savings or even supplies to help here.

My trip yesterday to test the car involved going to Stevie's Cafe in Prunedale. It's a good place to eat with damn fine people and they need any help they can get because it's been a ghost town as in zero income which they posted online.

I'm going to get it, you are too and I'm not going to hide behind my door over this.
My younger daughter works at a small indoor playground part-time. They depend on hosting 8 parties on the weekend. Two weeks ago they had no openings this weekend. Ultimately, they only had one party and half the kids didn't show up. The owners are a couple in their 30s who bought the business last year, partly by remortgaging their house. If there is no government aid, they will likely lose their home and their business all at once. I guess I can deal with working very inefficiently at home for a few weeks for a company that could afford a $350 million acquisition last year.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

What's really strange is that there was NEVER an idiot light to say hey shits hit the fan
The last time I switched out my copper spark plugs for new copper plugs, I jumped in the Dart and turned her on. I immediately felt the car running on 3 cylinders. It was idling at like 1500-2500 up and down and it was violently shaking. No check engine light as you mentioned. I turned the car off, turned it back on and it was perfectly fine. So I have no idea WHY it happened. It scared me pretty good though, thought the engine was gonna explode lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm in love!

I had a coil failure and it took a few miles for a check engine code to pop. I think it was number 2, but I have since slowly replaced all my coils. My local parts store closely matched Rockauto after talking to them. I try to shop local but sometimes they are so far off on the exact part and brand.

You can lean misfire. Modern engines want to run super lean, so a good ignition system is a must (usually a da-duh-da-duh-duh sputter on light throttle). I recently swapped from NKG platinum to NKG iridium and wow much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts