Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone so i am new to the forum, well kind of. I visited the forums back in June just haven't been back on since. With recent light of the issues on my car figured it would be good to get back on.

I have a 2015 Dodge Dart SXT that has been giving me nothing but issues. Wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same type of problems i am having.

I can go into details once i get this with 5 likes i think is what the instruction says. Long story short for now my car is consuming all its oil by the time my car reaches 50 percent with only driving under 3,800 miles... The dealership gave me this paper that showed how the darts normal consumption is 1 L per every 2,000 miles driven give or take.. Well i obviously haven't driven my car 8,000 miles before it consumes all its oil. I have brought it to the same dealership no 3 to 4 times that way dealerships aren't pointing their fingers to each other like they started to do at first.

Any information or similar issues/ resolutions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just by the nature of the design of the 2.4L, the oil consumption will be a bit higher than other cars in that oil is pumped onto the cylinder walls for cooling. As the piston goes through the downstroke, the rings relax and allow some oil to slip past the rings. This is more pronounced during the period while the engine is new and still "breaking in" as it takes some time for the rings to fully seat. With any car though, it would be wise to check the oil level once a week and add when needed. To run that low on oil, particularly when the engine is new, is catastrophic, and it is possible that the cylinder walls may have already been scored.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Also since you provided a readable and understandable description feel free to give us the the long version with more details.

Here are your 5 likes for whatever you needed them for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I understand where everyone is coming from with good habit being to check oil levels on a weekly basis.

Now is it normal for the car to burn through all of its oil in 3,800 miles?

Dodge was adiment about telling me it is normal consumption of L of oil for 2,000 miles driven.

Once I got home I looked at my pet invoices to see how many miles my car had pre oil change to oil change and 3,800 was the most. So it definitely does not match to their standards.

This has been going on for some time now with nothing that can be done other than me keeping up with my oil in between changes.. I find this a little crazy? Am I wrong for thinking this?

All the cars I have owned or know that anyone owns I have never heard of filling the oil that much in between service..

Any information will help! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you out with the oil consumption problem because I have the 1.4L turbo and it doesn't burn any oil. From what I've heard from other members with the 2.4L it goes through oil pretty regular.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts