Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started replacing rear caliper, rotors, and pads tonight. Got everything swapped out and as I was putting the spring clips on I realized my new pads didn't have any holes for them! All videos that I saw had pads with clips and holes. I was sent a hardware kit with new spring clips so I'm quite confused. The pads ordered were Raybestos EHT1647H from RockAuto. Top are my old pads, bottom the ones they sent.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
Started replacing rear caliper, rotors, and pads tonight. Got everything swapped out and as I was putting the spring clips on I realized my new pads didn't have any holes for them! All videos that I saw had pads with clips and holes. I was sent a hardware kit with new spring clips so I'm quite confused. The pads ordered were Raybestos EHT1647H from RockAuto. Top are my old pads, bottom the ones they sent. View attachment 125593 View attachment 125594
yeah every aftermarket set of pad I have gotten had the springs and it helps keep them in. Looks like they might have sent you the wrong ones. I would contact the seller and verify. I only get power stop brakes and they are good. I found the listing on rock auto for these https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7469944&cc=3309781&jsn=466 and i see it comes with the springs but i cannot see if the holes are present. It might be a manufacturing error and they give the hardware but forgot the holes. I see they were in the premium section, which I usually just buy from the daily driver section, but i actually got the premium level power stop brakes on amazon when I bought mine. For anything on rock auto i usually just get daily driver as they work just as well for a good price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah every aftermarket set of pad I have gotten had the springs and it helps keep them in. Looks like they might have sent you the wrong ones. I would contact the seller and verify. I only get power stop brakes and they are good. I found the listing on rock auto for these More Information for RAYBESTOS EHT1647H and i see it comes with the springs but i cannot see if the holes are present. It might be a manufacturing error and they give the hardware but forgot the holes. I see they were in the premium section, which I usually just buy from the daily driver section, but i actually got the premium level power stop brakes on amazon when I bought mine. For anything on rock auto i usually just get daily driver as they work just as well for a good price.
Okay, yeah wasn't sure if there were styles for our car that didn't require the springs...but from what I saw all tutorials were swapping in pads with holes on the backing for the clips. Super bummed cause I was trying to get my rears done yesterday. Got lots to do on the car this week. Also used RockAuto a lot and haven't had a problem like this before. But I started a return with RockAuto so just gotta get things out and see if they'll accept the return.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
Okay, yeah wasn't sure if there were styles for our car that didn't require the springs...but from what I saw all tutorials were swapping in pads with holes on the backing for the clips. Super bummed cause I was trying to get my rears done yesterday. Got lots to do on the car this week. Also used RockAuto a lot and haven't had a problem like this before. But I started a return with RockAuto so just gotta get things out and see if they'll accept the return.
They will accept them, but they make you pay for return shipping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They will accept them, but they make you pay for return shipping.
So I marked it as a manufacturer defect because it doesn't have the holes. Apparently they're paying for the shipping. 🤷 Just gotta get them back and see if they accept it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a set I had not put on. The springs were there the holes were not. I have emailed Raybestos for guidance. The springs keep the pads off of the rotor. Many techs skip them anyways as they can be a PITA.

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts
I have a set I had not put on. The springs were there the holes were not. I have emailed Raybestos for guidance. The springs keep the pads off of the rotor. Many techs skip them anyways as they can be a PITA.
They are definitely a pain. Not the worst thing ever, but definitely very annoyed when putting them in and then the spring falls out. Or get it in there and then BOOM spring flies across the garage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are definitely a pain. Not the worst thing ever, but definitely very annoyed when putting them in and then the spring falls out. Or get it in there and then BOOM spring flies across the garage.
The Wagner OEX Pads don't show the spring in anything I have found. I am wondering if they decided to ditch them. Just it's cheaper to throw a spring that costs a few cents into the box instead of paying someone to package it without. Raybestos has not been very helpful so I ordered some Centric pads for front and rear. I don't have time to mess around with "will it work" like Raybestos is doing. If I had a way to email rockauto vs call them. I am sure a picture to them would be helpful.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If the OP returned these, I think I will be doing most of my ordering from Amazon from now on. They are not watching very well for problems. Raybestos's answer was "The part number is correct. We have not had any complaints". I am sending back both front and rear. I don't have time to deal with QC issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, the clips weren't THAT bad for me. Get the top one in, hold together in about the middle, get the bottom clip in, put the caliper over the top of the pad and rotate it down and over the pads.

I have yet to return these. Hoping I can do that soon. However I did get a pre-paid shipping label from RA. When you start a return it will ask you various questions like part number, part number on the actual part, etc... I think the one that got me the pre-paid label was selecting the return as a manufacturer defect. The return isn't refunded, but getting the label paid for was a partial win from what I hear. This was a headache for me because I was stupid and didn't verify my parts before ripping the old ones off. So I had a car on stands for a day while I sourced new parts. Anywho, hopefully it gets accepted. Really disappointed with RA because I've used them lots in the past and have had to issues. :/

·
Registered
195 Posts
Honestly, the clips weren't THAT bad for me. Get the top one in, hold together in about the middle, get the bottom clip in, put the caliper over the top of the pad and rotate it down and over the pads.

I have yet to return these. Hoping I can do that soon. However I did get a pre-paid shipping label from RA. When you start a return it will ask you various questions like part number, part number on the actual part, etc... I think the one that got me the pre-paid label was selecting the return as a manufacturer defect. The return isn't refunded, but getting the label paid for was a partial win from what I hear. This was a headache for me because I was stupid and didn't verify my parts before ripping the old ones off. So I had a car on stands for a day while I sourced new parts. Anywho, hopefully it gets accepted. Really disappointed with RA because I've used them lots in the past and have had to issues. :/
Your post made me go check before I put them on. So thank you for making it. I am also digging my Centric PQ Pro pads. The rears are superb. The front I need to install 🤣

On the springs I have always found just being careful with them them and squeezing them a little if they won't cooperate to be helpful.

For me they won't pay it and my state is on a stay at home order. The virus is in my neighborhood so I may just take the loss on the pads. The front look GOOD so I may gift them to my brother in law 🤣

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your post made me go check before I put them on. So thank you for making it. I am also digging my Centric PQ Pro pads. The rears are superb. The front I need to install 🤣

On the springs I have always found just being careful with them them and squeezing them a little if they won't cooperate to be helpful.

For me they won't pay it and my state is on a stay at home order. The virus is in my neighborhood so I may just take the loss on the pads. The front look GOOD so I may gift them to my brother in law 🤣
I heard Centric pads were pretty good. Shoulda gone with them instead :( So they won't pay for them even though you marked them as having a manufacturer defect? That's a bummer. It's a good thing the pads weren't super expensive if they're not gonna foot the bill, but it's still annoying :/

·
Super Moderator
4,770 Posts

Well RA is just the supplier that ships the parts out. If it was the manufacture's issue then RA would have never known. Their return polices are meh. But you can't really beat some of their prices. I just got 4 rotors for my Blazer, under $100 shipped. Autozone want's like $60 for ONE and no shipping. lol No thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well RA is just the supplier that ships the parts out. If it was the manufacture's issue then RA would have never known. Their return polices are meh. But you can't really beat some of their prices. I just got 4 rotors for my Blazer, under $100 shipped. Autozone want's like $60 for ONE and no shipping. lol No thanks.
Good point. Just trying to throw blame around 😆 I've used Summit Racing twice and their base prices seemed a touch higher than RA, but their shipping prices were less. So I'd have to compare final prices on some orders and see what they look like. But yeah I would agree that I've found the big box auto parts stores are a complete rip off compared to what RA can offer with just about all the things I've needed, even with shipping.

·
Registered
891 Posts

Hopefully RA stops listing these rear pads as compatible with our Darts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hopefully RA stops listing these rear pads as compatible with our Darts.
It seems to be a manufacturing issue, like Cntroller suggested--either in their QA department or actual manufacturing. I guess pulling them from their offerings would send a message to the manufacturer; but it appears other suppliers are selling these as compatible with the Dart. They were just delivered to RA today, so we'll see what they decide in a few days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts