Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still having issues with my negative battery terminal being too loose even after getting the proper nut from @alpinegreenneon. I think it might be too worn out on the slider eye. I am thinking of getting a replacement from the local junkyard but Im not sure what I need to remove to access the entire cable. Has anybody removed one before and if so how did you do it? I can see the ground nut on the fender but Im not sure how to access the other nut that looks like it is underneath the battery tray.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
109 Posts
Don't need to do that, they sell battery post "sleeves" for that issue. Check with you local NAPA/Autozone...If I can get then here waaaaaayyyyyy up in Northern Ontario Canada you should have no problems.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't need to do that, they sell battery post "sleeves" for that issue. Check with you local NAPA/Autozone...If I can get then here waaaaaayyyyyy up in Northern Ontario Canada you should have no problems.
I already tried that. The sleeve makes it too big and the cable wont go on it. The cable end is very weak if you try to pry it open it bends.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
109 Posts
I already tried that. The sleeve makes it too big and the cable wont go on it. The cable end is very weak if you try to pry it open it bends.
Those sleeves aren't that thick., something weird going on there..... Is it possible the cable connector was squeezed together to take up the slack on the battery previously?? I know that cable end is really tough to open up, I'd be afraid of it cracking too!!

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Pretty sure the cable ends on the engine. You'll see it when you're at the junkyard.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those sleeves aren't that thick., something weird going on there..... Is it possible the cable connector was squeezed together to take up the slack on the battery previously?? I know that cable end is really tough to open up, I'd be afraid of it cracking too!!
The ones I bought from Autozone were fairly thick. The cable end goes on and off the new battery easily without the sleeve and the tightest I can get the nut the cable end still spins around if you apply hand pressure to it. I've ran the car for years with a much looser negative cable connection without issues though.

The issue is getting misfiring, I pull over to the side of the road and then I literally touch the negative ground cable and it goes away. I think I might have really bad corrosion on the engine or fender nut. Or a rat ate the wiring and is causing a short.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
109 Posts
The ones I bought from Autozone were fairly thick. The cable end goes on and off the new battery easily without the sleeve and the tightest I can get the nut the cable end still spins around if you apply hand pressure to it. I've ran the car for years with a much looser negative cable connection without issues though.

The issue is getting misfiring, I pull over to the side of the road and then I literally touch the negative ground cable and it goes away. I think I might have really bad corrosion on the engine or fender nut. Or a rat ate the wiring and is causing a short.
That sucks, something seemingly so straight forward but not. Best of luck man, it certainly sounds to be aground issue.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Located both the ground nut locations on the negative cable. One is at the bottom of the powertrain near the driverside and the other is halfway up on the frame. The one at the bottom was completely covered in white corrosion. When I loosened the nut a bunch of white powder fell on the concrete. I cleaned it up good and re-attached everything. Fingers crossed so far no misfiring. I will do some longer mileage testing this week to see how it reacts. There was also a ground attached to the PCM that didnt look too good so I cleaned that one as well.

·
Registered
2016 GT 2.4L AT
109 Posts
Update

Located both the ground nut locations on the negative cable. One is at the bottom of the powertrain near the driverside and the other is halfway up on the frame. The one at the bottom was completely covered in white corrosion. When I loosened the nut a bunch of white powder fell on the concrete. I cleaned it up good and re-attached everything. Fingers crossed so far no misfiring. I will do some longer mileage testing this week to see how it reacts. There was also a ground attached to the PCM that didnt look too good so I cleaned that one as well.
NICE!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Hello! Thank you for posting all this info. I’m in the beginning stages of getting my ‘14 Dart SXT up and running again. Sometime over my weekend, I’m gonna rip out the negative battery cable and see what I can do about finding a replacement. I found a diagram of what the entire cable looks like and was wondering if I can replace the top portion (Negative Battery Post to the frame) or is it a whole cable?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
You don't want to be splicing parts of the cable. Get the whole cable.
Wood Reptile Scaled reptile Snake Hardwood

Reactions: Ghoward2009

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gotcha. My buddy was thinking we could get the part from O’Reilly but I’ll call around to different junk yards today and find out if they have it

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
You should look online at self serve junk yards like LKQ Pick your Part or Row52. They list their inventories. The yards that don't let you in the yard will be expensive. Dealer part number is 68259481AA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts