Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a '16 GT, I live in Michigan and i'm looking for something that doesn't have as much road noise, and is good in the winter. Maybe also suggestion on summer tires, not sure if I want to swap for summer or not yet. Could use some ideas for tires, also saw Mopar wheels at the Detroit International auto show that I was thinking about putting on and preserve my hyper blacks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Putting on the mopar wheels would be an expensive way to preserve your hyper blacks. And depending how much snow you normally get i would probably go with two set, one for winter and one for the other seasons.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I live in SE Michigan. The OEM tires on the GT are horrible in the snow. Anything will be better. I went with General GMAX AS-05 all season tires and I can't complain. So far its a huge improvement in snow, dry grip is excellent, and wet grip is pretty good. For $100 a tire, it's hard to beat.

Depending on what part of Michigan you live in, snow tires might be a more appropriate choice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For an all season tire, I got Kenda Kaiser KR-20's on the front and they have been phenomenal. And cheap AF too! Sad thing is now I have to replace the back tires.. The stupid Yokohamas on the back are now withering away... A couple of months ago when I purchased the Kenda's for the front, the rear Yokos looked fine. These tires are trash man.. You won't regret changing them even if you got the Walmart crap special tires..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for you insight. I was planning on changing all 4 when I get my taxes. Definitely can't wait to get rid of the OEMs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The previous owner did not rotate at all sadly. Probably going to rotate for this last month. Idk if the dart is any different, but you still rotate them passenger back to driver front and vice versa? I'm in G.R. btw

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
The previous owner did not rotate at all sadly. Probably going to rotate for this last month. Idk if the dart is any different, but you still rotate them passenger back to driver front and vice versa? I'm in G.R. btw
That goes for nearly all regular vehicles that don't have some odd engineering. Front to back/back to front.
Choosing tires can be an exhausting experience if you want to check all the boxes and not wind up with a separate set for winter/summer. Many promises made by manufacturer and reviews. Reality is usually a whole other game. List of excuses and possibly realities for tires not wearing properly : Alignment out. (even after 100 miles..lol) Suspension parts wearing out- rebuild entire suspension. Which might not last ...lol. And the closes to reality that I've ever experienced ? Go with Michelin's premium grade tires for all the boring sedans made the world over. Best blend between all season reliability, even wearing even on worn suspensions, and usually quiet while being resistant to "rotation wumping" . Wumping is my word for what always happens when you rotate Good Year tires. They have a special blend of cheap rubber that is guaranteed to not want to be rotated. Unless you like to hear a constant droning bass line to go with your stereo listening ...."wump wump wump wump wa wa wa wa waaaaaaaaa wa wa wa wa wump wump wump wump".
It's maddening . Even with considerable tire wear left!
Buy Michelins. Primacy is a good set. But pricey. But quiet. And good grip in all seasons. They just don't look like all the squared off cool looking tires like the Good Year Eagles I had. It's worth the trade-off tho....
FCA currently uses the Mich Primacy's on the lower trim V6 Chally's. Again, boring as an asphalt driveway to look at but the quality is there. Mercedes and Lexus has been known to use them because of the quiet and handling factor. They're also much higher speed rated than most competitors that claim to be sport oriented.
Other than that advice, I say replace whatever the dealer says looks worn or questionable. Most suspensions that are driven in the cold, beat-up highways like I live (NE Pa.) are only good for about 40K miles.
Or, you could just tear your hair out chasing tire problems for many miles.
God, I love cars. And tires. :serious:

video is old but tire still made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire advice for the masses

I have a 14 SXT Rallye. (Rallye package has GT suspension bits with 17 inch wheels, I think GTs have 18s.) The cum ho s that were OEM are loud and wear like granite (and are about as sticky). I am planning on a set of Continental Contacts or Pirelli P7s 235/45-17 for use in a place where it does not snow. That is one size larger than the OEMs on 17 inch wheels.

BITD, I owned a Scirocco. I bought a pair of steel rims and mounted winter treads on them. Had winter treads only on the front. The car was a blast to drive in the snow.

OBTW, if you do decide to go to steel rims for winter tires, they will need different bolts. The steel rim wheel centers are a lot thinner than the alloy wheels are. The alloy wheel bolts will go through the hub and may foul the caliper if used with steel wheels. OEM wheel and tire packages have almost the same rolling circumference, so it doesn't matter what you go with. As wheel diameter increases, sidewall height decreases, that's how Mopar makes it work. Make any changes in tire sizes in pairs if you can't swing four.

One last thing about bringing in a wheel from non-OEM sources. The fwd Darts use a 5X110 bolt pattern. The only other car that uses that bolt pattern is the last generation of the Chrysler 200. That's what I am using to mount a full size spare, and a Caravan jack, for tire changes on the road.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a 14 SXT Rallye. (Rallye package has GT suspension bits with 17 inch wheels, I think GTs have 18s.)

OBTW, if you do decide to go to steel rims for winter tires, they will need different bolts. The steel rim wheel centers are a lot thinner than the alloy wheels are. The alloy wheel bolts will go through the hub and may foul the caliper if used with steel wheels.
these two things are wrong. the rallye package is positioned between the regular darts and the gt, it's not as stiff. Also for the steel wheels the bolts are different to be able to hold on the wheel covers without breaking. I know this because i did my research and ran oem steel wheels with stock bolts that came off of my gt

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered these radials from Amazon.. I love them I just keep ordering them everytime a tire goes. But I have tourens on as rims and the delente dh7 tires 225/40 r18 92w lx .. they are all season and $65.00 best part u dont have to go looking in a yard cause it comes to ur house ..

·
Registered
23 Posts
To me, this makes the most sense and gives you the least chance of running into any issues if you're going the summer/winter setup. I'd think that the winter would be hell on wheels, what with road salt or sand or whatever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: went to discount tire and got some cheapies to last me though the winter and summer. Going to get new rims and separate summer/winter tires next year. I'm not going have the budget for them this year like I had originally thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with sentry UHP. For 57 a tire and all in for about 350 having them set and all that. I felt like I couldn't go to wrong and they were saying the tires were all right in the snow. I think I'm going to get an alignment Monday for it just to be safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts