Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First off, I need a new clutch not transmission. Can't figure out how to change the title.

So I bought my 2014 Dodge Dart GT w/ Manual Transmission last March with approximately 18000 miles. After putting on 13000 miles over a period of one year my clutch is "burnt out," according to my local Dodge Dealership. I noticed something was weird the other night when I was on the freeway in sixth gear and the RPMs began to rise from about 2500 to 5000 RPMs. At the same time I noticed a burning smell. Haven't experienced that since however now every time I shift I get a sort of lag where the RPMs are relatively higher than they should be for a moment, then they drop down to lower RPMs where they should be. After the technician drove it for a few minutes he concluded I need a new clutch. I'm going tomorrow to a local transmission shop to get a second opinion because I have a hard time accepting that my clutch is burnt out at 31000 miles. Especially because the warranty only covers 12000 miles and it will cost me atleast $1600 for the clutch and a few other parts. Anyone else have a similar issue with their Dart?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
you might have a case if you talk to a dealer about the recent TSB issued for the failing master cylinders. if your master cylinder and hose are bad, then you could argue that it burnt out your clutch. hope you can try and get it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well you bought it used so you have no idea what the previous driver did to it. It's possible they flogged the hell out of it or perhaps was a new manual trans driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the clutch is burnt out. I'm gonna do just that and try to argue the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The title for this thread is incredibly misleading. A worn clutch does not equal needing a new trans. Clickbait. I would suggest changing it to something more descriptive of the actual issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The title for this thread is incredibly misleading. A worn clutch does not equal needing a new trans. Clickbait. I would suggest changing it to something more descriptive of the actual issue.
I tried couldn't figure it out. I'll see if i can figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
I tried couldn't figure it out. I'll see if i can figure it out.
Did you make a similar post on facebook? I recall seeing something like this. The DDCT transmission, along with the clutches should be covered under the 10 year, 100k mile warranty. Used car doesn't effect that. It is a manufacturer warranty that doesn't end after traded in or anything.

But if you didn't post it on facebook, someone ask the same thing, and I believe it was stated in another post (on here, the forums) that @dodge Cares CA (don't remember if that is the right tag) said something like the clutches in the DDCT are also covered under the 100k warranty. Which makes sense. Your traditional transmission would be covered under the 100k warranty. This DDCT is an automated manual. You cannot drop the clutch, or partially ride with the clutch in. On your own. It's all computer controlled. If something inside that trans fails, and you had minimal mods (an exhaust for example) then you can not be at fault for the internal damage to your transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
you might have a case if you talk to a dealer about the recent TSB issued for the failing master cylinders. if your master cylinder and hose are bad, then you could argue that it burnt out your clutch. hope you can try and get it covered under warranty.
While it doesn't hurt to try (although the OP never mentioned any problems that might relate to the master cylinder), to date that strategy has had a 0% success rate for cars outside the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty covering the clutch itself. At 31K and with the car being used, I can't see any dealer or FCA caring even a little bit. When you buy a used vehicle, it's something of a crap shoot. You might end up with a great good-as-new car at a discounted price, but then again, you could get a car whose previous owner rode the clutch for every single one of those 18,000 miles.

I think the OP misunderstood his issue when he first created the thread, and did not intentionally mislead anybody, as he made an attempt to clarify it. It is impossible for us users to modify the titles of threads we create, but moderators can do so, and I have "reported" the first post with a request that they change it.

Did you make a similar post on facebook? I recall seeing something like this. The DDCT transmission, along with the clutches should be covered under the 10 year, 100k mile warranty. Used car doesn't effect that. It is a manufacturer warranty that doesn't end after traded in or anything.

But if you didn't post it on facebook, someone ask the same thing, and I believe it was stated in another post (on here, the forums) that @dodge Cares CA (don't remember if that is the right tag) said something like the clutches in the DDCT are also covered under the 100k warranty. Which makes sense. Your traditional transmission would be covered under the 100k warranty. This DDCT is an automated manual. You cannot drop the clutch, or partially ride with the clutch in. On your own. It's all computer controlled. If something inside that trans fails, and you had minimal mods (an exhaust for example) then you can not be at fault for the internal damage to your transmission.
The OP has a manual transmission, so his clutch is only covered by the 12/12 warranty. However, you are correct, the DDCT clutch pack is covered by the powertrain warranty as it is not considered a wear item and its operation is outside the driver's control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this point I'm thinking about just doing an upgrade on the clutch rather than replacing the stock one since I am going to have to pay for this.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
The OP has a manual transmission, so his clutch is only covered by the 12/12 warranty. However, you are correct, the DDCT clutch pack is covered by the powertrain warranty as it is not considered a wear item and its operation is outside the driver's control.
Whoops, there was a post on FB with almost the same mileage and talking about replacing a clutch, but it was the DDCT. I probably should have read closer lol

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
At this point I'm thinking about just doing an upgrade on the clutch rather than replacing the stock one since I am going to have to pay for this.
this is your best course of action. install a quality aftermarket clutch that you can feel confident about, for the next 100k miles plus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts