Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through all the threads on the forum and have found some recommendations, but I wanted to see if I could get everyone's opinion on one comprehensive thread.

I have a 2015 Dart GT, so the 225/40R18 tires. I still have the stock Yokohama AVID S34NV tires on it, and I'm approaching 25k miles. I mainly do highway driving, but the tread life is nearing it's end.
I understand that most aren't very high on this tire, and I'm not really either.

I'm looking for a tire that will last just as long, if not longer. Also thinking about reducing road noise from the tires as well. The stock tire has a 320 treadwear, and is Traction and Temperature A.

I'd like a tire that has better handling and grip, but I don't want to deal with getting summer/winter tires. I want to just have one set of tires for the car (all season tires).

Also, please let me know good places to search for tires and what you guys paid for yours if possible.

Thank you

·
Registered
874 Posts
I recently replaced my tires - I searched through the websites for the local stores and went with Discount Tire - I good a really good price on the General GMax AS-05's for which I saw really good reviews. I was able to negotiate blow-out insurance for all 4 tires for next to nothing and they provide free lifetime tire roatations. I'm happy with the ride and performance of these tires and have had the chance to drive in the snow and rain since having them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
kenda kaiser kr 20 225/40r18

You wont find them in stock most places but they are a pretty awesome tire. I have had two of them in the front door the past I think around 15000 miles and I love them. Got 2 other tires on the back. Can't remember what they are but at the time I needed them, there were not 2 of the kendas in stock.

They are a favorite low cost tire in the drifting community, but make no mistake they grip amazing compared to the crappy avids. I have a review thread somewhere on them. You can order through Walmart or anywhere really and you will pay between $80-$100 a tire but can usually find discounts. Only thing is it doesn't snow where I am so can't vouche for snow performance but heavy rain performance is great.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for that info, and that site. I've been looking through it. Anyone else out there get all-season tires?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have some all season tires which were put on last December. I went with the tallest ones I could find that still cleared everything. Had them done by Discount Tire for $400. I took the car out on the freeway after a 6" snowfall and they held the road nicely.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Most brand tires are pretty good in the short term. Personally, I cannot tolerate the noise that eventually comes with the internal shortcuts that a majority of brands make in order to keep cost down. Or, in the case of Goodyear, cutting corners on the internals just to make more profit. Out of principle I would buy any brand except Goodyear for that reason. Because I don't like road noise tires half way through treadlife.

·
Registered
360 Posts
These are the tires on having installed today.
Reviews looked good and some other Dart owners recomended them. I had a set of Achillies on my grand cherokee and the did well.
I drive 100 miles a day, so I didn't want a summer only tire. I had them shipped right to my mechanic.

https://www.simpletire.com/achilles-225-40zr18-mab224018-tires
Im rolling with these Achilles 235/40/18s and so far so good. Theres less road noise then the crap i had before and i dont accidentally peel out anywhere near as often which is a plus.
One thing i will say though is that wet performance is pretty dang good with these tires! I took a corner onto an onramp doing 35 the other day and didnt even feel like it was anywhere near giving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They did well on the way home. Definitely less noise then what I had on before. I'll have a better idea after the round trip to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going from the stock Yok’s to BFG A/S Comp-2 tires was the best thing I ever did on my Dart SE. I can go over mild bumps without wanting to immediately pull over and check the darn alignment. They look REAL good too!!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I've been wearing Continental ExtremeContact rubber since the first change, and have Michelin's X-Ice for winter on steel rims. Combo seems great for me, but rubber only does so much on really bad & bumpy roads lol. I've been through three winters on the Michelins (and plan on getting new ones this upcoming winter), but generally the Continentals last me a little over a spring to fall period, so maybe 20k miles with my 70-mile/day commute. But I'm a pretty aggressive driver in the corners though, so keep that in mind. I get my rubber at tirerack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LIke SmokyOwl, I like the Continental's. I'm on my second set of the Control Contact Sport A/S's. I went way over the mileage on the original Continental's, so that's where I started as far as brand goes. I then found that the Continentals were on par with Michelan's sport A/S. Michelan's being more expensive and already knowing the Continental's far exceed the mileage, I went with them. I got 81,331 miles on the first set of the Control Contact Sport A/S's, the Discount Tire rep was rather shocked. I do drive a lot of highway miles, so that may have something to do with it. If interested - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-sport-a-s/p/19193

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are the tires on having installed today.
Reviews looked good and some other Dart owners recomended them. I had a set of Achillies on my grand cherokee and the did well.
I drive 100 miles a day, so I didn't want a summer only tire. I had them shipped right to my mechanic.

https://www.simpletire.com/achilles-225-40zr18-mab224018-tires
Those are still all season tires even though they're performance? I guess they're performance all season tires?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you guys do anything to your TPMS when you are getting new tires? Does the sensor get changed? Or do you just change the battery? The ones in my car are the originals and are coming up on 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Do you guys do anything to your TPMS when you are getting new tires? Does the sensor get changed? Or do you just change the battery? The ones in my car are the originals and are coming up on 4 years old.
I still have the original sensor in my 2013, they're over 6 years old and still work fine. I'm on my 3rd set of tires on my 18" rims.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
If you think you are going to keep your Dart for a long time and like having the sensors:

68193587AC valve stems (if you just want to replace the rubber valve stem)
68399030AA sensor

Pretty sure the sensor part number includes the valve stem. The batteries are not replaceable.

If you never want to worry about the sensors, you can disable the system with alfaOBD.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Those are still all season tires even though they're performance? I guess they're performance all season tires?
To answer this old question you posted, no those are not all season at all. Those are touring tires he posted.

Technically the tires I bought are ultra high performance all-seasons. So far they have held up great in high speed turns, minimal tire wear, and did excellent in the Michigan snow last winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl-mXnbXB4gIVgYbACh3gMAbDEAAYASAAEgKjXPD_BwE&tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-05&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIl-mXnbXB4gIVgYbACh3gMAbDEAAYASAAEgKjXPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!304470776793!b!!g!!&affiliate=HM5

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
To answer this old question you posted, no those are not all season at all. Those are touring tires he posted.

Technically the tires I bought are ultra high performance all-seasons. So far they have held up great in high speed turns, minimal tire wear, and did excellent in the Michigan snow last winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl-mXnbXB4gIVgYbACh3gMAbDEAAYASAAEgKjXPD_BwE&tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-05&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIl-mXnbXB4gIVgYbACh3gMAbDEAAYASAAEgKjXPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!304470776793!b!!g!!&affiliate=HM5
Another good tire in the ultra-high-performance all-season class is the BFGoodrich g-Force comp-2 A/S. I'm on my second set. They have fantastic dry grip, unbelievable wet grip, and they're as good in the winter as any all-season tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts