Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a short throw shifter and new shift knob, I cannot figure out how to remove the reverse ring to completely uninstall the bottom of the shift knob :(
2016 Dart GT manual transmission.
Currently sitting in my car frustrated with my center console in a million pieces. If anyone can point me to a video that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
3,390 Posts
21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Removal

REMOVAL

NOTE: The upper hemisphere of the gearshift knob is fastened to the lower hemisphere with polyurethane adhesive. The upper hemisphere must be destroyed to remove it.

1.•Using a 15 mm (5/8 in.) hole saw or drill bit, drill a hole (3) in the crown of the upper hemisphere of the gear shift knob (1) to gain access to an internal nut (2).
•Alternate method: Using Channel-lock™ pliers, fracture the upper hemisphere and separate it from the gear shift knob lower hemisphere.

dartgearshiftknob1.jpg

2.Using a suitable vacuum cleaner or regulated 3.4 kPa (50 psi) shop air, clean the access hole of debris.

3.Remove nut (2) holding the gear shift knob to the gear shift lever.

4.Separate the gear shift knob from the gear shift lever.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Installation

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The service replacement package should contain a small tube of adhesive.

1.Align the flat guide surface inside the center pass through hole in the lower hemisphere with the flat on the gearshift lever and push down until the gearshift knob seats.

2.Install the nut (1) to hold the gearshift knob (2) to the gearshift lever.

dartgearshiftknob2.jpg

3.Apply 6 mm (1/4 in.) daubs of adhesive in three locations (2) next to the elongated slots on the lower gear shift knob (1).

dartgearshiftknob3.jpg

4.Align the longest lock-tab on the upper hemisphere (1) to the longest slot on the lower hemisphere (2).

5.Push the upper hemisphere (1) downward until it locks in place.

dartgearshiftknob4.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're a life saver thank you so much! It turns out they put a ton of adhesive on both hemispheres... Good thing I bought a new knob too. Completely destroyed my stock one trying to get passed the glue...

·
Registered
242 Posts
i thought you need to get the reverse lock out removed? the shift knob was easy for me...pics of the removal of the reverse collar please? i ordered the short shifter as well and would like to see details

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought you need to get the reverse lock out removed? the shift knob was easy for me...pics of the removal of the reverse collar please? i ordered the short shifter as well and would like to see details
My shifter was glued to the stalk, probably the only reason I had hell with it.
As for the reverse collar removal, I removed the O-Ring first, then I straightened out a paper clip and cut it into 4 prices. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry the 4 "lips" away from the bevel in the stalk. After that I gave it a good tug and it slipped right off. I don't have pictures right now, but I did forget to install my shift let bushings while I was in so I'll take some while I'm back in there unless you get it straightened out by then.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My shifter was glued to the stalk, probably the only reason I had hell with it.
As for the reverse collar removal, I removed the O-Ring first, then I straightened out a paper clip and cut it into 4 prices. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry the 4 "lips" away from the bevel in the stalk. After that I gave it a good tug and it slipped right off. I don't have pictures right now, but I did forget to install my shift let bushings while I was in so I'll take some while I'm back in there unless you get it straightened out by then.

Shifter bushings*

·
Registered
2 Posts
21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Removal

REMOVAL

NOTE: The upper hemisphere of the gearshift knob is fastened to the lower hemisphere with polyurethane adhesive. The upper hemisphere must be destroyed to remove it.

1.•Using a 15 mm (5/8 in.) hole saw or drill bit, drill a hole (3) in the crown of the upper hemisphere of the gear shift knob (1) to gain access to an internal nut (2).
•Alternate method: Using Channel-lock™ pliers, fracture the upper hemisphere and separate it from the gear shift knob lower hemisphere.

View attachment 90841

2.Using a suitable vacuum cleaner or regulated 3.4 kPa (50 psi) shop air, clean the access hole of debris.

3.Remove nut (2) holding the gear shift knob to the gear shift lever.

4.Separate the gear shift knob from the gear shift lever.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Manual, C635 / KNOB, Gearshift / Installation

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The service replacement package should contain a small tube of adhesive.

1.Align the flat guide surface inside the center pass through hole in the lower hemisphere with the flat on the gearshift lever and push down until the gearshift knob seats.

2.Install the nut (1) to hold the gearshift knob (2) to the gearshift lever.

View attachment 90849

3.Apply 6 mm (1/4 in.) daubs of adhesive in three locations (2) next to the elongated slots on the lower gear shift knob (1).

View attachment 90857

4.Align the longest lock-tab on the upper hemisphere (1) to the longest slot on the lower hemisphere (2).

5.Push the upper hemisphere (1) downward until it locks in place.

View attachment 90865
I don't have that 10mm bolt, 2015 SXT 2.4 Manual. Any ideas on how I can get that knob off? dart1.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts