Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to repairing my front lip as i saw @Mass_Paul used another method where i figured i would post mine..I didnt want to jack his thread so here goes!

This is what i used:
Dip.jpg

This is the damage that needed to be repaired:
damage.jpg
damage2.jpg

Of it drying...You should see pretty clearly where i stopped spraying:
drying.jpg

And the final result:
angle.jpg
deadon.jpg

The last time i did this there was absolutely no difference in color using this exact can (hence the rust...), but after a few days it looks like nothing ever happened. I should have sanded this down, but i could not find my sandpaper sheets so i just winged it....

Note to anyone spraying for the first time: If youre not accurate and/or you decide to create a pattern such as my stripes do NOT use advertisements as cover on white paint - it will bleed through when moist!!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I finally got around to repairing my front lip as i saw @Mass_Paul used another method where i figured i would post mine..I didnt want to jack his thread so here goes!

This is what i used:
View attachment 113480

View attachment 113482
View attachment 113484

View attachment 113486

And the final result:
View attachment 113488
View attachment 113490

The last time i did this there was absolutely no difference in color using this exact can (hence the rust...), but after a few days it looks like nothing ever happened. I should have sanded this down, but i could not find my sandpaper sheets so i just winged it....

Note to anyone spraying for the first time: If youre not accurate and/or you decide to create a pattern such as my stripes do NOT use advertisements as cover on white paint - it will bleed through when moist!!!
Nice job. No problem with the Flexidip separating from the taped/papered areas?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I had issues with it separating using 3m tape before, but in this case I sprayed heavy on the bad areas and light near the tape so no issue.

For my stripes I used electrical tape for the edging with masking tape to grip my paper! Worked quite well, BUT it left yellow tape residue where the elecical tape was. I couldn't help but feel that if I had done it on a cool day that residue wouldn't have stayed back but haven't tested it. I got that off by sticking the residue to more electrical tape and peeling it off slowly where I'll admit I spent more time on the residue then the entire job including measurements...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Actually I had issues with it separating using 3m tape before, but in this case I sprayed heavy on the bad areas and light near the tape so no issue.

For my stripes I used electrical tape for the edging with masking tape to grip my paper! Worked quite well, BUT it left yellow tape residue where the elecical tape was. I couldn't help but feel that if I had done it on a cool day that residue wouldn't have stayed back but haven't tested it. I got that off by sticking the residue to more electrical tape and peeling it off slowly where I'll admit I spent more time on the residue then the entire job including measurements...
Also, is that the Mopar Hood or the MPx GTS tribute?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

This is what i used:
View attachment 113480

View attachment 113482
View attachment 113484

View attachment 113486

And the final result:
View attachment 113488
View attachment 113490

Hey, how is the flexidip holding up on your front splitter? My driver side skirt is looking terrible and am considering removing front splitter and side skirts to paint.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its actually holding up perfectly! You don't need to remove anything if you're really careful with your tape/paint and it comes right off if you do mess up for any reason.

Now the same cannot be said for my front end and hood...i have little white patches where rocks seem to have chewed them both up. The messed up part is that my hood hasnt been black for that long as is apparent above. This taken after "washing" the car the other day in the driveway...still a little wet but you get the jist:
IMG_20190315_182952.jpg

Edit: Rinsing the car off...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait, so all you have to do is apply it to the plastic? My chin splitter is looking terrible after four years of abuse and I was convinced I'd just have to buy a new one eventually.
That depends on how bad it is! You're not going to be filling out any missing pieces with paint, but to get rid of scratches this little can of joy did quite a bit. It actually still looks perfect almost brand new.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks... it's mostly just scrapes and scratches from snow and very high-curb driveways (I'm from the south and am currently in grad school in the north, facing weather I've never had to drive in previously). There are some bends, but I bent them back. The heavy cuts, I figure are gone forever.

But if I can get the look back to the stock color, that'd be nice. I had some stuff from an Autozone that was supposed to restore black plastic, but it seemed to fade a week after application. I'll give this a shot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks... it's mostly just scrapes and scratches from snow and very high-curb driveways (I'm from the south and am currently in grad school in the north, facing weather I've never had to drive in previously). There are some bends, but I bent them back. The heavy cuts, I figure are gone forever.

But if I can get the look back to the stock color, that'd be nice. I had some stuff from an Autozone that was supposed to restore black plastic, but it seemed to fade a week after application. I'll give this a shot. Thanks again.
I'd like to point out it looks a little darker then stock at first but give it a few days, maybe a wash and it should match perfectly.
Black Plastidip is a little lighter in my experience so if you aren't satisfied try that afterwords...maybe sand a bit off with 1000grit beforehand if you decide to redo it.

Flexidip is actually hard to get off even if it's been on for years....removing my stripes was not fun and ultimately required chemicals....

·
Registered
650 Posts

This is what i used:
View attachment 113480

View attachment 113482
View attachment 113484

View attachment 113486

And the final result:
View attachment 113488
View attachment 113490

I've been thinking about wrapping my splitter and side skirts with adhesive carbon fiber tape. Anyone do this yet? It would match my trunk spoiler.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
650 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
JonsGT
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing