Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone on the Dart Forum (hello and thank you in advance for anyone's help), I'm new to the group and this is my first post. I own a 2013 Dart Limited, 1.4L MulitAir Turbo, Sadly Automatic (long story) and it's been nothing but problems since I bought it and yet it's still a really nice car if and when it works properly. I have just over 161,000 kms on it and counting (daily driver and winter driven).

So where do I begin, my current/ongoing issue is that my Check Engine Light is on (has been for awhile now), P0300 (Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected) Code when read couple days ago, as well as code P0299 (Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost). Current symptoms are: rough/low idle when in drive and stopped, sluggish around 3500 rpm to 5000 rpm (it's like it's sputtering or something), can't make it over 100 km/h most of the time, just such lack of power and overall unhappiness, it's hurting for sure. I've already done the following:

- all brand new spark plugs

- brand new coil on misfiring cylinder (one), swapped coils to see if the issue would move and it didn't, doubt it was the coil, unless it could be wires to the coil but it doesn't seem to be I hope

- cleaned air intake filter and even ran (only for a few minutes) with the hose to the intake box off, still ran rough and had enough suction

- checked the cat, it had broken pieces inside, so fixed that and it's well opened up so nothing can clog it now, muahahahaha (it's slightly louder now, good and bad)

- took of the sensor that controls how much fuel is needed, can't remember what it's called currently but that didn't do much of anything except for the bad fuel mileage, so I'm leaning towards not a fuel problem? May need to still check the inline fuel filter, trying to avoid checking the injectors/fuel rail, that seems like a pain to get to and work on

Anyways, I think I'm done my car rant for now. Thanks again for anyone's help. I hope we can figure something out.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
Do a compression test.

Reactions: XR4Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello alpinegreenneon, thank you for your reply. Compression test was done also and it had excellent compression, even was able to run on just one cylinder (that's how good the compression was). Still unsure what it could be. I'm feeling it could be something electrical (generalize problem I know), like one of the modules or a sensor of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
It should be possible to swap injectors to see if the misfire follows. If that goes no where, look at the MultiAir brick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
so ... just to tell you my story .. I kept having cylinder misfire on #2. Changed coil packs, and like you moved a coil pack from cylinder 1 which never misfired .. no issue with the coil pack, though my problem seemed to be exacerbated by changes in temperature and humidity.

Always after fiddling with the wires to coil pack 2 I'd have no misfires for a short while .. days to weeks.. then it would return .. stupidly out of warranty took it to the dealship where I bought it .. they said "oh has to be the connector" 150 dollars later .. and like woudl happen when I disconnect/reconnect the coilpack .. the misfire started again ..

I look the part up they replaced.. it has 18 inch leads.. and what did the local f*tards do when I said replace as far back as the lead will go? no lie.. 1.75 inches of the 18 inch lead was used. I was pissed.

They did it again .. no charge this time (I had bought the part on line for like 12 or 15 bucks from an OEM dealership in NJ) and this time they replaced it back to within 1 inch of the wiring harness .. so maybe 6 inches of the 18 inch leads? ..

problem came back .. did usuals .. replaced plugs and packs (oh you have to replace all 4 at once cause a bad coil in one will drag the others with it -- more dealership bullsh8t) and then I started working from home .. (last year .. not covid related) and drove the dart very little ... then on an important trip started having over heating .. severe .. unless I kept the engine in the 3k or higher RPM ...

back home .. take it to two different dealerships .. each telling me that the multi-air system is f**ked and oh yeah.. the turbo is gone (again .. this would be #4 if done ... #1 was under warranty, #2 was out of pocket dealership markup, #3 was parts online and local mechanic replacing at roughly 1/4th the price of the dealership) ...

At that point I was livid .. it was all I could do not to take a rifle to it .. and I'm only at 160,000 miles.

Instead I went on line ... started looking at replacement engines .. the dealerships were quoting me 3800 to 4500 to just replace the multi-air and turbo ... found a "used" engine from a dart that had 7000 miles (confirmed via carfax, car had slid into a fence and was totaled) .. for 1600 dollars (200 dollar fedex/sub-carrier freight).

Engine came complete with turbo, tested/startup running etc.., brought to my local mechanic.. 600 to install .. oh plus he saw the clutch was worn enough that recommended replacing .. no extra charge I brought the parts to him .. and for 2500 dollars, parts and labor, I've got a dart that seems to work like I would have expected my original one to...

From the 6month mark of my 2013 Dart (6/2013) I've had nothing but problems with the engine .. with the clutch dropping to floor at 72000 miles, the plugs and coil packs .... everything ... to now .. its been october last year? or so .. and to date .. with this "used" engine .. I've not had a single coil pack or spark plug issue, nor any of the p0300 turbo codes..

you pay 20 grand for a car .. you expect something ... figure I bought my 2000 Plymouth Neon and ran it for over 360,000 miles before replacing with the Dart in Dec 2012 .. I really thought I'd pick another good thing.. and boy was I wrong..

if I had it to do all over again .. if I knew the troubles this dart would bring me in less than 1 year of ownership (back then) .. yeah.. never ... never again .. the level of disgust I have for Dodge, Chyrsler, Plymouth, Fiat ... I'd love to have a remote controlled bulldozer and just level every dodge dealership I see.. that much hatred for them now ... (oh, also had a 2004 Jeep Liberty .. another piece of sh*t from day one)

Anyway .. good luck .. you'll probably need it.

PS / Edit:
would recommend finding a good local mechanic, if your dealership is anything like those I have in my area .. a non-dodge ASE Certified Mechanic .. good ones are worth their weight in gold. The only added thing I've done is purchased the Tech Authority 2013 Dodge Dart Service Manual (on usb) so that I and the Mechanic can get details when needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be possible to swap injectors to see if the misfire follows. If that goes no where, look at the MultiAir brick.
Thanks again for the advice, I'll check the injectors and like suggested if that goes no where, I'll switch my attention to the MultiAir brick. Did a little research and it's not a cheap fix if that turns out not to be the issue. I wish these "high tech" cars, gave a better diagnostic reading/error to help their owners trouble should issues better.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
What reader/app are you using to read codes. There could be pending codes that your reader is not seeing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had both of those issues. I had to replace every coil pack to get rid of that issue and the low boost was later for me but there was a tear in the cold side elbow that went into the throttle body.

·
Registered
548 Posts
k of the sensor that controls how much fuel is needed, can't remember what it's called currently but that didn't do much of anything except for the bad fuel mileage, so I'm leaning towards not a fuel problem? May need to still check the inline fuel filter, trying to avoid checking the injectors/fuel rail, that seems like a pain to get to and work on
I mean the way it sounds, you might have an intake or exhaust leak causing this issue. Didn't seem like anyone else threw it out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts