Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea if anyone has experienced this, but at a little over 43,000 miles my 2014 Dodge Dart GT 2.4L's clutch exploded. I was in 6th gear on the high way and my clutch hits the floor and all i smell is clutch burning. I haven't had any slippage, no signs of gears crunching or anything indicating that my clutch was going out. I just want to know if others have experienced this. A little background i have driven a standard for a little over nine to ten years now and have never burnt out a clutch before, this is also my day to day car, no mods or aftermarkets on it.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I did read a few years back about somebody's clutch failing and it was covered under warranty, but it had less than 10k miles. The thing was completely shredded. I don't recall his engine though. Have you been trying to do burnouts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no idea if anyone has experienced this, but at a little over 43,000 miles my 2014 Dodge Dart GT 2.4L's clutch exploded. I was in 6th gear on the high way and my clutch hits the floor and all i smell is clutch burning. I haven't had any slippage, no signs of gears crunching or anything indicating that my clutch was going out. I just want to know if others have experienced this. A little background i have driven a standard for a little over nine to ten years now and have never burnt out a clutch before, this is also my day to day car, no mods or aftermarkets on it.
my sister in San Antonio had the same thing happen she was driving on the interstate except her clutch exploded it blew holes in the transmission and the radiator it was under the 5-year and Dodge refuses to do anything about it as far as warranty is concerned she even paid for an extended warranty and they won't cover it either to the company take care of yours or did he leave you on your own?

·
Registered
4 Posts
when she did a Carfax on it she traced the car from the car dealer back to an auction she's starting to think maybe it was a flood car from Houston

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
my sister in San Antonio had the same thing happen she was driving on the interstate except her clutch exploded it blew holes in the transmission and the radiator it was under the 5-year and Dodge refuses to do anything about it as far as warranty is concerned she even paid for an extended warranty and they won't cover it either to the company take care of yours or did he leave you on your own?
The clutch, which is considered a wear part, has a special 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first. It's an industry standard. Damage to other parts caused by a non-warranty failure also won't be covered by warranty. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever successfully gotten Dodge to replace a Dart clutch under warranty outside of the 12 month/12K period. As for the "extended warranty", that's actually a service contract rather than a warranty, and what is and is not covered will be listed in the contract. I wouldn't expect a manual clutch to be covered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sister bought the car less than a year ago still owes about nine grand on it even at used prices clutch transmission radiator she's going to be way under water on this car. she moved to San Antonio two years ago doesn't really know any mechanics and again the dealer wants 9800 to repair it. If I was down there I could do it myself but I can't haul all the tools and go rebuild that car in her garage. the only upside is in a city the size of San Antonio there are probably plenty of parts there I don't know if I would ever trust the car again though. Thank you for your information.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
My sister bought the car less than a year ago still owes about nine grand on it even at used prices clutch transmission radiator she's going to be way under water on this car. she moved to San Antonio two years ago doesn't really know any mechanics and again the dealer wants 9800 to repair it. If I was down there I could do it myself but I can't haul all the tools and go rebuild that car in her garage. the only upside is in a city the size of San Antonio there are probably plenty of parts there I don't know if I would ever trust the car again though. Thank you for your information.
If it blew holes in the trans, then yeah she will need a whole new transmission, install and all. She could probably find a used one online or from a junk yard (that stripped it out) and go to trans shop to have it installed. Radiator shouldn't be too bad but I mean it's going to be at least a couple grand for the parts and labor for sure. Not sure 9800 sounds right though.

Unfortunately anything to do with the clutch will not be honored by anyone. It will be considered negligence by the owner if something failed and wore the clutch down to the level of exploding. My friends actually did this but it was covered as it was early on and he had a crap ton of mods on it so it was funny they still did it lol But I believe his master cylinder for the transmission was stuck engaged so clutch was out, but it was still riding the clutch. He was probably hot rodding around too and the dealer said his flywheel disk was warped entirely and was purple from the heat before the clutch exploded. Luckily didn't hurt the transmission itself.

I feel as if something like your case should be covered. It's one thing to wear down your clutch prematurely, it entirely different when it just blows up. That would probably mean there was something else going on, something else that failed, like my buddies case, that caused it to happen. But FCA is very happy these things happen. Now the Darts are out of warranty and when they issues happen, they just slap the owner with a fat bill and not many other shops are going to be able to work on it. So they know they case price gouge.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The FSM describes disassembly of the manual trans in great detail. If the clutch exploded, it is likely just the bellhousing half is what got damaged. The gear half is where the expensive stuff is at. I used to rebuild Neon manual transaxles and it was common for the bellhousing half to get damaged when the diff pin decided to leave. All that needed to be done was get another bellhousing half and figure out the correct preload shim. $9800 is ridiculous. I have seen wrecked Darts with manual transaxles at junkyards. Probably could be had for $150 or less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts