Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Turbo car; been reading up on science of turbocharging. Question: What does "multiair" refer to in our nameplate?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im sure you will get a more technical answer, but I believe it refers to the way the VVT is controlled via oil pressure on the lobes. It's sorta the Constant Variable valve timing instead of a two step system like Honda for instance

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is a video I watched awhile ago. I guess it sort of helps. I watched it twice just to make sure what I thought I got from it was right. It's hard to explain so just do your research. YouTube is a great way to learn pretty much anything now days...

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,443 Posts
Nice vid.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our Darts are based on Alfa Romeo’s Giulietta platform (did Fiat buy Alfa Romeo?) Here is a link to that car and a little bit more on the MultiAir.
Alfa Romeo

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
This is my first Turbo car; been reading up on science of turbocharging. Question: What does "multiair" refer to in our nameplate?

^ hope that explains what you're curious about :)

Our Darts are based on Alfa Romeo’s Giulietta platform (did Fiat buy Alfa Romeo?) Here is a link to that car and a little bit more on the MultiAir.
Alfa Romeo
Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, Abarth tuning, Magnetti Marrelli, and of course Fiat and Chrysler as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts

^ hope that explains what you're curious about :)

Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia, Abarth tuning, Magnetti Marrelli, and of course Fiat and Chrysler as well.
I had no idea that Fiat owned Magnetti Marrelli. Interesting.

I hope I'm not thread jacking, but I feel like the Multi-Air modes are fairly distinctive in my car, and it seems like sometimes the car gets "stuck" in the wrong mode. Has anybody else noticed this? I think it may be a contributing factor to the "throttle lag" I am on a crusade against, and also the car seems to get more confused the more I mod the car. Just thinking out loud here. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Well they're working on a "new" version for the 2.4L - which is supposed to be "multi-air 2", so we'll see.

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
I'm guessing there might be some performance mods that they are adding to 2.4 and then calling it multi-air 2 but who knows. I think our turbo, down pipe, tuning, gearing, and everything else is geared towards fuel economy. Surprisingly, I still have decent power with this tiny 1400CC motorcycle engine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think multi-air is more advanced than anything out there. Have you seen the gas mileage we are getting? Power is there too........*thumbs up*.........
What are you getting? I have been averaging 25 mpg over the last several tanks. My huge, heavy 2000 528i was averaging 22 mpg with the exact same driving style and route. Best tank on the Dart was 32 mpg average driving like a little old lady. Best tank on the BMW was 29 mpg. I don't see a 3 mpg increase over a car with twice the engine displacement and pretty much twice the size to be that technologically impressive. The BMW is far less temperamental too...never thought I'd say that about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also notice the multiair setup messing up the more mods I add. I average 33mpg daily and have got up to 42.8 average all highway. (full tanks)

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
What are you getting? I have been averaging 25 mpg over the last several tanks. My huge, heavy 2000 528i was averaging 22 mpg with the exact same driving style and route. Best tank on the Dart was 32 mpg average driving like a little old lady. Best tank on the BMW was 29 mpg. I don't see a 3 mpg increase over a car with twice the engine displacement and pretty much twice the size to be that technologically impressive. The BMW is far less temperamental too...never thought I'd say that about it.
On a daily commute to work of 20 miles at 65 mph I get 37.8 mpg. Considering the Dart 1.4T DDCT is a 7.5 sec 0-60 mph car(timed) what is there to complain about?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts