Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a misfire issue caused by a cylinder #2 VVA solenoid. It only happens cold... once the engine begins to come up to temp, it runs fine and the fail codes revert to stored. Once it sits over night, fail codes are active again and the misfire returns.
P0302: misfire-cylinder 2
P1062: CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE STUCK
P1067: CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Per the diagnostic procedure, checked the oil, it was fine. Oil pressure at cold start was around 25psi. Oil pressure once warm was around 75psi. I'm thinking that the multi-air head solenoid on cylinder 2 is beginning to fail, causing the misfire when the oil pressure is on the low side. Then when the oild begins to warm up and thin out, it is able to flow enough for the solenoid to work good enough. This leas me to believe the multi-air head is effed... it does happen to be a $1300 part so i'm looking for input. If it were any vehicle other than mine, the diagnosis would be for the head. But as the replacement appointment looms close, my wallet is beginning to pucker a little bit.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I currently have a misfire issue caused by a cylinder #2 VVA solenoid. It only happens cold... once the engine begins to come up to temp, it runs fine and the fail codes revert to stored. Once it sits over night, fail codes are active again and the misfire returns.
P0302: misfire-cylinder 2
P1062: CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE STUCK
P1067: CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Per the diagnostic procedure, checked the oil, it was fine. Oil pressure at cold start was around 25psi. Oil pressure once warm was around 75psi. I'm thinking that the multi-air head solenoid on cylinder 2 is beginning to fail, causing the misfire when the oil pressure is on the low side. Then when the oild begins to warm up and thin out, it is able to flow enough for the solenoid to work good enough. This leas me to believe the multi-air head is effed... it does happen to be a $1300 part so i'm looking for input. If it were any vehicle other than mine, the diagnosis would be for the head. But as the replacement appointment looms close, my wallet is beginning to pucker a little bit.
If I am correct, I am having the same issue and the dealership told me that the multiair actuator is covered under the full warranty. You should be good and it should be replaced for free.

Sent using a rotary phone

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm outside powertrain, mine was up Dec 2017... so unless they'll goodwill it, I'm SOL. I am an employee, in the service dpt of an DCRJ dealership so goodwill is possible. But if Chrysler kicks it back, I'd be on the hook for it.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I'm outside powertrain, mine was up Dec 2017... so unless they'll goodwill it, I'm SOL. I am an employee, in the service dpt of an DCRJ dealership so goodwill is possible. But if Chrysler kicks it back, I'd be on the hook for it.
Did I say powertrain? My b, mine is up too but for some reason they said the multiair was still covered by something. I do have a spare actuator if you want it... The only thing is yoyll have to buy the compression tool to install it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it's classified as major emissions? I'm not sure... but you didn't say powertrain, in inferred that. So, in fact, my b. But does the symptoms of mine sound similar to yours? I THINK I can goodwill the repair, but if for some reason FCA says no... I'd like to make sure that this will be the cure if I'm looking at a fast $1500.00 bill.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Maybe it's classified as major emissions? I'm not sure... but you didn't say powertrain, in inferred that. So, in fact, my b. But does the symptoms of mine sound similar to yours? I THINK I can goodwill the repair, but if for some reason FCA says no... I'd like to make sure that this will be the cure if I'm looking at a fast $1500.00 bill.
Those are literally the EXACT same symptoms that i am currently having with my car as well... I think you are pretty accurate with the description of the oil becoming more viscous allowing it to move through the actuator easier as well... I got the code a while ago for oil supply solnoid blah blah but it went away and hasnt come back... that being said I do still have the misfire code, mine is just on the 1st cylinder. Ironically enough too, every time i setup an appointment with the dealership, the code randomly shuts off and doesnt want to come back on even tho the car misfires EVERY morning.

Like I said I have a used multiair actuator sitting in my garage from a replaced dart engine... As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the actuator. This engine failed when the exhaust valve tapped the piston on cylinder 1 and 4 and broke the heads of the pistons... (I have pics if you'd be interested in seeing) but again if you cannot get the dealership to fix it for you, let me know and i can send you the actuator if you wanna try fixing it yourself! I have no use for it if they dealership says that mine is still under warranty and will be replaced for free. Mind you will need the compression tool... HEREhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Compression-Piattelli-Module-MultiAir-Turbo/dp/B06XG25G2V.

Also, HERE is another link for a step by step to replace the thing... Apparently the FIATs have this issue constantly...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, i am wondering if you guys managed to fix the problem, weather it was under warranty or not? I am having the same issue with a 14. I first had the P106B code, than today it missfired cylinder 4, and now it appeared codes P106B, P1064 and P0304. After restarting the car, it stopped misfiring and drove normally.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Hi, i am wondering if you guys managed to fix the problem, weather it was under warranty or not? I am having the same issue with a 14. I first had the P106B code, than today it missfired cylinder 4, and now it appeared codes P106B, P1064 and P0304. After restarting the car, it stopped misfiring and drove normally.
I have not gotten it fixed yet as I cannot drive my car currently due to a hip surgery I had. But it definitely sounds like you're having the same issue.

Normally after the engine warms up a bit the oil becomes more viscous and moves easier through the multiair actuator stopping the misfire and allowing the correct oil flow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What about the warranty, does anyone know if the powertrain 100k covers it? Mine is a 14 with 62k kilometres

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
What about the warranty, does anyone know if the powertrain 100k covers it? Mine is a 14 with 62k kilometres
Yes it does... But to make sure call your local dealership and explain the problems you're having... Tell them that you think and have read that the multiair actuator may need to be replaced and ask if it is covered. I did and they told me that it was... Mine is a 15 and I have 65k miles on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will try, but to be honest, i dont trust the dealerships around where I live. Last problem i had they made it look like it was something else, so i paid for the service, and then it was something else and they replaced the part under warranty, but by then i had already paid for labour and something else. Im pretty sure they are gonna ask to see the car for about 2 hours and then tell me weather it is or not u der warranty

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I will try, but to be honest, i dont trust the dealerships around where I live. Last problem i had they made it look like it was something else, so i paid for the service, and then it was something else and they replaced the part under warranty, but by then i had already paid for labour and something else. Im pretty sure they are gonna ask to see the car for about 2 hours and then tell me weather it is or not u der warranty
It may take longer than that... Last time I had mine in for this issue I had only one code saved in the computer that said I had a dying battery.

They did also ask me if they could keep it longer to really dig in and see if they could find the cause... At that point in time I couldn't be without my car since they didn't offer loaners. So I took it back and changed the battery and didn't have issues for awhile but they came back again...

Currently I am nursing myself back to health since I had hip surgery on my left hip and cannot drive my car cause of the clutch pedal...

But I do understand your reservation of going to the dealerships around you... That being said, if will have to be a Dodge dealer that does this work as only dodge or Fiat dealers can get this part and the tools necessary to work on this engine...

Try finding another dealer around you that you can try and explain you've had bad experiences with other dealers. Normally they will make the dealership wanna impress you so that you will want to come back to them for anything in the future.

Here is a video that shows how the multiair system works in the engine...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem I had was duplicating the condition while it was near a technician. There are a couple things that need to be checked in order for it to qualify as warranty. 1st, the fail codes HAVE to be active. If they aren't active, the tech cannot properly diagnose the problem. So, it would either have to be driven and left so the issue happens again when they can look at it, or it would have to be towed. Either one would keep the vehicle from warming up enough to cure the pressure issue. After that, they will check the condition of the oil. If the level and condition are acceptable, they'll test oil pressure at the sensor. If that within acceptable range, they will deem the multi-air head failing and recommend replacement. It is 100% a powertrain item. It's about a 3-4 hour replacement. Diagnosis should take less than an hour. I have seen situations where the vehicle's service was not done at a dcjr dealership and the owner was asked to provide documentation of proper services. The wrong oil weight was used and FCA denied the claim. This has nothing to do with the dealership, it was entirely the call of FCA.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
The problem I had was duplicating the condition while it was near a technician. There are a couple things that need to be checked in order for it to qualify as warranty. 1st, the fail codes HAVE to be active. If they aren't active, the tech cannot properly diagnose the problem. So, it would either have to be driven and left so the issue happens again when they can look at it, or it would have to be towed. Either one would keep the vehicle from warming up enough to cure the pressure issue. After that, they will check the condition of the oil. If the level and condition are acceptable, they'll test oil pressure at the sensor. If that within acceptable range, they will deem the multi-air head failing and recommend replacement. It is 100% a powertrain item. It's about a 3-4 hour replacement. Diagnosis should take less than an hour. I have seen situations where the vehicle's service was not done at a dcjr dealership and the owner was asked to provide documentation of proper services. The wrong oil weight was used and FCA denied the claim. This has nothing to do with the dealership, it was entirely the call of FCA.
Great comment! Did you have this done yourself?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was the the gist of the process when I recently had mine replaced. I took it and left it over night, the condition returned the next morning and the tech was able to get active fail codes. I did the initial diagnosis myself, I still have all my tools from my former life so all the tech had to do once the fail codes were confirmed was to confirm my diagnosis. After that, the MA head was replaced. I have had zero issues since.

rlara, do you know if the p106b is active or stored?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Consequently, the diagnostic procedure for a P106b is the same as p1062 and p1067. So if you can get it to a FCA shop with an active code, they should be able to perform the necessary diagnosis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even if i delete the code, it eventually shows up again. The P106b is in “permanent” when the CEL pops up, its in confirmed, pending and permanent.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Even if i delete the code, it eventually shows up again. The P106b is in “permanent” when the CEL pops up, its in confirmed, pending and permanent.
Make sure that code is active when you take the car into the dealership.

Without it they will not believe you... That's what happened to me. I took mine in and the light turned off the day before so they told me that they could not do anything until the code came back and to bring it back at that time.

You could also explain that the code only activates in the morning due to sitting overnight and everything being cold... At least thats when it happens for me. They may ask to keep it overnight which I would recommend then they could see what happens when it sits.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Make sure that code is active when you take the car into the dealership.

Without it they will not believe you... That's what happened to me. I took mine in and the light turned off the day before so they told me that they could not do anything until the code came back and to bring it back at that time.

You could also explain that the code only activates in the morning due to sitting overnight and everything being cold... At least thats when it happens for me. They may ask to keep it overnight which I would recommend then they could see what happens when it sits.

*UPDATE*

My CEL has come back on and I have been cleared by the doctor to drive my car again! I have an appointment with the dealership on Wednesday...

Hopefully they will have some good news, and I will be getting a new multiair actuator! Will advise...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts