Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Quick post before work. I got the 1.4 turbo and want to do a muffler delete. Before I start chopping and welding I wanted to make sure to do this properly. Basically all I need to do is chop the muffler off and can weld a straight pipe/y pipe or tip onto the exhaust where muffler was and that's all it is?
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That's all I did. At the single pipe before the muffler, cut it off just after the hanger there. Weld on a Y, bend pipes so they're out the regular exits, weld them on, and you're done.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using DodgeDart

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's all I did. At the single pipe before the muffler, cut it off just after the hanger there. Weld on a Y, bend pipes so they're out the regular exits, weld them on, and you're done.

I only have the single exhaust outport. Not even a hole in the fascia for exit. I cut mine off at the muffler beginning directly after the hangers. I planned on welding a small Y for a louder sound but only having it exit before the fascia and not having to drill holes. Or just weld a 3" tip to it for sound and leave it a single but just wanted to make sure I was doing this right. I did research but it's easier hearing it from someone rather than looking through 40 threads on a 30 minute lunch break. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
With only the single pipe and no cutouts in the rear fascia, you could essentially just put a turndown on it where you've already cut it off...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With only the single pipe and no cutouts in the rear fascia, you could essentially just put a turndown on it where you've already cut it off...

You mean a dump basically? A turndown tip? That's what I planned on from the getgo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Going off of this thread, so when the muffler is cut out and a y-pipe is welded in place to the inlet, does it weld up to the existing pipes that exit the vehicle or do you completely remove everything from the muffler back and have new dual pipes going out back? If that makes any sense lol, I am thinking about doing the muffler delete soon.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Going off of this thread, so when the muffler is cut out and a y-pipe is welded in place to the inlet, does it weld up to the existing pipes that exit the vehicle or do you completely remove everything from the muffler back and have new dual pipes going out back? If that makes any sense lol, I am thinking about doing the muffler delete soon.
You'll cut the muffler off just to the front side of the car. There is a hanger shortly in front of the muffler itself, cut after the hanger, before the muffler. You will now be left with a single open pipe approximately under the back seat. It sounds as if you have the dual exit fascia, the "tips" are bolted to the fascia. You now have nothing left out the back of the car. You will now need to add a "Y pipe" and then the rest of the pipe and bends to make it out the back for each side.

Hope that helps, if not, let me know, I can try to get you some pictures of mine...

·
Registered
77 Posts
You'll cut the muffler off just to the front side of the car. There is a hanger shortly in front of the muffler itself, cut after the hanger, before the muffler. You will now be left with a single open pipe approximately under the back seat. It sounds as if you have the dual exit fascia, the "tips" are bolted to the fascia. You now have nothing left out the back of the car. You will now need to add a "Y pipe" and then the rest of the pipe and bends to make it out the back for each side.

Hope that helps, if not, let me know, I can try to get you some pictures of mine...
Yes that helps! I would like to tackle this myself but I don't have any pipe bending equipment, I will go to a nearby muffler shop soon. And which size do you think is best to maintain every day drive ability? I was thinking 2.25"

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

anyone with pics?
if we are talking about 1.4T... NO need to add a Y-pipe after cutting off the muffler. adding the Y will just add another air flow restriction, and the turbo begs you to exhaust as much air as you can as fast as you can.

i already have the dual "cosmetic" look with only the single pipe exit, but i havent cut the muffler yet. someday this spring, i will ditch the suitcase muffler and drop 30 pounds. i will add a couple of resonators, either 8" and 10" or 10" and 12", and then go straight pipe back! take a look below.

dart-injen-exhaust-2.jpg

and while we are talking about 1.4T exhaust, dont overlook the downpipe. the factory downpipe is a travesty. it has a terrible 1.8" restriction. you could go a full 3 inches from turbo to tailpipe if you want a really loud exhaust, but i am going go with 2.5 inches from downpipe outlet back to tailpipe. 2.5 inches will be a ton better than stock which is 2.25 inches.

forgot to add that the pictured Injen exhaust is sold by @MPrep and the downpipe is sold by @roadrace if you have any questions

·
Registered
16 Posts
Idk if I would like the single outlet but dual tip look… are there systems out there that retain the dual exhaust exit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you haven't already done it, chop the resonator out as well while you're at it. I did just the muffler delete and it was way too raspy, especially low-end. Sounded like a tractor lol. Took it to a local muffler guy and he chopped the res, and put in straight pipe, along with a Y back to the tips again and it sounds just like an Abarth now :D It's only slightly louder than just the muffler delete but sounds MUCH cleaner and deeper, somehow haha.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For me i would like to have the rumble of the subaru ...

This was my old car ... Having a setup that will be able to sound like that would be awesome!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
id like to get my Dart to sound like my minivan.2.5 swingvalve 3 inch dp into 3 inch muffler side exit with a RFL BOV.Brown one in vid.Im going to do a muffler delete soon and look at options for Downpipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
pkgmsu2000
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing