Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Very nice, glad it came together for you. Did you ask for a secondary muffler in the center section? My kit only came with one. Kind of curious on the change in sound. Did you have to do any trimming of the plastic pieces? Also looks like your pipes are a larger diameter...are they 2-1/2-inch diameter? Ok I'm sold...I'm going to go back and invest in MPx's header bolts...mine are of the rusty kind, and yours are sharp!! Did you happen to see how much carbon was in the exhaust...was thinking it was a bit much...the car had about 3300 miles at this point. Sorry for the barrage of questions. Just 1/4 more tank and the 93 goes in and the Syked tune in after!!
View attachment 125923 View attachment 125924 View attachment 125925 View attachment 125927 View attachment 125928

Thanks. I did not ask for anything other than the "stock" setup from MPx concerning mufflers, diffuser and/or size. I thought I read somewhere that they added an additional muffler after more feedback. Maybe I am dreaming that. It fit in perfectly with no trimming needed and sat nicely in my exhaust tips in my rear diffuser. There was a decent amount of carbon, not terrible. I use Seafoam every oil change to convince myself that it helps with build up. I am a few thousand miles shy of 50k.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting...I know that they added the twin resonators in the back as a way to adjust the way the exhaust sounds with the LTH, but wasn't aware of the 2nd muffler. Might have to inquire about that. I like the sound of mine, but there is a spot in the rpm range that it gets a little tinny IMO. They might have done some adjusting in the tailpipes...I sent some photos that might have explained the issue. I know others had to do some trimming. Regardless...it certainly has a nice bark to it. I'm usually adding foam in the gas tank, but will try some in the oil. Put the oil catch can on the car too...might help. I'll be curious to know if you start to see any rust on the header...started to see a little on mine.
Tailpipe hitting.jpg Tailpipe issue.jpg DSCN5110.JPG

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Interesting...I know that they added the twin resonators in the back as a way to adjust the way the exhaust sounds with the LTH, but wasn't aware of the 2nd muffler. Might have to inquire about that. I like the sound of mine, but there is a spot in the rpm range that it gets a little tinny IMO. They might have done some adjusting in the tailpipes...I sent some photos that might have explained the issue. I know others had to do some trimming. Regardless...it certainly has a nice bark to it. I'm usually adding foam in the gas tank, but will try some in the oil. Put the oil catch can on the car too...might help. I'll be curious to know if you start to see any rust on the header...started to see a little on mine.
View attachment 125929 View attachment 125930 View attachment 125931
What finish did you get on the header? I got the powder coated. I will keep an eye out for rust and let you know.

I can say that the distance on that tail piece section does seem longer on yours. I could not fit my torque wrench with a short socket in that space.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the ceramic coating (which I believe is applied via powder coating process) figuring it would hold up better and help keep heat in check. Probably should have gone for the chrome and accepted the color change. If they get too bad will probably just exhaust wrap them.

Yeah...that's the only thing I could think that caused the issue. I needed a 1/4 to 1/2 inch less to make it work. Mine probably got built on a Friday afternoon :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Day 4 (Saturday) :

Install completed. Took our time and spent about 4 hours at a leisurely pace, thinking things through and enjoying the summer-like weather.

My son and I installed the two rear "dual exhaust" pieces prior to install. We then installed that piece on the rubber hangers. We then installed the "Z" pipe, cat/flex pipe & intermediate pipe in that order. We installed the two new rubber hangers and left the connection between the intermediate pipe and "Z" pipe completely off.

We then removed the header. As previously mentioned, had already loosened the bolts and removed the O2 sensors. Quick tip, remember to unbolt the upper bracket on the bottom of the header/cat.

Gave the entire face area of the header interface with very light pressure scotch-Brite and then wiped both faces with alcohol. Put on new gasket. Installed the header with one person up top and one person below. Used @87ShelbyZ suggestion and put antiseize in the compression area where header and cat pipes meet. Remember to put compression clamp on first and in a position you can tighten it.

Once that was positioned correctly, we installed the new header bolts and nuts at 25 ft lbs. We then tighten header/cat pipe clamp to 35 ft lbs. Tighten cat/flex pipe to existing bracket on the chassis. We then worked out way back tightening all connections to 35 ft lbs.

By the way, I also had to re-use my copper cat pipe flange gasket. I may have used the intended gasket on one of the back connections, or they just did not provide the right one. I also way have used the wrong size bolts at that connection as it was a real fight to get them to go through the re-used OEM gasket. During clean-up, I noticed two smaller bolts which may have been intended for that.

Lastly, we installed both O2 sensors to 30 ft lbs with some antiseize. The O2 sensor which reads post cat requires an extension which is provided. I made sure to keep as far from exhaust piping as possible.

Moment of truth. Started it up and it sounded great right away. A nice, aggressive growl and burble, but not too loud or obnoxious. Also, no smoke, leaks or CELs. Gave it a short Rev and it also sounded wonderful.

To the test drive. Did notice more cabin vibration, however only on startup when idling can I say I really "noticed" it. Could feel it a bit in my ear. Did not have that feeling at any other point in king test drive, even at slow speeds, stopped at lights/stop signs. I think I will take @87ShelbyZ advice and put something to damper between cat/flex pipe and chassis.

I am so happy with my total setup now. Mechanically/performance, this is what I also hoped my Dart would be. It is my daily driver that I wanted to be fun, usable and makes me smile. I understand it is not a Charger, a WRX, a Focus ST (or even a Fiesta St), whatever, but my head, heart and butt-dyno love it. It is mine and it speaks to me, makes me look back at it and smile.

Very nice. I like your red highlighting.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did another cold start video and heard some metallic rattling (can be heard in video of it actually posts). Traced it to where the end of the exhaust is sitting in the OEM exhaust "tips".

Decided to take some leftover thermal insulation pieces (double wrapped) , thermal tape and stainless steel zip ties to create "padding" and eliminate the metal on metal.

So far so good.

Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File InShot_20200524_183226304.mp4

21 - 26 of 26 Posts