Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it that I'm getting older, or is it a verifiable fact that Movies are stuck in a genuine rut over the last five - maybe even 10 years?
Are the magic minds running out of ideas? And not just in the category of "BIG" draw movies, but even in drama and dark comedy... even real comedy... action.... whatever. Everything recently seems to be a copy of something before it. And not just the Re-boots. And with all the political correctness and MeToo , etc., will movies ever get back to making one day classics?
One of my favs from way back was The Last Detail w/ Jack Nicholson . What sounds like a dull premise turns out to be a human interest story. And a realism that makes you feel like you're right there part of the moment.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Whelp! I have to say that it has nothing to do with age, but more taste which somehow turned to absolute poop (IMO) in the last few years. Im talking 20+...Times have changed and for some reason we have to watch other people live their stupid lives...no, that rant has nothing to do with movies then again maybe it does because im sure one day kim kardouchian and kanye dipshtick will get a movie. No one will know what its about though im sure it will get a grammy if that even means anything anymore...

FFS The original Star Wars Trilogy was amazing...so was Spaceballs! Mel Brookes really killed it making that! ...but WTF has George Lucas 'N team been doing? Making poop? all i see is poop!

With that said i saw a movie that was amazing a few years ago...Its typical, comical, your average teen movie in this day and age, but somehow extremely funny and original: Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.
Give it a shot! I swear at first you'll think oh my god, i cannot believe im watching this crap! but you'll be rolling in your boots in no time!

Reactions: dad's dart

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
They sure have beaten the dead horse known as Marvel over and over and over. They keep doing it because it's paying off. Frankly, they don't care about us anymore....most of their market share is from overseas.

I honestly don't know how TV shows still exist, that's the biggest (fake) poop factory of them all.

A bad day on Youtube beats a good day watching TV shows.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't stand to watch Marvel Hero movies. Even the clips are painful. They were meant to be comic books at best. The pop movies are getting to be like going on a ride at a park. You know what you're gonna get, and you pay for the experience. Big woop. How about a movie that tells the untold stories of world powers over the last 100 years? No super hero could save us from what we've become. Wonder how the military figured out how to create Tornadoes and Hurricanes at will ? During season of course.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I can't stand to watch Marvel Hero movies. Even the clips are painful. They were meant to be comic books at best. The pop movies are getting to be like going on a ride at a park. You know what you're gonna get, and you pay for the experience. Big woop. How about a movie that tells the untold stories of world powers over the last 100 years? No super hero could save us from what we've become. Wonder how the military figured out how to create Tornadoes and Hurricanes at will ? During season of course.
Love the Marvel movies. Takes me back to when I was a kid in the early '80's and read the Marvel comic books. It's light fluff, but it is fun. It also "is what it is" and should not be taken seriously. It is not award winning cinema. What bothers me is when a movie like "A Star is Born" (which is a remake) quotes a review in their commercial saying something like "the most important movie of our generation". How self important is that for a movie.

Concerning real life events, I will always take a documentary over a theater released movie due to the movie being dramatized and presented how the director wants the story to be told. Also, most of the time the real life story is so much more interesting. Case in point, watch any actual Ted Bundy documentary with archival footage. Mind blowing of what really happened and his personality.

Finally, I go to the movies to be entertained and "entertainment" may be something different for each one of us. Then again, I like roller coasters too. Everyday real life is very serious and it is nice to have a fun escape for a few moments.

Reactions: dad's dart

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I watched "The Mule" recently, which stars an old Clint Eastwood. I think that even old Clint needs to give it a rest already. As a director he should have known better.

Movie was going perfectly well in terms of flow then all of a sudden it just ends. Right as the detective is starting to track down the mule and right when the Cartel are starting to turn south on the mule, the movie ends with him being arrested. The part just before shows the Cartel on the phone with the boss, asking what they should do with the mule. The next minute the mule is inside his truck driving down the highway with a bloody face, then right away gets pulled over by police.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There aren't enough movies that smack you across the face with the power of an overwhelming reality check. All kinds of Human interest movies, tales of love, regret,injustice, crime, war, religions, and a dash of self-help. But not many "kick you in the groin" films that puts our species on trial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts