Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever done mood lighting? thats the only actual term for it that i've found, but alot of newer chevy's have this type of lighting, i've wanted to do this in my dart just haven't found a real solid point to start my research into it. HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
has anyone ever done mood lighting? thats the only actual term for it that i've found, but alot of newer chevy's have this type of lighting, i've wanted to do this in my dart just haven't found a real solid point to start my research into it. HELP!!
Do you mean the lighting around the car when the lights are off? In my GT I have small slits in the plastic under the handles that light them up.

I installed the LED cup holder which was only a thing on 2013 models, but you can find the LED part online and install it pretty easily. Just need to do a wire tap - which I did on the dimming control wire of the car under the touch screen so it functions like OEM now. The newer models don't have the plug and wiring for the LED cup holder because they discontinued it (to save money probably) so you just need to do that part yourself.

I also have the red LED around the entire dash which is standard with any of the touch screens. You can add that feature with aftermarket lighting tubes, but it doesn't look very clean like OEM.

Additionally I added footwell lights which are just on a simple fuse tap connector and a switch. Just slapped some LEDs under there and wired them together onto the switch. If you know basic electrical this can be easy. The "mood" lighting in other cars you refer to I believe is just the footwell and door lighting correct? Really your first challenge would be figuring out how to wire the lights and make them look clean. Footwells are easy and you can hide them pretty easy and you can tie them together with a line through the middle of the center console. The side panels come off and you can send a wire through. The doors would be much more of a challenge. Assuming you don't have the door lighting, you would need to take the panel off, install LEDs, tap it to some exisiting wiring or run a whole new wiring through the door into the car. Which let me tell you, is NOT FUN. We did that on my friends speaker install, kept it clean by running it through the rubber boot connecting the door to the car, and those things SUCKED. You would then have to cut a slit in the door under the handle to expose the LED to it. More work than it's worth to be honest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the lighting around the car when the lights are off? In my GT I have small slits in the plastic under the handles that light them up.

I installed the LED cup holder which was only a thing on 2013 models, but you can find the LED part online and install it pretty easily. Just need to do a wire tap - which I did on the dimming control wire of the car under the touch screen so it functions like OEM now. The newer models don't have the plug and wiring for the LED cup holder because they discontinued it (to save money probably) so you just need to do that part yourself.

I also have the red LED around the entire dash which is standard with any of the touch screens. You can add that feature with aftermarket lighting tubes, but it doesn't look very clean like OEM.

Additionally I added footwell lights which are just on a simple fuse tap connector and a switch. Just slapped some LEDs under there and wired them together onto the switch. If you know basic electrical this can be easy. The "mood" lighting in other cars you refer to I believe is just the footwell and door lighting correct? Really your first challenge would be figuring out how to wire the lights and make them look clean. Footwells are easy and you can hide them pretty easy and you can tie them together with a line through the middle of the center console. The side panels come off and you can send a wire through. The doors would be much more of a challenge. Assuming you don't have the door lighting, you would need to take the panel off, install LEDs, tap it to some exisiting wiring or run a whole new wiring through the door into the car. Which let me tell you, is NOT FUN. We did that on my friends speaker install, kept it clean by running it through the rubber boot connecting the door to the car, and those things SUCKED. You would then have to cut a slit in the door under the handle to expose the LED to it. More work than it's worth to be honest.
the lighting that im talking about is a really small led light that comes stock... like my dads silverado, its a 2019 and its got these lights near the map light, where some vehicles have the sunglasses holder... theyre just really dim lights that light up all of the center console so you can see at night, theyre not very bright at all and ive seen em in those little saturns not the suv but the newer sedan...

·
Registered
759 Posts
the lighting that im talking about is a really small led light that comes stock... like my dads silverado, its a 2019 and its got these lights near the map light, where some vehicles have the sunglasses holder... theyre just really dim lights that light up all of the center console so you can see at night, theyre not very bright at all and ive seen em in those little saturns not the suv but the newer sedan...
Some darts have "ambient" lighting. Its a red soft lighting behind the parameter of the dash, some had in the foot wells, and I think some even in the doors. You can wire in whatever you want, when it comes to the door its just a matter of seeing if there is any power back there from the switches to power up some LEDs, otherwise you will need to runs something through the door boot in the hinge area to get power.

If you have the illuminated instrument bezel, you can tap wires into the power wire behind the bezels you can use the ambient light dimmer on the dash as well as have them come on when the bezel's light would come on such as with auto headlights it would come on with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts