Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I've been struggling with this for a bit now. Found a few previous discussions with no luck yet. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4l Turbo. For the past 1.5 years this issue resurfaced a couple of times where the 2nd cylinder had a misfire. Replacing the sparkplug fixed it in each case. I would guess I have done this 3 times now. A couple of days ago issue came back, went got the code read(P0302) and it is the same issue. Swap plug again issue is still on going, but did improve a little bit. I swap ignition coils between 2 and 3, misfire still happens on 2.

Here's where I am now chasing ghost, cylinder 3 had a decent amount of oil in it. I cleaned the oil to the best of my ability and replaced the spark plug in there as well. I assume it may be the valve cover gasket could need replacement, but even now when all the oil is out the misfire is persisting.

Today I placed a new spark plug in cylinder 2, and was hoping maybe I just got a bum sparkplug. Nope still happening. After talking with an Autozone guy I attempted to tighten the sparkplug as I didn't want to put it on to tight and thought maybe that would be the issue. I also put on some boot cover between the boot and sparkplug to see if oil might be getting in there a tiny bit and preventing a solid connection. Still no luck.

What is really strange is every time I take out and put in the sparkplug, misfire rates change. At first it went from idling and low speed, to only at 38-40MPH, to around 55MPH , to now at under 2k rpm. Not sure if this might be a hint as to why this is happening.

I set my sights to look at the fuel injector, I added seafoam high mileage motor treatment, hoping that running it thru might help the fuel injector if that's where the issue lies. I drove about 20 miles and still has not started getting better.

I did also get a code for small EVAP leak (P0456), not sure if my gas lid might have been a little loose or if that might be a hint at something related as well.

If anyone has some insight, or experience with this I would love some feedback. I think in the next day or two I plan on taking it to a shop and letting them deal with it. I will continue to update here incase anyone has a similar experience.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Do a compression and leakdown test. The evap code has nothing to do with the misfire.

Reactions: jakeumm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a compression and leakdown test. The evap code has nothing to do with the misfire.
I did not think the evap code did have much to do with the issue. Plan is tomorrow to do the compression test.

But I was thinking earlier how I have taken the spark plug out and the ignition coil out multiple times at this point, and every time the misfire shows differently. I am starting to wonder if when I remove the ignition coil and place it back if that's the ignition coil wire that's causing the issue. Was just messing with that but hard to really do it with out taking it for a drive. Gonna do some more research and see if there is a good way to test that wire and if the problem may be located there.

Will report back with any findings.

·
Registered
2013 Rallye 1.4L turbo DDCT
12 Posts
I did not think the evap code did have much to do with the issue. Plan is tomorrow to do the compression test.

But I was thinking earlier how I have taken the spark plug out and the ignition coil out multiple times at this point, and every time the misfire shows differently. I am starting to wonder if when I remove the ignition coil and place it back if that's the ignition coil wire that's causing the issue. Was just messing with that but hard to really do it with out taking it for a drive. Gonna do some more research and see if there is a good way to test that wire and if the problem may be located there.

I’ve had ongoing misfire in cylinder 2 as well for most of the past 6 months since I bought my car. Now my cylinder 2 has smashed the head of my spark plug due to some other issue. See my other posts for details.

nce I changed the valve cover gasket and tube seals, I’ve had no more oil on the plugs. But now my engine is dead So I have other issues to address.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts

Running with a misfire causes unburnt fuel to wash the oil off the cylinder walls. The compression test and leakdown test will tell you a lot. While it could be a wiring issue, the damage may already be done. There can be problems with a broken lock on the coil connector.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

Check your oil level. Low oil causes a misfire with the multiair. I replaced all 4 ignition coils and sparks only to find out my engine was low on oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running with a misfire causes unburnt fuel to wash the oil off the cylinder walls. The compression test and leakdown test will tell you a lot. While it could be a wiring issue, the damage may already be done. There can be problems with a broken lock on the coil connector.
Just got done with the compression test. Good news is everything seemed fine there. Readings below

1 - 190
2 - 180
3 - 180
4 - 185

Happy about this as this seemed to be the more expensive issue to chase down. Thinking that leaves wiring and fuel injector. Might be time to take it to a mechanic and have them replace whichever is cheaper as I am not sure I would be able to do either of these myself.

Might also take it to autozone and barrow a multimeter. Anyone know how to test the ignition coil wires with that? just read the OHMs between plugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your oil level. Low oil causes a misfire with the multiair. I replaced all 4 ignition coils and sparks only to find out my engine was low on oil.
Just checked the oil, seems fine. I initially checked when I saw there was some oil in one of the spark plug wells. I am thinking maybe some oil got in there and caused a short in the wire? Not sure if replacing that is something my skills are up to. Gonna use Autozones multimeter and just see if things are normal across the board. Maybe I can hit a junkyard and just pull that cable out from another dart

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey so I've been struggling with this for a bit now. Found a few previous discussions with no luck yet. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4l Turbo. For the past 1.5 years this issue resurfaced a couple of times where the 2nd cylinder had a misfire. Replacing the sparkplug fixed it in each case. I would guess I have done this 3 times now. A couple of days ago issue came back, went got the code read(P0302) and it is the same issue. Swap plug again issue is still on going, but did improve a little bit. I swap ignition coils between 2 and 3, misfire still happens on 2.

Here's where I am now chasing ghost, cylinder 3 had a decent amount of oil in it. I cleaned the oil to the best of my ability and replaced the spark plug in there as well. I assume it may be the valve cover gasket could need replacement, but even now when all the oil is out the misfire is persisting.

Today I placed a new spark plug in cylinder 2, and was hoping maybe I just got a bum sparkplug. Nope still happening. After talking with an Autozone guy I attempted to tighten the sparkplug as I didn't want to put it on to tight and thought maybe that would be the issue. I also put on some boot cover between the boot and sparkplug to see if oil might be getting in there a tiny bit and preventing a solid connection. Still no luck.

What is really strange is every time I take out and put in the sparkplug, misfire rates change. At first it went from idling and low speed, to only at 38-40MPH, to around 55MPH , to now at under 2k rpm. Not sure if this might be a hint as to why this is happening.

I set my sights to look at the fuel injector, I added seafoam high mileage motor treatment, hoping that running it thru might help the fuel injector if that's where the issue lies. I drove about 20 miles and still has not started getting better.

I did also get a code for small EVAP leak (P0456), not sure if my gas lid might have been a little loose or if that might be a hint at something related as well.

If anyone has some insight, or experience with this I would love some feedback. I think in the next day or two I plan on taking it to a shop and letting them deal with it. I will continue to update here incase anyone has a similar experience.
So many things. Check for bad wiring. Make sure you have the correct coils.. ran into that issue with aftermarket coils. They were actually slightly shorter and was an issue, I suggest getting a stock coil to compare. I took off air resonator and they are a 2pc unit that's glued together. I sealed up all the seems and apparently fixed my air leak by doing so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You've tried swapping the coil pack from #2 to #3 with no luck.
How do the wires/connection look for #2 coil pack?
Run the engine and do a tug test on the cable. Move the cable around, from the pack to the loom.

Is there something in the head threads causing high resistance connection with the spark plug?

Spit-balling here, but I've had grounding issues with a classic mini in the past...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have oil on/in your plugs/plug wells, you need to replace to the tube seals and the valve cover gasket. If there's oil on the plug it's going to cause it to misfire.

Also, i have a 2013 1.4L Turbo SXT, the car has run low on oil from leaks and it never misfired from low oil. Misfires were only caused by bad plugs from oil leaking on to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I recently solved (by pure luck) an issue with a misfiring cylinder #4. In my case the error code indicated a shorted oil solenoid on the multi air unit. The solenoid is not replaceable and would have been a very expensive fix as quoted by the dealer. After driving the car for a while out of necessity the oil pressure sensor went out. After I replaced it a new code indicated that the MAP sensor was defective. While searching for the sensor I discovered that it was within inches of the oil pressure sensor but most importantly the plug felt loose on the receptacle. I wondered whether the locking mechanism was broken, it was not, after pushing hard enough, the plug locked in place. After that, the misfiring went away. Just finished a NC to MA trip, not a single misfire. Now your problem may not be the same but make sure all the electrical connectors are clean and well connected. Use electrical connector cleaner which you can get at most auto parts stores.
Now, I have been a service engineer for thirty years, based on your description, while the engine is running I would wiggle the cable leading to the spark plug module and see if the misfiring behavior changes. I suspect a wiring issue. Like you say, the behavior changes every time you work on the spark plug.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not familiar with your car's engine, but if the problem is in the wire harness end you can find plenty of options. Just do an internet search for "2016 dart 1.4 ignition coil connector". Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts