Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the Cliff's Notes:

2015 Dart SE 2.0 / 6 Speed manual. 7,000 miles

Car was stolen. We have been painting the outside of the house, involving moving vehicles around so they don't get overspray. I thought wife or kids grabbed keys, wallet, phone while I was putting ladders and tools away. Apparently not. Some trash wandered through neighborhood ransacking cars, and apparently found a key, as main key is MIA.

Car was found .5 miles away, They hurt the clutch, flywheel. Car moves, but has a shudder leaving stop. An engine oil analysis says the motor is OK.

Option 1: Pay deductible, have dealer do the work, and get car back with reprogrammed keys / locks and a new clutch and likely machined flywheel. $1,000 out of pocket, no labor.
Option 2: Get quote from dealer, insurance money will cover parts. Replace clutch and flywheel myself (within my abilities), pay dealer for keys and locks. Come away with upgraded clutch and light weight flywheel. 400.00 out of pocket, with me doing clutch labor.

I have been looking at ClutchMasters. Any other recommendations?

PS. I am sure the members of this forum are mature enough to avoid scolding or ridiculing over the key situation. I feel bad enough that my first new car ever has been violated, and I am paying literally, for it.

· Premium Member
851 Posts
I'd strongly suggest if you go the aftermarket (Clutchmasters) clutch route, go with an organic or organic-fiber clutch plate. They are more forgiving for daily commuting.

· Premium Member
3,885 Posts
for what its worth, you can buy the best clutch on the market that can hold elventybillion HP but doesnt mean anything if the engine cant output that.

Save yourself some cash and only get as much clutch as you need, not as much clutch as you want the engine to have.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for what its worth, you can buy the best clutch on the market that can hold elventybillion HP but doesnt mean anything if the engine cant output that.

Save yourself some cash and only get as much clutch as you need, not as much clutch as you want the engine to have.
Is this directed at me? Curious as to what I wrote that indicated I was going with a Stage 18 clutch?

I subscribe to "room to grow" with logic. This is a 2.0 car with 7,500 miles, it's not going to be making 350HP or voiding the warranty any time soon. The entry level Clutch Masters unit should be just fine. The aluminum flywheel is to save rotational weight, and have a new flywheel. I don't want an essentially new car, with a replacement clutch but a machined down flywheel, it's just not right. When done, the clutch setup will be new, but with quality after market parts, and potentially with some benefits via the lighter flywheel.

· Registered
47 Posts

For the neon lines, the stock unit clutch I had been driving had 130k miles on it, and I sold it with the stock clutch. Yes, stock. I would not have hesitated to put in another stock clutch.

My new dart has a dodge replaced clutch - was not upset it was replaced with stock mo-parts! I'll take this one up to 150k and it will need a clutch I'm sure. If it survives that long, I don't think I'll need an upgrade.

Remember:

Clutch Life Matters

(I totally what that as a window sticker!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.