Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of Cobalt SS wheels this past week. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on if it’s okay to use the oem lug bolts or should I go aftermarket / swap to studs and nuts ?

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I picked up a set of Cobalt SS wheels this past week. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on if it’s okay to use the oem lug bolts or should I go aftermarket / swap to studs and nuts ?
If I recall, the wheels should fit, which I think you found that out before buying. I would not stick with OEM bolts. They swell, get rounded, and are just overall bad bolts if you ever take it to a stop to do anything that might require the wheels off. Because they will take the impact and rip those things to shreds. My buddy does all his work, but needed something specific done on his car so took it to the dealer for the free work. Next time he went to take the wheels off, all 4 wheels had rounded lugs and he had to hammer sockets on to get them off. While this might not be the case for every shop, somehow after one visit his were destroyed. I would look at modern performance and get their gorilla lugs. I have those, and they are solid caps and look good. Both in black and chrome - i have the black. The OEM ones have covers on the cap and that is what swells and are not the strongest, which rounds them.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
The lug bolt style is not a problem once you get one of these:
Just thread the hanger on one lug hole, hang the wheel, and start the other4 lugs. If the center bore of your new wheels is larger, this solves the problem and you don't need to go to lug studs and lug nuts.

The original lugs bolts can swell if water gets under the metal cap. That is easily prevented by putting a thin layer of grease where the cap meets the hardened bolt head. Once the swelling starts, it gets difficult to push a 19 mm socket all the way on. If you don't put the socket all the way down, yes the soft cap will quickly be destroyed. You can try a 20mm socket if the swelling has started. As long as you can get the socket all the way down, the metal cap will not get rounded out. Chrysler has used caps on hardened nuts for as long as I remember and I still have those original lug nuts on all my Neons. Yes, those can swell also but the grease trick really works.

Reactions: Bullfrog

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
The correct lug bolt thread is M12 x 1.25. The above link is for the wrong thread pitch. This is correct:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts