Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have had my '13 SXT with Rallye package 1.4 L for almost 3 years now and has been an absolute trial. It's a miracle if I go a month or two without needing serious work done. Luckily, I bought a $4,000 insurance package through Zurich which covered damn near everything with minimal deductible costs. Normal maintenance as well as an Injen Cold-Air Intake has been handled by myself and my friends. Being holiday season, I cannot get into dealer nor friends' garage for a while and have some pretty troubling issues. Last weekend I replaced my front brake pads; drilled and slotted rotors (zinc dichromate rotors with ceramic pads) have <10K miles so replacement wasn't required and rear rotors and pads are next. A few days after brake pad replacement I began to notice a rubbing/scraping somewhere in my front left wheel area (not sure if it's bearing, rotor, pad, caliper, lug bolts, other). The sound kind of resembles a warped rotor but more of a bearing clank. I'm getting burning smells and have tried to locate the problem over the last few days. Each time I put the wheel back on tight and drive a few blocks and hear the sound again, I go home and the lug nuts are loose as a goose. Realize it might be a few days before I get a response but hopefully someone is bored on Thanksgiving. Anyways, please let me know what you guys think and I can post pictures if necessary.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board. What are you torqueing the lugs to?

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mass_Paul,

I must have been too excited to get back on the road, was definitely under-torquing. Will post tomorrow after bigger sample size. Just drove about 20 miles and still have burning smell but sound and feel of wobble is gone. Smell might be a deceased clutch which would explain a few shifting issues I have been experiencing. Roughly 8 hours of driving tomorrow on Highway and Interstate so should have some more info by end of day tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You may want to take it for a drive for 10 minutes or so and then use a digital laser/infrared thermometer on the rotor to see if there are any unusually high hot spots or if one rotor in particular is hot.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The wheel being loose and wobbling may have damaged the brake pads. This happened to me after having my Challenger state inspected (in MO they're supposed to pull a random wheel and visually inspect brake condition). They did, and a day later I noticeda "grinding" sensation and eventually sound. Iron dust all over my wheel, and lug nuts loose! Ended up having to replace the brake pads because of it, because the caliper was being pushed by the wheel and brake disk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a ‘13 Limited. I got tired of messing with the lugs, they are crap. I ordered studs online and bought lugs at auto zone. Very happy now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sadly traded my 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye :(

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last month my husband and I were in an accident and just changed the way about my love of my dart. I didn't feel safe in it anymore. We were hit on purpose as a part of a scam. She was 21 and had witnesses to say it was our fault. We were driving a Big Horn Ram and she caused 16,000.00 worth of damage on our 4 month old truck. So with that said my Dart is gone.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts