Dodge Dart Forum banner

721 - 740 of 749 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
pull engine cover off and try shooting the video again. i can also suggest leaving the engine cover off during warm summer months. this little turbo runs super hot and there are no heat extraction options in the factory hood. if you have the factory black liner on the underside of the hood, i pulled that off too. it traps heat.
Doesn't that liner protect the paint from damage caused by excessive heat? That little turbo gets about as hot as the surface of the sun and it is really only inches from the very thin aluminum hood.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Doesn't that liner protect the paint from damage caused by excessive heat? That little turbo gets about as hot as the surface of the sun and it is really only inches from the very thin aluminum hood.
you make a good point, but then why would dodge ship aeros from the factory without a liner? in nearly 18 months of having no black liner on my 2013 aero, never noticed any kind of discoloration or evidence of warpage... ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ooook so i got a CEL now :) i dont know why i'm happy about that ahaha.. Definatly taking it to the dealer first thing in the morning. Cant for personal reasons right now. But anyways, is there a way to read codes without any equipment? I cant find anything saying i can read them but if i have one place to check for sure it's here.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Ooook so i got a CEL now :) i dont know why i'm happy about that ahaha.. Definatly taking it to the dealer first thing in the morning. Cant for personal reasons right now. But anyways, is there a way to read codes without any equipment? I cant find anything saying i can read them but if i have one place to check for sure it's here.
Nope you will need some sort of reader. You could stop in at an autozone or something of the like and use their reader for free.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lol well i'm sitting in the lounge of the chrysler dealer that told me everything was perfectly fine. Codes on and the whole time i have had the car running and it's been super low (so it seems atleast) so there is no way they can say anythings fine right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Lol well i'm sitting in the lounge of the chrysler dealer that told me everything was perfectly fine. Codes on and the whole time i have had the car running and it's been super low (so it seems atleast) so there is no way they can say anythings fine right now.
Definitely let us know how that goes. Any mods or all stock? If any mods, bet you they come back blaming you.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
No mods at all (yet!) covered under my powertrain warrenty, said i need a new turbo.
and a new solonoid i bet, as ive read on here that replacing the turbo stilll doesnt completely solve the problem but the dealers dont realize this... good thing we just had another vendor propose a solution for that :)

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
No mods at all (yet!) covered under my powertrain warrenty, said i need a new turbo.
I wonder if they said it was P0299 under boost code. Because 9/10 times turbo is fine. Waste gate is the culprit (on 2013 models( for the most part. Since that is what this thread is about. While it may not be a perfect fix, it was a flaw in the factory adjustment, which was a big cause of it. And from my research on here, replacing the turbo does not even fix the waste gate issue. SO people go through 3+ turbos with the same problem. Then talk about how shit the dart is, simply because the dealer is not replacing or addressing the right part. If you're still there I would bring that up, and ask them to check the adjustment since you have a 13 MY dart. There might even be a TSB out on that issue for them to look up, but I cannot recall if there is or not.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Actually, you dont need a new turbo... You just need a new boost solenoid. But getting a new turbo is good too! Make sure you tell them to replace your boost solenoid or the CEL (p0299) will return shortly.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I wonder if they said it was P0299 under boost code. Because 9/10 times turbo is fine. Waste gate is the culprit (on 2013 models( for the most part. Since that is what this thread is about. While it may not be a perfect fix, it was a flaw in the factory adjustment, which was a big cause of it. And from my research on here, replacing the turbo does not even fix the waste gate issue. SO people go through 3+ turbos with the same problem. Then talk about how shit the dart is, simply because the dealer is not replacing or addressing the right part. If you're still there I would bring that up, and ask them to check the adjustment since you have a 13 MY dart. There might even be a TSB out on that issue for them to look up, but I cannot recall if there is or not.
No no, good sir! Not the wastegate... the boost solenoid! ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
No no, good sir! Not the wastegate... the boost solenoid! ;)
I feel like it's a combination of everything. They really screwed up the 12-13 darts. Lol

I'll check that thread out aswell but i'm guna just let them slap a new one in there and see how it goes
No no no I would definitely talk to them about what was mentioned above. Or you might end up right back at the dealer eventually. If you can get the right parts replaced now, why not? While a whole new turbo is good. Like they said, that is more than likely not even your problem. I'm trying to help you get in there and out with everything resolved so you don't need to go back and deal with it all over again.

It's always good to go into the dealer armed with information. Always know what needs to be fixed to fix the problem, and make sure they do the right things. Dealer's are known for not doing the right repairs, and trying everything they can to not do the necessary work to fix your car.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I feel like it's a combination of everything. They really screwed up the 12-13 darts. Lol

No no no I would definitely talk to them about what was mentioned above. Or you might end up right back at the dealer eventually. If you can get the right parts replaced now, why not? While a whole new turbo is good. Like they said, that is more than likely not even your problem. I'm trying to help you get in there and out with everything resolved so you don't need to go back and deal with it all over again.

It's always good to go into the dealer armed with information. Always know what needs to be fixed to fix the problem, and make sure they do the right things. Dealer's are known for not doing the right repairs, and trying everything they can to not do the necessary work to fix your car.
I agree with you there! The wastegate being incorrectly set is causing the boost solenoid to get worn out and fail, which is a big oops as the dealers just sit there and replace the turbo thinking that the turbo is the issue...

But @Briflex make sure to bring up the boost solenoid with the dealer... if they do not replace it... the CEL WILL COME BACK GUARANTEED!!! The boost solenoid is controlled by the ECU and pretty much controls the turbo... If it is malfunctioning, then the turbo is going to malfunction... Thus is the curse of having an electrically controlled turbo... Where sometimes it is good but other times it makes it very difficult to work on or alter anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
See when i walked i to the place and asked for the person i needed the asshole at the front was like amanda who.. And they already treated me like shit because i was back days later after they saying "Everythings running perfect". My problem is i dont know much about cars ESPECIALLY TURBOS.. This is my first turbo car and first MT car aswell. I learned in my ex's 5 speed cobalt which basicaly became my everyday drive so i'm actually pretty good at it and actually just learned about heel toe down shifting which i strongly believe the dart has a very abnormal throttle response to learn. Regardless, i'm 20, birthday yesterday :)! So i'm still young and never was into cars as a kid. I can go in there and tell them the problem about the boost solenoid (and WGA right?) but i live in PA and everyones dicks. I expect to get asked what it even is or how it's messed up. I'll give them a call tomarrow about it regardless but i dont think it's guna be pretty haha. The dealer i bought my car off of is very optimistic and fills my car up all the time, oil changes for free and details my car before i get it back EVERYTIME. But i have to actually go to this chrysler dealer that doesnt seem to happy about me getting a new turbo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So i did call back. They told me that everything that needs replaced should be replaced. I played dumb and asked what all they were guna do as if i forgot what theys said and she just said the turbo, i asked if that include the boost solenoid and told her that people still get the code because of that and that i didnt want to have to come back. All she said was "i can only imagine they will replace anything that needs replaced"... Soooo can someone show me where the boost solenoid is? And how id identify a new one? Maybe i can draw a little dot on it or something to see if they do replace it?

721 - 740 of 749 Posts