Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new here!

My girlfriend has a 2013 Dart Rallye with the 1.4t. it has about 100,000 miles on it and we just replaced the front brakes. Rotor, caliper, and pads. Bled the system and away we went. Ever since when the brake pedal is applied there is one single loud pop. It used to be every once in awhile, now it's every single time. The dealer claimed it was a loose strut mount and bearing. The local mechanic said it's a loose pad. I'm leaving more towards the local mechanic since it's been happening ever since the new brakes. But I'm at a loss. The caliper and bracket lined up with their respective spots. But would a loose pad cause that loud of noise? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Almost sounds like the brake caliper piston is sticking. Is it only on one side? Does it do it when you are moving or when stationary as well? Do you feel anything in the brake pedal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost sounds like the brake caliper piston is sticking. Is it only on one side? Does it do it when you are moving or when stationary as well? Do you feel anything in the brake pedal?
She cannot tell what side it's coming from. But it does only happen when she is moving and can feel it in the pedal.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Why were the calipers replaced? Those are not typically replaced with brake service at 100k miles. If a mechanic did this, they need to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why were the calipers replaced? Those are not typically replaced with brake service at 100k miles. If a mechanic did this, they need to fix it.
We chose to because of uneven wear. Both inside pads were near zero with well over half remaining on the front. There was often a burning smell will decelerating. And many of the bolts were seized. At the time it seemed easier to just do a clean sweep with new rotors, calipers, and pads. All parts were purchased from Advanced Auto Parts. And they were remanned calipers.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Jack up the front end so the front wheels are off the ground and place jackstands. Start the engine and put it in drive. Apply the brakes as you listen by each wheel. Be careful with loose clothing or long hair near a spinning wheel. Once you can verify which wheel is making the popping sound, remove that wheel and watch what is happening when the brake is applied.

Reactions: Oldarter#63

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
pad wear on one side, the inside where the piston is suggests that the caliper slide pins were also rusted and did not move freely. If you do jack up the car and do a sound test, make sure to turn traction control off or the car isn't going to know what to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pins were replaced and lubed during the brake replacement. We did put it in the air and the noise continued. Doesn't appear that the pads are moving (as if they were the wrong size). So my hunch tells me the refurbished caliper has an issue. But I'm not a mechanic so who knows. Definitely not coming from the strut mount as the dealership suggested.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like the brake pad is rotating in the caliper.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any number of things.
A pad missing a clip. A bad bolt or bushing on a caliper. A caliper vibration damper with a loose or missing bolt. The wheel hub has a loose bolt. A missing c clip on a caliper.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
If the rotors do not have a non-directional finish and the finishing grooves look like the grooves on an old LP record, that could cause the pad to move towards the center and then make a clunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts