·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and for reference here is a stock slant six damper and then a billet Romac unit. My romac has a band between the two pieces but its kind of hard to see from the front.

100_4782.JPG

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've been doing a lot do research into this myself lately as I'm very green when it comes to performance parts. I know they e had great results with it and these motors are internally balanced (still looking for a source for this), but I do wonder why they still don't need the dampened?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do need it, thats my concern! i kno they are making these out of aluminum and i can bet they get a little "flex" with that twisted spoke deisgn. I know Belt drive stuff transmits like half the amount of vibrations compared to a chain or gear drive so maybe that has something to do with it. Im just worried about the long term, yes the lighter pulley free's up hp but without a dampening effect there could be serious consequences. The early 60's poly v8's were internally balanced and mopar sold them with out a balancer (just pulley assembly) for i think 1 year, after have crank snouts break off they started putting balancers back on them.

P.S. most threads i either post in or create do not come up in the "notifications" tab when updated. what setting do i need to change.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think you have to subscribe to it... If I @805moparkid tag you, you'll get notifications... Also might want to post this in a more general forum this one only gets semi minor traffic specific to the 2.4. All models have the lw pulley

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got a notification, not for a thread post but because you mentioned me. I will see if i can get this moved, im used to the structure of my other forum which is way different.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
the world engines are internally balanced and do not need that ring. i have run mine since Feb and i have not has a single problem. the stock pulley has that for whiny toyota owners so they cant feel their engines,lol.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not a balance ring (though sometimes manufactures choose to drill into it for balance/zero balance), its a damper ring. Just because the engine is internally balanced, just as my slant, some SBM, most BB's, and all Gen II hemi's. Every engine needs a dampener to absorb the pulses from combustion, harmonics, and other factors.

Found their contact on the site so i will be curious to hear what they have to say. Im going to be calling some of my Super Stock Contacts and see what they think.
@LuckyJayRRM

And @Deadpool I only have 5 mopars and one datsun so no whiny toyota owners here.

Reactions: Deadpool

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
its not a balance ring (though sometimes manufactures choose to drill into it for balance/zero balance), its a damper ring. Just because the engine is internally balanced, just as my slant, some SBM, most BB's, and all Gen II hemi's. Every engine needs a dampener to absorb the pulses from combustion, harmonics, and other factors.

Found their contact on the site so i will be curious to hear what they have to say. Im going to be calling some of my Super Stock Contacts and see what they think.
@LuckyJayRRM

And @Deadpool I only have 5 mopars and one datsun so no whiny toyota owners here.
-waves hands like a jedi- you want to give me your 73 dart.

Reactions: Gaia

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
348 Posts
@805moparkid I've heard nothing but good stuff about the pulleys from everyone but I'm still hesitant for the same reason you are, if something going to go wrong it'll happen to me. Things like CAI and exhaust aren't moving parts so I'm not concerned.

If you hear it's all good I'll be ordering one and I've got a shop ready to install it for me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i talked to my boss today and he is in the same boat as me, a pulley without a dampener is just asking for trouble...

·
Registered
479 Posts
i talked to my boss today and he is in the same boat as me, a pulley without a dampener is just asking for trouble...
@805moparkid: Add me to the list of people wanting to know the answer. Thanks for bringing it up. I've been debating the pulley for a while and I'm going to officially wait until we get to the bottom of this. Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Well after doing some checking and some quick investigative work, Craven Speed also has a cranky pulley for the Mini Cooper and that does not have the damper either:

Lightweight Crank Pulley - CravenSpeed Online

Just like the @roadrace light weight crank pulley, they both do not have a damper. I know I have had my pulley on from Road Race for about 10k miles (give or take) and I have not had any issues with the pulley. The only issues I had was with the installation and that was just a bitch with getting the bolt off.

I know I have read a lot of threads lately with the crank pulleys for the 2.0/2.4's and the spectrum tune from @roadrace and I haven't had any issues with either one once I installed them. I have only seen gains and improvements since the first time I drove Aya. There was tremendous pedal lag and the engine in stock form was very sluggish, you could feel it struggle. Once the pulley was installed, it was a different animal. My buddy with his 1.4T drove my 2.0 before we did the pulley install to get it in his garage (tight fit) and after (to pull it out of the garage) and to him he noticed the change and it was night and day. To me the pulley might be the best mod out there for the 2.0/2.4 platform, it is that good. I know Jay from RRM has been checking the pulleys with a fine tooth comb, and each one is balanced and with no ill effects to the engine.

The pulley itself is the same stock size as the OEM, just lighter, freeing up the engine. Yes, back in the day we needed to make sure harmonic balancers were in place or we would cause catastrophic failures. I've been in contact with RoadRace and @LuckyJayRRM numerous times about questions and they have helped me understand the ins and outs of our Darts. I trust them with the information they make available to us and there all around knowledge. They have been pumping out pulleys for older cars and they found the way to have it help our Darts as well.

No one has had issues with the 1.4t crank pulleys either from what I have found. I mean I know there is marketing, but they back it up, and have talked to them about the pulleys for the darts, but to me this sums it up perfectly from RoadRace's website:

"After 6 months, over 10K miles of BETA testing, and several design changes, we are finally ready to offer this jewel to the public. In the 10+ years of developing pulleys just like these, we have managed to produce THOUSANDS of pulleys with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of miles without failures."

@roadrace or @LuckyJayRRM maybe you can chime in and help us out, I am sure I am missing something else here, but with you guys having first hand knowledge, I can only give my findings and my opinions of the pulley.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after doing some checking and some quick investigative work, Craven Speed also has a cranky pulley for the Mini Cooper and that does not have the damper either:

Lightweight Crank Pulley - CravenSpeed Online

Just like the @roadrace light weight crank pulley, they both do not have a damper. I know I have had my pulley on from Road Race for about 10k miles (give or take) and I have not had any issues with the pulley. The only issues I had was with the installation and that was just a bitch with getting the bolt off.

I know I have read a lot of threads lately with the crank pulleys for the 2.0/2.4's and the spectrum tune from @roadrace and I haven't had any issues with either one once I installed them. I have only seen gains and improvements since the first time I drove Aya. There was tremendous pedal lag and the engine in stock form was very sluggish, you could feel it struggle. Once the pulley was installed, it was a different animal. My buddy with his 1.4T drove my 2.0 before we did the pulley install to get it in his garage (tight fit) and after (to pull it out of the garage) and to him he noticed the change and it was night and day. To me the pulley might be the best mod out there for the 2.0/2.4 platform, it is that good. I know Jay from RRM has been checking the pulleys with a fine tooth comb, and each one is balanced and with no ill effects to the engine.

The pulley itself is the same stock size as the OEM, just lighter, freeing up the engine. Yes, back in the day we needed to make sure harmonic balancers were in place or we would cause catastrophic failures. I've been in contact with RoadRace and @LuckyJayRRM numerous times about questions and they have helped me understand the ins and outs of our Darts. I trust them with the information they make available to us and there all around knowledge. They have been pumping out pulleys for older cars and they found the way to have it help our Darts as well.

No one has had issues with the 1.4t crank pulleys either from what I have found. I mean I know there is marketing, but they back it up, and have talked to them about the pulleys for the darts, but to me this sums it up perfectly from RoadRace's website:

"After 6 months, over 10K miles of BETA testing, and several design changes, we are finally ready to offer this jewel to the public. In the 10+ years of developing pulleys just like these, we have managed to produce THOUSANDS of pulleys with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of miles without failures."

@roadrace or @LuckyJayRRM maybe you can chime in and help us out, I am sure I am missing something else here, but with you guys having first hand knowledge, I can only give my findings and my opinions of the pulley.
Thanks for the post. As ive said i know the gains are real (not personally) but because of experience. That still doesn't change the fact an engine needs a damper. Now if these guys have figured out a way to do that with this package im all ears BUT the fact remains we dont spend alot of coin on ATI's and the like for no reason. Second had from a road racer racer running a 428SCJ in a cobra, actually wore out an ATI and the crank SHATTERED into three pieces.

I think i new damper system should be looked at and lose some weight at the other end, flywheel and clutch

Reactions: youngsmith53

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I will be more that happy to chime in on this, let me tell you this is a conversation we have been having since we released our first pulley back in 2001. Let me first say that we have never seen a failure due to one or our Pulleys, people have driven more than 120,000 miles on them with no issues. The debate about dampeners and internal balancing has been going on for just as long, your can find threads at EvolutionM that are a decade old on the topic, and even then there was no evidence that a light weight pulley would damage an internally balanced engine. We run them on our Abarth M1, our race cars, and many of our employee's personal vehicles, Road///Race totally stands behind its product. As for the dampener, remember that this is not a small block V8 and we apply different rules on balancing and harmonics to this engine. We have specialized in World Engines like the Tiger Shark since they first hit the market and we have thousands of hours of research, testing and engineering for the parts we have developed for them. There is nothing dangerous about Light Weight Pulley that we produce for the Dart, if there was we would not offer the product.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be more that happy to chime in on this, let me tell you this is a conversation we have been having since we released our first pulley back in 2001. Let me first say that we have never seen a failure due to one or our Pulleys, people have driven more than 120,000 miles on them with no issues. The debate about dampeners and internal balancing has been going on for just as long, your can find threads at EvolutionM that are a decade old on the topic, and even then there was no evidence that a light weight pulley would damage an internally balanced engine. We run them on our Abarth M1, our race cars, and many of our employee's personal vehicles, Road///Race totally stands behind its product. As for the dampener, remember that this is not a small block V8 and we apply different rules on balancing and harmonics to this engine. We have specialized in World Engines like the Tiger Shark since they first hit the market and we have thousands of hours of research, testing and engineering for the parts we have developed for them. There is nothing dangerous about Light Weight Pulley that we produce for the Dart, if there was we would not offer the product.
thanks for the response! for the record i never had an issue with the lightweight part, just the no dampening effect. So i do have to ask, does your pulley have any dampening effect that you know of?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check your emails....trying to get a pulley from you guys....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts