Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of led headlights yesterday and when turning on the car I get a chime about low beam lights out but once I turn on the headlights, this chime continues every 10-15 seconds. So I’m curious as to what I did wrong? The part number was 9012 which is the standard bulb size for the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
more than likely you just need to add the led resistor. since the dart has a bcm if you change anything and the car senses a difference it will let you know. the issue is that leds take alot less power to run so you have to add the resistor in order to get the warning to go away

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I do that? I can’t find any guides on it but I do have another theory. Apparently there are LEDs that have a canbus adapter build into them to prevent the error codes and I believe this is what will fix the issue

·
Registered
103 Posts
basically the canbus adapter is the resistor. and they have some videos on doing an led conversion kit on youtube. ill try to find a video for you. you can find the canbus set up as a plug and play where on end goes into the bulb line and the other will go to the main harness

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok everyone so i have done the research and (once i get my sponsorship finished up) i will be purchasing the led conversion kit i mentioned above. i have been talking with a rep and there is a resistor set that is needed for the kit so it doesnt throw any code. her is the link:
https://www.carlightingdistrict.com/products/resistance-9005?variant=2193850105865

i hope this helps others that are interested. and sns found a cheaper way of going into leds as well. please let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Have you read what folks on the Ram and Jeep forums are doing with alfaOBD? Not sure if Darts are the same but on Rams there are settings to change and then the BCM accepts the leds. No need for resistors or special harnesses. Lots to read and try.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm. I have the next 2 days off. I'll have to see what's up

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Saw that but haven't seen anything in alfaobd to change to led in the dart
To be honest, I have never checked nor do I have any desire to change my lighting to led. I regularly read the Ram forum alfaOBD thread and am constantly amazed at what others are doing with the app. The main reason I got the app was to program keys, disable TPMS, and to be able to access all the electronic modules in case I ever have a need to diagnose a problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
Saw that but haven't seen anything in alfaobd to change to led in the dart
If I had the app I would totally look into this but I never broke down and bought it. I have a feel this LED kit above is not error free. And with the resistors, I am still not convinced. Our BCM is almost as picky as the RAMs, which are terribleeee when it comes to modifying lights. I also believe if you want the best in lighting technology, then it's either VLEDs or TheRetrofitSource. I am not saying this is not a good kit, but with hundreds of companies claiming to be the best, have the best tech, have the best kit, I only know the few i mentioned. And they constantly make revisions and upgraded versions to stay on top.

I just see the site says 12,000 Lumens. Guys, that's a lot of lumens. A high end 50-55W ballast with HID bulbs at the peak Kelvin rating can put you close to 9000 lumens. And those suckers are bright. LED technology has come a long way, but not double to triple what other big name LED lights can do. Especially since these look very much like the Morimoto xB LED kit I bought for my fogs back in '15. They have since replaced that model like 3 times with better ones.

While this kit probably works decently, I dislike when companies can boast about how much light output they have, when I bet they are not even a 3rd of that statement on their site. Most modern op of the line LED bulbs I am seeing in the 4500 Lumen range. I would love to see the results and absolutely prove me wrong. Nothing better than to see that, but I have never been impressed with any LED kit in the headlights. I do use them in the fog lights, they are great, but I still think they have a little bit more time before they can knock HIDs off the thrown in aftermarket in terms of performance. They definitely win in terms ease of install, size and probably power draw, but not light pattern, and light output. At least not from what I have seen, it's been a while since I was able to compare new LED products, and I am sure they have gotten better. Note: this is all in a plug and play halogen projector or reflector housing that these statements are for. When you have dedicated LED housings that some cars have, and have multiple LEDs, those suckers are BRIGHT. But that's not what we are talking about here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed led headlights on my 2015. I've had the low beam out message pop up every three minutes for 2 days when I drove. Then it just stopped.

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
I just installed led headlights on my 2015. I've had the low beam out message pop up every three minutes for 2 days when I drove. Then it just stopped.
Strange. It will probably come back. So the issue of it coming up every couple minutes is because the kit must have some sort of resistance in it, that dips into the point where the car thinks it is okay. But since it's not enough most of the time, it keeps fluctuating in and out of this GOOD - NOT GOOD - GOOD - NOT GOOD cycle. That's why the message keeps coming up. Idk where you live, but it's starting to get colder and this car reacts very differently to resistors and electrical when it's cold. The original HID canceling kit I found that worked flawlessly ended up doing that once the winter came around. All summer, the probably Hundreds of people that bought these canbus adapters loved them, and said they worked great. Then winter came, and they said they were getting the message. It's because those resistors inside were strong, but once the cold hit, they were not as reliable for pleasing the car and it's mood swings of voltage when cold. I want to say the voltage is lower in the cold, causing the error to be more prevelant.

What might be happening with you is it's still showing up, but now it's one indefinitely. Check your "stored messages" in your dash. You should be able to click down to that section and it will either tell you what's wrong, or say no messages. My guess is it's on, and it's staying on, vs it reaching the GOOD status and then realizing, OH yeah this is not good, and then flashing the error over and over.

2014+ is annoying. The 13s don't ding. They just flash the message, but of course they added the ding to the message, which is a royal headache in this case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also what I've figured is the fans on the LEDs might be staying drawing just enough power. Not too sure but I'm glad its stopped. But I'll check my stored messages because my tpm still goes off when I first get in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strange. It will probably come back. So the issue of it coming up every couple minutes is because the kit must have some sort of resistance in it, that dips into the point where the car thinks it is okay. But since it's not enough most of the time, it keeps fluctuating in and out of this GOOD - NOT GOOD - GOOD - NOT GOOD cycle. That's why the message keeps coming up. Idk where you live, but it's starting to get colder and this car reacts very differently to resistors and electrical when it's cold. The original HID canceling kit I found that worked flawlessly ended up doing that once the winter came around. All summer, the probably Hundreds of people that bought these canbus adapters loved them, and said they worked great. Then winter came, and they said they were getting the message. It's because those resistors inside were strong, but once the cold hit, they were not as reliable for pleasing the car and it's mood swings of voltage when cold. I want to say the voltage is lower in the cold, causing the error to be more prevelant.

What might be happening with you is it's still showing up, but now it's one indefinitely. Check your "stored messages" in your dash. You should be able to click down to that section and it will either tell you what's wrong, or say no messages. My guess is it's on, and it's staying on, vs it reaching the GOOD status and then realizing, OH yeah this is not good, and then flashing the error over and over.

2014+ is annoying. The 13s don't ding. They just flash the message, but of course they added the ding to the message, which is a royal headache in this case.
Do you have any ideas of how to turn of the ding?

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
Do you have any ideas of how to turn of the ding?
No I do not believe there is a way to turn it off...only way is to upgrade to a different kit that won't give the error. I don't know which ones out there do that for the Dart as I have never used them in the headlights. Only HIDs, which have been quite successful and personally I would say out perform LEDs greatly. Even the best kits out there. My signature has a link to my post about them. Where I actually replace LED headlights (a higher end kit) with HIDs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts