Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am new to the site and new to a 2015 dart rally/sxt. I used to have a 2012 RAM 1500 with LED headlights and fog lights. I personally like the LEDs better than the HIDs. has anyone converted to LEDs yet? I'm trying to make sure they'll fit inside the housings with the cooling fans on the back. I have the High power 80W LEDs with ballasts. Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
LEDs even with cooling fans don't last that long in headlights. Plus I haven't seen any 9012 leds. And 80W is way too much power for the stock wiring.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Hey thats a nice thread there! :big smile:
@dustin_mocha

There is a good kit I hear for LED headlights. It's almost double the price of even theretrofitsource (TRS) hids are though (which I recommend for some awesome quality :D )

LMZ 9006 45W 4500LM ULTRA OUTPUT LED HEADLIGHTS - 9006 HB4 - ALL - LED Headlights

Those should fit our car. Might need a little modification on the fins but the connectors are all the same. They are also partnered with VLEDs. Which in HID land, TRS is the best. In LED land VLED is the best. So you can't go wrong with either one. TRS actually supplies HIDs to VLEDs to sell as well. They both have awesome customer service.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey thats a nice thread there! :big smile:
@dustin_mocha

There is a good kit I hear for LED headlights. It's almost double the price of even theretrofitsource (TRS) hids are though (which I recommend for some awesome quality :D )

LMZ 9006 45W 4500LM ULTRA OUTPUT LED HEADLIGHTS - 9006 HB4 - ALL - LED Headlights

Those should fit our car. Might need a little modification on the fins but the connectors are all the same. They are also partnered with VLEDs. Which in HID land, TRS is the best. In LED land VLED is the best. So you can't go wrong with either one. TRS actually supplies HIDs to VLEDs to sell as well. They both have awesome customer service.
$250 for LED headlights? That's crazy talk...

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
$250 for LED headlights? That's crazy talk...
that's because it was the best one's I could find... lol That's the price you pay for the new technology. While LEDs have been around for ages, LEDs powerful enough for a headlight application are still very new. Most people just go to HIDs because it's more known and most people can't speak for LED headlights yet. Why spend double for about the same output? And plus LED headlights might not work well in certain projectors. That's why those new cars that do have them (audi for example) have a custom made housing for them and even then typically it is like 3 or 4 leds in one headlight all angled inside special LED projectors to put out that light like a halogen or HID would

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. When I was looking at the TRS HIDs I was looking between 35 and 55 watts. Does anyone know if the colors change with the wattage. From what I'm reading, im taking it as the 55W are a little brighter but have a shorter life and the color is slightly off than the 35 W. Any opinions?

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. When I was looking at the TRS HIDs I was looking between 35 and 55 watts. Does anyone know if the colors change with the wattage. From what I'm reading, im taking it as the 55W are a little brighter but have a shorter life and the color is slightly off than the 35 W. Any opinions?
Yes a 55W bulb will wash out the bluish tint of the HIDs. From my personal experience their 6500k don't have too much blue anyways. I went and always have gone with 35w HIDs. I never found the need for 55W and my lights are so bright. 35w kits have a 5 year warranty on the ballasts. I think 55w have a 3 year. Both a long time if you really think about it. All bulbs I believe come with a one year warranty which is fair. I know people running two or even three years without replacing a bulb. If you're looking for a "slight tint" of blue I say check out the 35w 6500k. If you want a pure white look and probably their best output lights look into the 5500k.

If you have any other questions make sure to hit "reply with quote" at the bottom of my post or use the @ sign and then my user name or else I will not see your post and might not answer you. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes a 55W bulb will wash out the bluish tint of the HIDs. From my personal experience their 6500k don't have too much blue anyways. I went and always have gone with 35w HIDs. I never found the need for 55W and my lights are so bright. 35w kits have a 5 year warranty on the ballasts. I think 55w have a 3 year. Both a long time if you really think about it. All bulbs I believe come with a one year warranty which is fair. I know people running two or even three years without replacing a bulb. If you're looking for a "slight tint" of blue I say check out the 35w 6500k. If you want a pure white look and probably their best output lights look into the 5500k. If you have any other questions make sure to hit "reply with quote" at the bottom of my post or use the @ sign and then my user name or else I will not see your post and might not answer you. :)
great. Thanks a lot. Just ordered some 35W lights. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
yes. With the canbus ballast
Nice! I'm trying out a new setup from them they just came out with. Did you get their canbus harness or separately get a set of canbus ballasts? They just released a new relay harness made for modern mopars. The RAMs (2015) were having issues with the error message on the dash (same as the dart), and they just came out with a relay setup for those RAMs. The canbus harness has seem to be hit or miss with most owners. Half have reported they are working great and no error messages, others not so much. They all work and function perfectly, but the error message is annoying. Which is the main concern in the dart community.

2015 Dodge Ram: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

It has so much extra stuff to keep the BCM happy, which also comes with a higher price tag... $65 over the 9012 kit. I happen to be very close with TRS and I set up a very successful group buy with them last month. I was talking with Nate, their COO, the whole time so I have been getting some insider info. When I saw these products came out I told him I'd love to give them a try on the dart. I before tried their old Mopar spec relay, with a capacitor (needed) and then added their two resistors inline with the relay to try and get rid of the error but it was not enough. I gave up, went to canbus, and all was good. lol Now I see this kit and noticed there isn't two resistors but FOUR. I was like ahhhh. He set me up with a free set of resistors and I will give them a test and see if they are good on the dart. If they are, then we have solid kit! And with a relay harness which is a double plus! I'll probably have them this by weekend.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
just installed my headlights today. Pretty easy and no error. Nice setup. Now for the fogs. But when I went to the site it has an H11A option and H11B option. Do you know which the dart has?
Fogs are H11B. If you get A the return bar that is on the HIDS will be in the wrong spot and you will have a shadow on the ground when you put them in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts