1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
799 Posts
I wonder if this will prompt any sort of recall. I know many of us here with the 2.4L have problems with excessive oil consumption. I still enjoy my car but I would like to see something done about the oil consumption issue. Mine is 6 years old and still burning a quart every 1000 miles

Lawsuit Claims FCA Knowingly Sold Millions Of Cars That Can Shut Off During Operation | Carscoops
Watch there will be a open recall for a computer update in which all it does is somehow prevent the car from shutting off due to low oil.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That website is so smart for using a grand Cherokee.... Also i'd rather have a car shut off due to low oil that burn the whole engine up for low oil. It's not like it's coding or something else that makes it turn off actually randomly. It turns off due to low oil, something that is easy to check

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
I recall reading a story a few months back about a guy with a brand new RAM with a HEMI. The engine blew because it ran critically low on oil, and he was denied warranty coverage. Where a fluid level is designed to be checked by the operator (either with a dipstick or markings on a tank), it is considered the owner's responsibility to check the fluid level regularly. It says so in the owner's manual of every vehicle to check the oil level regularly. There is also no requirement (in North America, at least, and probably not in Europe either) for the automaker to include a sensor that monitors the oil level or to provide the driver with a warning that the oil level is low. That said, if a brand new FCA vehicle is consuming 3 quarts of oil in 3000 miles, as stated in the article, the dealership should have performed an oil consumption test, since that does exceed the maximum allowed limit of 1 quarts per 2,000 miles. If it fails, you get a new engine. The downside is that if the car passes that test, you're on the hook for 2 full-synthetic oil changes and a diagnostic charge at dealership rates.

It should be pretty obvious that the 2.4L has some kind of inherent flaw in its design that makes it more prone to oil consumption than other engines. That said, it's unlikely to result in a safety recall campaign, since running low enough on oil for the car to stall requires negligence on the part of the owner/operator to happen. Even if it did, my guess is the solution would be to affix highly visible stickers in the cabin as reminders to check the oil regularly. A safety recall does not necessarily require the automaker to correct the flaw, they only have to correct the safety issue. When Ford fitted a bunch on 1998 Contours and Mystiques with springs that were made of the wrong metal and could shatter spontaneously, thus puncturing tires and causing sudden loss of control, the NHTSA-approved correction was to install small $5 plastic shields that would protect the tires in the event of a spring failure. Despite acknowledging that the springs were indeed defective, they would only replace them if they actually failed under warranty. And trust me, they didn't bend on that policy when my mother-in-law's Mystique lost both its rear springs almost simultaneously. Automakers have no obligation outside of warranty and "lemon laws" to make it right, they only have to make it safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if this will prompt any sort of recall. I know many of us here with the 2.4L have problems with excessive oil consumption. I still enjoy my car but I would like to see something done about the oil consumption issue. Mine is 6 years old and still burning a quart every 1000 miles

Lawsuit Claims FCA Knowingly Sold Millions Of Cars That Can Shut Off During Operation | Carscoops
My 2014 Dart was shutting off for no "apparent" reason. I check the oil on a regular basis as with my other cars. It turned out it had excessive oil consumption and the dealer changed the engine under warranty. I am now having a problem with the multi air unit, a 900.00 non-repairable part and the engine doesn't even have 20K on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts