Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Mopar 13 - 1.4L turbo

What's up guys, I'm searching for a solution to fix the lack of power and jerky acceleration in the lower RPM range.

I am planning on doing spark plugs at 60,000 miles (about 300 miles out), but I was wondering if there are any other maintenance procedures I should take, as well as any potential performance mods that would help to fix this issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've also been searching for a solution. I just replaced my plugs at 90k and my coils at 111k. The car still runs the same. It's worse when the A/C is running.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What's up guys, I'm searching for a solution to fix the lack of power and jerky acceleration in the lower RPM range.

I am planning on doing spark plugs at 60,000 miles (about 300 miles out), but I was wondering if there are any other maintenance procedures I should take, as well as any potential performance mods that would help to fix this issue.

Thanks
Though I don't have a solution, I do recognize the problem for sure. My Dart is a 2014 2.4L Manual and I find that the biggest cause of jerky acceleration is a pretty nauseating throttle delay. If you put the car in neutral and floor it, there is a very noticeable deadzone before the engine responds. To me, it seems like that lack of predictable throttle response can make for a difficult driving experience. I haven't looked too far into a fix, but my guess is maybe an ECU tune could fix it? That delay has gotta be programmed in there (hopefully).

·
Registered
2013 1.4l Turbo Sxt, 6speed manual. 90k miles
17 Posts
Mine is too... ive read alignment and axles or wheel bearings can play a big toll on that and vibrations... i just got the gut feeling a professional tune will help this...but these cars coils and plugs have a problem...they're are flashes available for this.... the waste gate / boost monitoring and controlling could be out of alignment in theory.... cars are not simple... testing Replacing and following proper procedures specifications and recommendations of the factory is wise... or people that really KNOW the car... not people that heard from someone who heard from someone ect... get it from the source or next in line that the source trusts and certifies..... all im saying is more research and using your resources to build the Map your car needs to follow is hard... and many people leave alot of important details out or hide it... until I get my hands on it... i can't for sure 100% tell u whats wrong... The more info the better fo sho... but These Darts have alot of common issues that many failures seem to replicate the symptoms of others....

Mine definitely in mid load 3rd-6th surges and feels jerky... im hunting it down as money and time allow it but even a wheel bearing Shut the BUS down in my car and it went into limp / safety mode...if i didn't keep my scan tool with me to clear and recalibrate everything.... the typical car owner might of been out a couple hundred... or some hacks take advantage of someone who doesn't know.... thats not me but I know other techs who are and it disgusts me .... they're the reason technicians have a bad reputation and ruin good mechanics image... Just don't be that guy I guess.. i went off subject I know... but they're isnt a easy answer... RESEARCH YOUR RESOURCES!

#Besmart
#Worksmarternotharder

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks
When I had that problem, I learned that one coil was not firing correctly. So I bought 4 and replace all of them after finding out the bad one and spending a great deal of time and money replacing what failed again and again.. I went to my friends at Autozone and told them, Okay, your coils are not very friendly so I will buy all four and when they fail you will replace all four for me and they said okay. As soon as I did that, they have been running at their peak performance and never failed, go figure! I Stepped on the gas and while it would sort take off, once the turbo boost would engage the motor would struggle and not run correctly. While barely stepping, it would take off as expected.

A spark plug has a specific resistance. You can compare each spark plug for its internal resistance and this way eliminate a bad plug. Now, there are, in some cases, where the plug only fails when it gets hot and at a certain RPMs. Those are tougher.

Be Safe.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Though I don't have a solution, I do recognize the problem for sure. My Dart is a 2014 2.4L Manual and I find that the biggest cause of jerky acceleration is a pretty nauseating throttle delay. If you put the car in neutral and floor it, there is a very noticeable deadzone before the engine responds. To me, it seems like that lack of predictable throttle response can make for a difficult driving experience. I haven't looked too far into a fix, but my guess is maybe an ECU tune could fix it? That delay has gotta be programmed in there (hopefully).
Turbo and normally aspirated do act differently, going after the ECU on a Turbo charged application right off the bat, may not be the best use of your resources. You could get luck and in your case that is the problem but there is a low chance this might be the problem.

Ed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts