Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like most the posting on here is more then not about problems and issues. I will say this site and the mods and the search feature is a dream for one like me late to the game.

It seems many have lost the enthusiasm or moved on. Kinda hard to grasp since some of us have old iron form the 60-s and 70-s where its all old.

I have learned over the past year how simplistic these darts are and although most newer cars seem like throw away cars, these seem no different. And the past year has been good at stocking up while mopar dumps dart parts for next to nothing (not really nothing but 75% off) for some things.

Anyways, kinda wish more folks were still hitting the darts as hard as when they were new.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Seems like most the posting on here is more then not about problems and issues. I will say this site and the mods and the search feature is a dream for one like me late to the game.

It seems many have lost the enthusiasm or moved on. Kinda hard to grasp since some of us have old iron form the 60-s and 70-s where its all old.

I have learned over the past year how simplistic these darts are and although most newer cars seem like throw away cars, these seem no different. And the past year has been good at stocking up while mopar dumps dart parts for next to nothing (not really nothing but 75% off) for some things.

Anyways, kinda wish more folks were still hitting the darts as hard as when they were new.
I think most people are on other social media sites /apps. It is too bad because they don't get nearly as in depth on those platforms as people do here.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm thinking it might be like Mass_Paul said, folks are on social media platforms now I suppose. And I'll agree with both you gents; the social media platforms generally don't seem to get as in depth, and both the Mods and search function here are top notch!
I know good stuff is still happening out there in Dart-land though, so that gives me hope. I saw over the summer MTD has their 2.4 cams available for sale. I thought that was exciting and was secretly hoping someone here with some means (which I haven't got) might get a build going with one.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pick ME Pick ME!

Post a link..... Ive a core motor apart and doing some checking on since im at 4lk ft in altitude if I can change the compression height for a bit more compression and still have the proper piston to valve clearance and just might have the crank offset ground and gain a tiny bit more tq all the time.

These darts are dirt cheap to work on/build vs many other rides.

Yea, I had a blast today and am wondering if im gonna get decent mpg or not. So it was granny driving but still fun. Local Vol. FD has a 911 gathering/meal each year and old people just cant pass up good food.

Sky Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
292 Posts
Keep in mind that Dart's were made a small number of years so there aren't a lot of Dart owners out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You got a few things working against you with the dart platform. They were only made for a few years 13 to 16. As much as that they were marketed as a performance car but were only a snappier, in some cases a commuter 4 door. The engines 2.4-2.0-1.4t were all a bit anemic and when coupled to a few of the not so great transmissions out there became worse. The electronics were also garbage. In the 8 years of ownership and 100k miles, I had to replace a rfhm-tcm-bcm and ecm. The thing just kept crapping out modules. Ii suspect some of the Darts ended up in the scrap yard with either a blown transmission or the dash board lit up like a Christmas tree and not able to pass inspection. This is kind of how mine died. I patched it up and sold it off quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great picture in front of the VFD! I love that color on these cars. Well any mopar really haha. Buddy in high school had an orange 69 GTX, so I guess I got hooked young. That was loooong time back. Anyway...

These are the guys with the cam they developed. There was a guy used to be on here with a 1.4 he modded up, and following his developments online led me to this page a while back:
Multiair Tuning & Developments - USA - Home | Facebook

Sorry it is a facebook link, but it seems that is all they have, at least as far as I can see. One weird looking cam, but then MultiAir is just a little bit different than the cams I grew up swapping out :D

Yeah, a number of troubled darts out there from what I've read. I've had nothing but good out of mine. 2.4 manual trans. And I hammer it pretty hard on the back roads around here. As my wife says "god you dog this thing!!" Yep, I love it. 70k and trouble free.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not seeing anything too difficult on these cars. It would not be a stretch to make a cam core of the base specs of an oem and have the lobes ground on it, it might be a challenge to digitize the lobes, not that part but then trying to improve the design. It would take one smarter then me on the lobe design.

In the 80-s I used to make billet cores for my pull tractor and send them to crane to grind the lobes I speced.

I really want to have a set of pistons made or modify a oem set and one thing for certain is getting them thermal coated, im shocked some of the turbo guys dont or maybe they do.

Its cheap now, maybe $200 on a set of 4 pistons. Again back in the 80-s I had a connection with the company who made the heat tiles on the shuttle and had a set of 8 pistons coated with the exact same material, Henium. Putting a cutting torch on a piston top and watch it glow and not melt was amazing (they sent a sample) but then it was over 4k (in 1986 money) for 8 pistons, but I ran three turbos in series at near 80 psi in a six cylinder diesel with nitrous and only water infection vs the more modern meth.

Heany Industries Inc. Ceramics and Coatings - Alumina and Zirconia Ceramics

Space Shuttle Tiles

Ive known from day one these are not high end high output cars... but neither were the neons but people still rocked them and I still have the one I bought new.

When I was 9 on my 14 horse go cart going like mad I was just as happy as the indy driver making laps. Fun is fun if we let it be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts